I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The 50 Greatest Arcade Cabinets In Video Game History! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698704)

MockBot Jan 10th, 2008 03:27 AM

The 50 Greatest Arcade Cabinets In Video Game History!

Automatically generated comment thread for The 50 Greatest Arcade Cabinets In Video Game History!.

BoMToons Jan 10th, 2008 03:52 AM

Incredible article...

Cruisin' the World though is one of my most memorable arcade games.

Poxpower Jan 10th, 2008 04:06 AM

"Computer space" ? That thing is crazy, it belongs in a museum :O
It looks like Gumby fucked a tv.

In 1971??? Crazy old.
I know there this game made in the 50s though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2E9iSQfGdg

Crazy!

Purple Man Jan 10th, 2008 05:53 AM

Wow - I had forgotten about some of these beauties..."Two Tigers" ruled my life once...

A few humble inclusions? "Gauntlet" was always a fave, because it was the first co-op game I really got into. And I always went for "The Simpsons" over TMNT every time. "Operation Wolf" and its sequel "Operation Thunderbolt" were doozies too - the first time I ever saw a gun on a cabinet.

A fantastic trip down memory lane; thanks heaps guys. Damn, where can I get these things?

MLE Jan 10th, 2008 06:03 AM

I totally remember Gauntlet ;o I was always the Valkrye.

Grishnak Jan 10th, 2008 08:00 AM

Beootifool game of football (or soccer as you say) where you rolled a sphere instead of moving joystick to play. Veeery beootifool but don't think was in usa so forget about me... :domo

Grishnak Jan 10th, 2008 08:02 AM

Oh yeah, operation wooolf! Mr Killgrave very right! And strip poker!

MilesMayhem Jan 10th, 2008 10:14 AM

i was hoping to see Lucky & Wild there, totally one of my favorite arcade games

Pentegarn Jan 10th, 2008 10:30 AM

I have a few additions I would also like to suggest.

One thing I did not see that was a fun memory for me was a style of arcade unit, the tabletop arcade game. Games like Pac Man, Moon Patrol, Galaga, Wizard of Wor, and Crazy Climber were sometimes put into tables that you could also have your drink and pizza on.

A nice looking multiplayer arcade unit would be a game called Crime Fighters, It didn't just look cool on the cabinet either, it was huge fun because you could kick your enemies while they were down and even better, at the end of every stage, you usually fought a boss that was from a mainstream horror movie. Freddy Kruger, Jason, and Leatherface all made cameos.

Smash TV was another one that I will always remember, it had such a comical look to it and was such a campy theme game wise.

Fluke Jan 10th, 2008 12:04 PM

I came...

thecatillaccat Jan 10th, 2008 02:41 PM

Alright, a comment on each page: In this page, I choose TMNT to win checkmate in 11 moves.

thecatillaccat Jan 10th, 2008 02:53 PM

Didn't realize the comments moved to all pages of the article neato. But T-Mek gets KO in round 3, and Sinistar wins the kewpie doll. Oh, yes.

MarioRPG Jan 10th, 2008 03:49 PM

I never got to experience most of these... I had no idea Computer Space even existed.

Icculus Jan 10th, 2008 04:20 PM

Ahhh, what a refreshing trip down memory lane. It gave me something to think about while I was avoiding work. I wonder if arcades would just end up throwing out the grips from paperboy for health concerns. Not that arcades were usually a shining example of cleanliness. The combination of prepubescent hand sweat and pizza grease collecting in the grooves over the years.

I know I spent enough that would equal roughly half of my college tuition on the X-men game. Jump-Fierce Attack-Jump-Fierce Attack. Also one that I never got the hang of which I'm surpised wasn't included is Dragons Lair, especially for as cutting edge as it was when it came out (I think it cost $1.00 to play, which would be like $43 dollars today).

In New York City a few months ago and there is a Bar called Barcade that has about 30 different classic arcade games and they keep track of high scores on a chalk board. Its exciting. Played Tapper for about 2 hours.

Mormon_Norman Jan 10th, 2008 04:44 PM

Well done - what a splendid article written by two nice young men.

I distinctly remember the Time Traveler "hologram" game. This was the ultimate excitement for me as a 13-year old boy, even if they weren't real holograms. I also had weird demonic action figure toys that had removable souls with holographic images. The packaging warned not to immerse the toys in water, which of course I did, in the bathtub, to see if the demonic spirit would be released from his plastic prison. Does anybody else remember these toys? I've forgotten what they were called.

Kissarmy4life Jan 10th, 2008 05:28 PM

this is one LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG article!

Ausohj Jan 10th, 2008 05:55 PM

didn't Arm Kings break a few arms? Now that's an arcade game!

PeanutBoy Jan 10th, 2008 06:13 PM

I remember the X-Men one, it was...

Awesome

calavera Jan 10th, 2008 07:19 PM

that was great! it really took me back to my childhood, going to blackpool with my bro and spending a stupid amount of 20p coins XD

actaually, its just reminded me to set up my home arcade machine! im not sure what to stick in it tho:
cap'n american and the avengers, cap'n commando, avp, simpsons, xmen, aliens, or the punisher... the choices are endless!

Ferrit Jan 10th, 2008 07:45 PM

I miss arcades :( Used to be a staple of every mall. Now I don't know of any in my area (East Coast) that are like the ones I grew up with - dank, loud, buzzing, dangerous. All that's left now are arcades bosting a few older cabinet games and a bunch of Dance Dance Revolution set ups. Only one I actually still know of is up in the middle of the white mountains of NH, attached to a 2 lane bowling ally, mini golf, run down extravaganza called " UN T WN", which I'm assuming is missing its F an O, or is something really dirty. Seasonal place only open in the summer. Last and only time I was there the old geezer that ran the place shuffled out to greet us. "Heh, you guys wanna play the games do ya?" he snickered as he limped out back to start up the generator that powered the room. Granted, having Pac and Mrs Pac, and Moon Patrol and a working BattleZone and Tron Deadly Disks along side Galaga, Galaxian and a few others was a nice boost of nostalgia, but raccoons had nested in some of the cabinets and each screen needed to be wiped down from the decade of dust accumulated. I think the newest game there was The Simpsons.
Place has closed down, to be turned into whatever it is they turn things into up in the forest primeval up there, and I'm kicking myself for not being around when the old guy had a big sale and got rid of all his cabinets. I'm assuming they were going for dirt cheap.

BurntToShreds Jan 10th, 2008 08:35 PM

I would've liked to see a Triforce cabinet in the list. Nintendo, Namco, and Sega worked together to make it. It even let's you insert a Gamecube memory card for the F-Zero game they made for it. It tilts left and right (As long as you buckle up, of course!) as well. One helluva ride. Here's a look at both versions(I played on the original cabinet): http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10971

lumpisan Jan 10th, 2008 08:44 PM

Nice article...Ive seen black painted versions of diretruck at a hotel...and i agree for the most part with your listings

Tetsu Deinonychus Jan 10th, 2008 09:14 PM

I strongly suggest Virtua-On, Virtua Fighter 2, and The Lost World!

Virtua-On's cabinet was similar to T-Mek.

Virtua Fighter 2's cabinet was just plain pretty, a nice paint job.

And, The Lost World had you sit in miniature car with a big monitor as the windshield!

Mullon Jan 10th, 2008 09:59 PM

Wow, Panic Park was weird. The arm wrestling game was okay, but it was too easy too cheat by using two hands. X-Men was awesome too. It is a shame that this article didn't include one of the Sega games with the HUGE machineguns. Prop Cycle is missed too.

Nick Jan 10th, 2008 10:31 PM

Midway just loves to crush dreams. >:C