I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports & Health (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The thread where baseball lovers lament wintertime (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701110)

sspadowsky Nov 20th, 2008 08:59 PM

The thread where baseball lovers lament wintertime

"What do I do when there's no baseball? I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

-Rogers Hornsby

Here we will discuss picks for next year, any interesting trades or signings or what-have-you, and what-not. This is for baseball and baseball only, because all other sports, especially basketball, should be burned down.

george Nov 20th, 2008 10:54 PM

uh, thats how i feel after football is over.

but we had a local semi-pro team this year:

THE SOUTHERN MARYLAND BLUE CRABS!!!!

i never carried out a plan to become the most awesome superfan ever, and instead missed every game. :( but i know that people loved having a team and stadium to go watch games, and the high school teams held the county championship there.

and this year i am looking forward to ball season.

so i can sympathize buddy.

WhiteRat Nov 21st, 2008 03:02 PM

Yeah, i'm already itching for baseball season to roll around again. The Twins were so close to winning the division (and they got hosed by that bullshit coin flip) that the taste of the playoffs is still in my mouth.

Rumor on the street is that the Twins are close to signing Casey Blake. Also, it's been said that Delmon Young can be expected to be traded as we are absolutely loaded in the outfield and he doesn't mesh well with the clubhouse.

McClain Nov 24th, 2008 02:07 PM

We can talk about how my city's minor league team renamed themselves from the Wizards to the Tin Caps after the native Johnny Appleseed (for which we also have an annual festival - it's actually quite popular).

http://www.tincaps.com/

They're already being referenced as the Potheads.

Colonel Flagg Nov 25th, 2008 10:15 AM

:lol

pac-man Nov 25th, 2008 12:37 PM

I love baseball, but football season is where it's at.

WhiteRat Nov 25th, 2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pac-man (Post 597217)
I love baseball, but football season is where it's at.

'Tis true, but I enjoy watching baseball games almost equally because I find myself to be more relaxed and at ease. Where as watching football games causes me to throw stuff and drink massive amounts of alcohol when things don't go my way.

pac-man Nov 25th, 2008 11:30 PM

Well said.

WhiteRat Nov 27th, 2008 01:24 PM

Twins unviel new throwback jerseys to comemmorate the last year playing in the Metrodome:

sspadowsky Nov 27th, 2008 04:54 PM

It's kind of hard to get nostalgic about a park which only has a 28-year history with the team.

WhiteRat Nov 27th, 2008 09:22 PM

Well, we did win 2 World Series in that piece of shit.

sspadowsky Nov 27th, 2008 10:37 PM

Hahaha, true enough. The hefty bag in right and the plexiglass in left (before they took it down) did give it as much personality as you can give a staduim like that.

I was bummed that they tore down Busch Stadium. They put a lot of work into changing it from a faceless, cookie-cutter stadium, and made it look like a real ballpark. Before too long, it was the only "cookie-cutter" stadium left. Then they tore it down, and built a new ballpark that looks just like all the other new ballparks.

Colonel Flagg Dec 5th, 2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspadowsky (Post 597975)
I was bummed that they tore down Busch Stadium. They put a lot of work into changing it from a faceless, cookie-cutter stadium, and made it look like a real ballpark. [...] Then they tore it down, and built a new ballpark that looks just like all the other new ballparks.

Ah, irony. :(

WhiteRat Dec 9th, 2008 06:53 PM

At first glance I thought I was reading The Onion:

Quote:

Scott Erickson won 20 games for the Twins in 1991, and he reportedly would like a chance to do it again.
According to a report on cbssports.com, the 40-year-old right-hander approached the Twins about a comeback. Erickson last pitched in 2006, making nine largely unsuccessful relief appearances for the Yankees, and has not pitched more than 55 innings since 2002.
The Twins are understandably skeptical.
"I told him to go get a job in winter ball and let's see what you can do," general manager Bill Smith told the Web site.
Erickson has not joined a winter league team, so the comeback apparently remains in limbo. Erickson won 142 games over 15 major league seasons, including 61 victories with the Twins, ranking 11th in franchise history.

El Blanco Dec 9th, 2008 09:29 PM

Mets sign K-Rod.

Does it mean there is something wrong with me if I happen to be sure this is a bad signing? His K/BB ratio is worse than Fuentes and Woods. He has ankle problems, His motion puts too much stress on his arm. And "closer" is a bullshit concept anyway.

Also, Woods wouldn't have cost them a draft pick.

WhiteRat Dec 9th, 2008 10:21 PM

I hear "Woods" and all I see are Band-Aids.

El Blanco Dec 10th, 2008 09:42 AM

I think has more to do with the Cubs that Woods himself. His isn't the only pitching career they've shortened.

pac-man Dec 10th, 2008 11:56 PM

Yankees drop a shit ton of money in CC Sabathia's lap.

Fuck the Yankees.

WhiteRat Dec 12th, 2008 09:23 PM

Yankees apparently ready to drop a shit ton of money in AJ Burnett's lap.

Fuck the Yankees.

MattJack Dec 12th, 2008 09:43 PM

Yankees dropped about $245,000,000 on TWO players!

:lol

If CC doesn't win a championship this season New Yorkers will crucify him. Unjustly too I might add.

pac-man Dec 13th, 2008 06:56 AM

If they get Manny or another high profile free agent I'm going to boycott next season.

MattJack Dec 13th, 2008 08:22 PM

Not me. I'd love to see them spend a half a billion just because when they lose in the playoffs again it will be so much sweeter.

sspadowsky Dec 17th, 2008 05:51 PM

Spending a shit-ton of money has sure helped them in the last ten years; I'm certain it will work this year.

On the flip side, we have the Cardinals, who signed Trever Miller and Khalil Greene, and then proceeded to do absolutely fuck-all during the winter meetings.

The Yankees may have just thrown money down a hole again, but at least they did SOMETHING.

Fucking cheap-ass Cardinals front office. >:

pac-man Dec 17th, 2008 08:32 PM

Cheap ass Orioles aren't going to pony up the cash to land Mark Teixeira it seems. One of the best players available, a Baltimore native, and he wants to play there, and these jackasses won't pay him. Fortunately for him, he'll be able to make plenty of road trips to Camden Yards when the Red Sox get him. >:

:tear

WhiteRat Dec 17th, 2008 09:44 PM

Cheap ass Twins don't want to pony up any money for anyone. Small markets are the best I tell ya!>: