I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best news ever! New Joe Strummer album!! :eek (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5693)

Les Waste Sep 1st, 2003 08:26 PM

Best news ever! New Joe Strummer album!! :eek

I had a link but I lost it oh well :(

Hellcat records, Strummer's label when he kicked it, is releasing "Streetcore," the record Joe and the Mescaleros were working on when he, well, kicked it. The album includes a cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song," as well as a few songs Strummer was playing during concerts in 2002 ("Get Down, Moses") as well as plenty of new material.

It's in the new issue of Rolling Stone, apparently.

Rongi Sep 1st, 2003 09:38 PM

There aren't enough emoticons for what I'm feeling.

So I'll narrow it down to one.

:wank

Protoclown Sep 2nd, 2003 12:44 PM

Dude, it's gonna suck, he's dead

whoreable Sep 2nd, 2003 12:53 PM

http://media.epitaph.com/_tmp/stream...-Coma_Girl.ram

Protoclown Sep 2nd, 2003 12:55 PM

In all seriousness, I am thrilled that they actually had enough done already to complete the album and I can't wait to hear it.

Helm Sep 2nd, 2003 01:13 PM

So I guess him being dead was a hoax, huh?

(WARNING: THIS IS A JOKE POST! PLEASE DON'T GET ANGRY AT ME I'M FRAGILE)

Rongi Sep 2nd, 2003 01:20 PM

YOU FUCKING INSENSITIVE FUCKER :tear

Les Waste Sep 2nd, 2003 04:35 PM

That's the first time I've heard Coma Girl, and it fucking rules. As much as I can't wait for this album, it's also going to be extremely depressing knowing that this is going to be the last new material I'lll ever hear from Joe. But that's just cause I suck. It would be different if what he was working on when he died sucked, but it's so good that I'd like to hear more. He seriously has the best voice ever. :(

See, Strummer has made so much material after the Clash broke up that has been b-sides or singles or unreleased songs, they could easily make an album out of it. Not counting this upcoming one or movie soundtracks, he's only done three albums in the last twenty years. I'd love to have an album with songs like Aud in the Pouring Rain or Choloe Vest or Ammunition, even if they were live versions.

Les Waste Sep 3rd, 2003 06:25 PM

According to strummernews.com, here's the tracklist:

Coma Girl
Get Down Moses
Long Shadow
Arms Aloft
Ramshackle Day Parade
Redemption Song
All in a Day
Burnin' Streets
Midnight Jam
Silver and Gold

Here's the cover art:

I don't get it :(

And here's the cover for Coma Girl, the first single:

Rongi Sep 3rd, 2003 09:05 PM

That Redemption Song is going to be one fine pimp mobile :hat

Protoclown Sep 4th, 2003 12:28 PM

I had NO idea that they were far enough along on the album when he died to actually release anything.

When is this album coming out again?

Rongi Sep 4th, 2003 02:40 PM

Either October 4th or the 27th

I could be totally wrong here, because I heard them from two different sources.

ShanghaiOrange Sep 4th, 2003 07:51 PM

It has to come out on October 4th, because that's Les Waste's birthday. :(

This will be a good album.

I'll have to trade money for it. :(

Les Waste Sep 4th, 2003 09:08 PM

From what I've read online, it was originally slated for October 4th, but it's been pushed back several times and will probably come out in later October.

And Proto, if there's one thing I've learned about Joe's career, it's that he records PILES of music that doesn't make it onto albums, and never even gets released. Example: He recorded an extremely rare to find cover of Pete Seager's Viva La Quince Brigada, and you could make an album out of songs that were cut out of Combat Rock (Kill Time, The Beautiful People are Ugly Too, etc. and the original, unedited versions of Straight to Hell, Ghetto Defendant, Know your Rights, Sean Flynn, et al.)

I imagine he's like one of these musicians who records dozens of songs, and than takes the best ones and puts them on an albums. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the last Strummer album. :fingers crossed

Rongi Sep 4th, 2003 09:52 PM

I wish Strummer would rise from the grave. He'd be zombie strummer and he'd kick even more ass :(

I really miss him :(

Buffalo Tom Sep 10th, 2003 05:23 PM

Strangely enough, the local video music station played Mescaleros video, and promptly followed it with a video from Sum 41. I guess they were implying that they were the rightful successors to Joe's legacy.

Music sucks without Joe Strummer.

Les Waste Sep 10th, 2003 07:36 PM

What song was the video for?

I've only seen two Mescalero videos before: Tony Adams and Johnny Appleseed, and those were kind of like the "singles" from both albums, so I'm guessing it was one of those.

And I downloaded both of those from his website back when it actually had stuff on it. I've never seen one on TV. :(