I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best storylines in a game series (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3921)

James Jun 11th, 2003 07:16 PM

Best storylines in a game series

Continuing the semi-trend of making threads for various categories.

What games do you feel have the best storylines to them? Remember, it has to be a series. And, you know, continuity always makes for a great story too. So in other words, I don't think Zelda would count as to having a great story.

Mortal Kombat: Granted, it's not the deepest in the world. But there is a lot to it, and more than any other fighting game. And there is a lot of open ends to continue branching the story out without making it feel disconnected. I'm mildly obsessed with the story of MK, but I imagine you all know that by now (ask me anything. ASK ME ANYTHING).

All things Blizzard: Yes, that includes Starcraft (I consider it a series, since there's the expansion and SC: Ghost, which I imagine will factor into the overall story). The Diablo series is a little iffy, but it's still got a lot going for it, ESPECIALLY if you read the booklets. But WC and SC definitely have an excellent storyline that plays out during the games.

Resident Evil: It's cheesy, filled with B-movie themes and plot devices, and... it's cheesy. But I'll be damned if the overall story for the series isn't so fucking awesome. They're something very enjoyable about it.

Schimid Jun 11th, 2003 07:23 PM

Fallout, Eternal Darkness, and FF7.

James Jun 11th, 2003 07:25 PM

Someone should punch you in your right kidney.

Rongi Jun 11th, 2003 07:28 PM

Silent Hill had the creepiest fucking plot ever. I couldn't even finish it. The school part scared the living shit out of me :(

soundtest Jun 11th, 2003 07:39 PM

Metal Gear. I don't like where they went with MGS2, and I'd be a lot happier it if they'd lose the freaks that IMO take away from the story (Vamp? :rolleyes), but other than that it's decent.

James Jun 11th, 2003 07:40 PM

Vamp is the greatest enemy ever.

Yeah, MGS has a decent storyline (and I liked the change to Raiden. It was unexpected, ballsy, and I didn't see a reason to bitch about him), but it felt a little too detached between games.

ItalianStereotype Jun 11th, 2003 07:47 PM

Legacy of Kain series. I even like the Soul Reaver storyline, just not the games themselves.

AChimp Jun 11th, 2003 07:59 PM

Baldur's Gate, and to a lesser extent, Icewind Dale.

Les Waste Jun 11th, 2003 08:30 PM

The Metroid series.

Zomboid Jun 11th, 2003 10:00 PM

I agree with silent hill, resident evil, and fallout series (...s).

James Jun 11th, 2003 10:13 PM

I gotta disagree with Metroid. The stories for each game ends up being summed up in a paragraph or two either in the book, or in the beginning of the game, and there's no progression of the story during the game.

But maybe that's changed with Prime and Fusion. But still.

AChimp Jun 11th, 2003 10:25 PM

You homos.

This thread was supposed to end when I said "Baldur's Gate." >:

Anonymous Jun 11th, 2003 10:32 PM

MARATHON

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/

Halo is only a prequel :<

Mockery Jun 12th, 2003 12:29 AM

Starcraft and the Resident Evil games that I've played have had me hooked as far as the stories go. A lot of old NES games I enjoyed too, though they weren't as deep.

UnDeath Jun 12th, 2003 03:18 AM

the KoF series (well, those that had a story attached, a few were just put out there to appease the fans), Planescape: Torment (if anything, you are more or less a zombie with a working brain), and of course the Fallout series.

Ninjavenom Jun 12th, 2003 06:03 AM

Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, and KOF all had awesome stories and fuckin' cool characters.

timrpgland Jun 12th, 2003 10:40 AM

The Ogre series, FFIV-FFVII :) , Xeno series (so far), BOF (haven't played 5), and Front Mission.

Grazzt Jun 12th, 2003 11:36 AM

You all know that I'm going to agree with Torment, since I feel it's my duty to push this game endlessly.

Other than that, the story for the Blood games is fun, and almost every adventure game Sierra made, but especially Space Quest and Quest for Glory.

James Jun 12th, 2003 12:14 PM

Err, Tim? We already established FF doesn't count. Do any of those other games (aside from Xeno) have any continuity?

Same goes for Grazzt's picks.

soundtest Jun 12th, 2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
Vamp is the greatest enemy ever.

I'll admit I'm not picking it up here, but you have to be joking.

Let me rephrase: I don't despise the freaks, I just think they'd do so much better in a game I wasn't trying to take seriously. It throws me off and kinda hurts my feelings. One minute I'm getting into this deep and intriguing story revolving around government and military conspiracy or whatever, the next thing I've got some bald fat fuck on ROLLERSKATES hurling bombs everywhere. Amazing.

I didn't mind Raiden that much.

timrpgland Jun 12th, 2003 01:26 PM

Oh ok, I see what you're saying.

Metal Gear, Arc the Lad, and Xeno still counts.

James Jun 12th, 2003 01:30 PM

Fucking double-post.

James Jun 12th, 2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundtest
I'll admit I'm not picking it up here, but you have to be joking.

Vamp is just awesome. You can't go wrong with a guy who fucked the father of the leader of the group he's currently in. At least, that's how I remember it. And then, didn't he fuck the daughter too?

Him and Psycho Mantis rule the school.

timrpgland Jun 12th, 2003 01:36 PM

Speaking of psycho mantis (he's kick ass). He is still beatable with the 1st controller, just takes a while. "WHY CAN'T I READ YOUR MIND!?" "YOU LIKE CASTLEVANIA???" "YOU LIKE AZURE DREAMS??"

James Jun 12th, 2003 01:40 PM

There has yet to be a boss battle that rivals the genius of Psycho Mantis'.