I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: High School Musical 3 (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702188)

MockBot Apr 30th, 2009 02:24 AM

Weekly Movie Review: High School Musical 3

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: High School Musical 3.

Tetsu Deinonychus Apr 30th, 2009 02:37 AM

Sounds fun.

But, can there really be a musical more "so bad it's good" than Nudist Colony Of The Dead (yes, that's a musical)?

You know, I was avoiding these High School Musical flicks like the plague. But, if they're this wonderfully, hilariously awful, I might have to have a marathon of them.

Still, if any sequel to a Disney Channel movie got the theatrical treatment, it should have been a Halloweentown movie. I love those.

mburbank Apr 30th, 2009 08:10 AM

Halloweentown ROCKED until they got a fake Marnie.

Tetsu Deinonychus Apr 30th, 2009 11:18 AM

I didn't mind Marnie II so much (I find Sara Paxton rather cute), but the original Marnie (Kimberly J.Brown) was definitely much better.

(I only know the names of the actresses because of a quick Wikipedia search, I swear)

Protoclown Apr 30th, 2009 10:11 PM

Max, I don't know how serious you are about this, but you'd best watch yourself. You are well on your way to earning a gut punch in San Diego, my friend.

peh_ May 1st, 2009 04:37 AM

Be careful. I'm getting tired of posts on this site of people taking the mock reviews seriously, even if you state it's a joke... But I for one thought that this film deserves placement with the likes of "Citizen Kane". (Just a joke, Zach stars in "Me and Orson Welles" which is apparently a fine film and... ah forget it....)

Ferrit May 1st, 2009 09:10 PM

I'm...um...I'm still not going to see it. They haven't created a drug strong enough for me to enjoy something like this. Unless there's zombies in it? Are there zombies in it? I didn't think so.

Copper May 2nd, 2009 12:24 AM

I believe the zombies are the ones trudging off to the theater to see it...or sending their parents out to buy it.

Of course, it might be hypocritical of me, but I'm absolutely in love with Effron's eyes. I'm a sucker for a pair of baby blues. I also liked the music in the first one but only one song in the second and have heard nothing from the third. Given that the soundtrack is supposed to be the highlight of the films (It's High School *Musical*, after all), I don't feel too badly about that.

mburbank May 2nd, 2009 07:48 AM

Yeah, when it's all high camp cool a decade from now you looosers will know how AHEAD OF THE FRIGGIN' CURVE I WAS!

Julio May 2nd, 2009 09:54 AM

I haven't seen any of those flicks so, if they are as good as Max says, maybe the one deserving the gut punch is me.

Nick May 2nd, 2009 04:12 PM

I think Proto has the right idea about this.

Tetsu Deinonychus May 2nd, 2009 09:14 PM

I'm with Max on this.

You guys just don't appreciate the wonderful ridiculousness of cheesy Disney-channel nonsense.

Trust me, Disney channel stuff is just as hilariously bad as many of the cheesy, 80s horror/sci-fi/action movies we all hold so dear, and for many of the same reasons.

Anybody ever see the made for TV remake of Witch Mountain back in the late '90s?

Copper May 3rd, 2009 03:10 AM

Wait, they did a remake *before* the one with Dwayne Johnson?

Tetsu Deinonychus May 3rd, 2009 11:29 AM

Yep! They did alot of made for TV remakes of their classic films in the late '90s. It was also when the Disney Channel was first starting to target the teens.

Marthaeus Autolykos May 3rd, 2009 07:58 PM

This reminds me a lot of a musical I had the misfortune of performing in during my high school years. I absolutely HATE musicals; it causes a total loss of "suspension of disbelief." It's like a scenario in which somebody's mom dies so he spontaneously bursts into a synchronized song and dance routine with 20 random strangers he's never before met in his life. It's simply far too phony and I can't deal with it. Anyhow, I was horrified to discover that the main production of my senior year was a musical called "Homeroom" after I was cast and handed a script. Skimming through the dialoge revealed a tome of inane drivel and whining. "Wahh, I have too much homework." "Wahhh my parents don't understand me." "Waaahhhh girls don't like me." "Waaaah my parents might be getting a divorce." Consequently, I reinvented my character as the "you think YOU have problems?" tough guy who spent a lot of time rolling eyes in disgust, and for my obligatory musical numbers, I went for a "Mackie Messer" vocal style to further emphasize my disdain over this production....and it startled me that people flagged me down for quite a while asking for autographs...and I wasn't even "acting."

Poxpower May 3rd, 2009 11:35 PM

So you're gay now? Is this what this is about?

mburbank May 4th, 2009 10:02 AM

Who, me, or the guy who posted right before you?

Alcibiades May 4th, 2009 01:33 PM

Hold your ground men! My fellow nerds!
I see in your eyes the same fear of the cheesy Disney crap that would claim me!
A day may come that people will look back on High School Musical and declare it the new camp. But it is not this day.
A day may come, where people will look back on shows that were canceled after one season from this year and hail them as forgotten treasures, looking for any piece of memorabilia they can find... but it is not this day!
This day we watch House and Family Guy!
For all that you hold dear, I bid you watch the semi-decent entertainment now and wait to see what becomes cult later! Rise! Men of the Nets!

mburbank May 4th, 2009 01:46 PM

I get you reference, Al Sobuyadese.

spleek May 4th, 2009 03:27 PM

Since we have the Cobra command strongly represented here I propose that Mr.Burbank review GIJoe:Resolute in the near future?? That is, if he can squeeze it in amoung the HSMusical viewings???

Pentegarn May 4th, 2009 03:44 PM

When is the review on Teen Witch coming Max?

Tadao May 4th, 2009 09:36 PM

I'm sure Max's cheap ass is gonna spring for Hannah Montana tickets.

hisholiness May 5th, 2009 05:43 AM

That brunette chick has a hairy bush.

Aries May 5th, 2009 04:43 PM

High School Musical 3 is about the most blatant and deliberate gay allegory ever made in recent Hollywood.

All the explicit stuff about career and study choices after graduating is a total smokescreen. The film's seeming chasteness neatly offsets any conflicts with the subtext of the boy-girl sexual chemistry. It certainly isn't an old-fashioned warning against teenage sexual precocity, as over-optimistically suggested in some conservative circles. On the contrary, it's ONLY about sex!

Nearly all the male protagonists (apart from perhaps the geeky token hetero 'Rocket Man' character) are questioning their sexuality to one degree or another - and, as in the long history of film musicals, the stories' subtexts are all told in an obvious code through the songs (via the lyrics and the language of the elaborate dance routines) and the overall plot development, with theatre and basketball being the most obvious symbols of homo and heterosexuality.

If you don't believe me, here are the lyrics to the song "Scream:"

Voices in my head
Tell me they know best
Got me on the edge
they're pushin', pushin',
they're pushin'
I know they've got a plan
But the balls in my hands
This time its man-to-man,
I'm driving, fighting inside

A world that's upside down
Spinning faster
What do I do now? Without you

I don't know, where to go, what's the right team?
I want my own thing. So bad I'm gonna Scream!
I can't choose, so confused! What's it all mean?
I want my own dream. So bad I'm gonna Scream!

Captain PirateFace May 12th, 2009 09:48 AM

What a waste of film. I would rather have my balls stapled to my eyelids then watch this film.