I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What's some good ska? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21753)

Esuohlim Jul 7th, 2006 12:17 PM

What's some good ska?

I'm getting a little burnt out on Zappa/Vai guitar rock and I'm currently tired of sarcastic and paranoid Oingo Boingo/XTC pop. I've listened to some Reel Big Fish and Mighty Mighty Bosstones clips and it sounds good, but these are relatively well-known and there are probably some obscure-yet-better ska bands out there under my radar.

I'm not really interested in punk-heavy ska as much as the more poppy upbeat kind, and don't recommend Sublime because that's just gay. >:

KevinTheOmnivore Jul 7th, 2006 12:28 PM

Toasters? mephiskaphiles?

iron mitchell Jul 7th, 2006 12:34 PM

n/a

Miss Modular Jul 7th, 2006 01:41 PM

Skatalites
Prince Buster
Desmond Dekker

executioneer Jul 7th, 2006 02:11 PM

do vegans eat eggs

Esuohlim Jul 7th, 2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer
do vegans eat eggs

why does ska suck?

Esuohlim Jul 7th, 2006 02:58 PM

Maybe I should consult the Ska Termination Page they might have a good list there :x

EDIT: Nevermind everyone I have made my decision based on this review, thanks for all your help!

Krythor Jul 7th, 2006 06:18 PM

MANU CHAO

executioneer Jul 7th, 2006 07:38 PM

my fav. ska is hamburgers

ScruU2wice Jul 12th, 2006 12:10 AM

the stuff that everyone likes is Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and Kids Table, Mustard Plug, but those seem pretty punk influenced to me. Their still worth listening to a couple songs of if you get the chance.

The Aquabats are awesome if you're into dorky peewee's playhouseish type of stuff.

Johnny Saacko is really good band that I think would be the best

My personal favorite band is Suburban Legends.

I don't know if you'll like the music I like though.

Rongi Jul 12th, 2006 01:44 PM

spider nick & the mad dogs are a pretty great ska band. i saw them live a few months ago, they put on a really energetic and fun show. a lot of faggy scene kids were there though

pietasters are also worth a listen

Esuohlim Jul 12th, 2006 02:06 PM

It figures that I would find the Aquabats awesome right away. :(

And Spider Nick is the only band so far I've sampled that doesn't have songs that are all same-y. I tried three clips, one sounded like fast-paced lounge music, one sounded like a Sonic the Hedgehog level, and one had a great jazzy saxophone solo.

I think I'll go with those two. :(

Rongi Jul 12th, 2006 02:49 PM

spider nick actually comes from my hometown :). they're probably the only good band to come out of Long Island, actually :(

it might be hard to find their stuff, they're not exactly a well known band.

Sacks Jul 13th, 2006 02:51 AM

THE AQUABATS ARE NOT SKA.

That is all.

Esuohlim Jul 13th, 2006 01:08 PM

Oh well according to Wikipedia they are and also one of their influences was Oingo Boingo so I like them right away so Sacks go back to Fifth Avenue.

noob3 Jul 13th, 2006 06:29 PM

aquabats is the original band for travis barker from blink 182

gay!

Sacks Jul 13th, 2006 08:49 PM

Wikipedia can stuff it. The Aquabats = Aquabeat. If you absolutely have to label them as something because you're musically retarded or OCD or something, they're surf. Also, take note that I'm talking about their first 2 albums because if you can listen to their recent albums and say they're ska then you just need to be shoved into a knife hole. Ska =/= "punk rock with horns".

ScruU2wice Jul 14th, 2006 01:05 AM

there new stuff is self admittedly less trying to be ska. They're still really good, and they'll probably always be associated with ska.

There shows are still filled with ska kids if that's any sort of litmus test.

Sacks Jul 14th, 2006 12:47 PM

Exactly! 'Ska kids' know shit about ska, just that third wave trash. Disagree? Go eat a fire ant pie! :explode

Esuohlim Jul 14th, 2006 01:49 PM

Well I have poor musical taste and I already know that what I like to listen to isn't any good so it saves me the trouble of worrying about it. :(

executioneer Jul 14th, 2006 02:18 PM

guys quit posting in this thread youre making iron mitchell mad

Rez Jul 14th, 2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim
so Sacks go back to Fifth Avenue.

:lol

this thread is like seeing a kid wearing an oversized helmet.

Zen444 Jul 22nd, 2006 11:52 AM

Lol, oxymoron. "Good ska."

Fathom Zero Jul 23rd, 2006 04:18 AM

Catch 22 is excellent.

-GROG- Jul 23rd, 2006 09:56 PM

Sublime. but its so popular so never mind.