I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tales from the Longbox #25: "U.S. 1, Part One"! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699696)

MockBot May 7th, 2008 11:16 AM

Tales from the Longbox #25: "U.S. 1, Part One"!

Automatically generated comment thread for Tales from the Longbox #25: "U.S. 1, Part One"!.

Nick May 7th, 2008 02:24 PM

I want to know exactly who thought it would be a great idea to make this comic.

Colonel Flagg May 7th, 2008 03:41 PM

Does anyone else think it strange that "Wide-Load" sports a Princess Leia 'do - many years before there was a Princess Leia? It makes you wonder what George Lucas was reading in those days.

Pure, ripe, smelly Gorgonzola. For sheer unintentional humor value, Proto, this was the world's best bargain.

executioneer May 7th, 2008 03:43 PM

since when is 1983 before princess leia

BakaGaijin May 7th, 2008 05:02 PM

God, I hope the next 6 issues answer all of the questions left by the first 6... otherwise, I'll have to kill myself before I go mad!

Mac Brookman May 7th, 2008 05:32 PM

Marvel's attempt at trying to break into the truckers demography of comic book readers failed miserably.

Gilgongo May 7th, 2008 07:07 PM

Well, this was the era of BJ and the Bear, Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy ect...
There was a well established trucker fad in the late 70s the Marvel was clearly trying to cash in on. Looks like they jumped on the bandwagon a little late with this awful book. I'm amazed this made it a whole 12 issues.

Mockery May 7th, 2008 07:35 PM

I bet Jack Burton used to read this comic. And I expect to see at least one reference to him and/or Maximum Overdrive in the next Longbox installment!

captain516 May 7th, 2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

in the quarter bin I found not just the first issue of U.S. 1, but all 12-issues.
Why is it that you always seem to find such great stuff in the bargain bins, Proto? My shop's bin only has obscure 90's comics.

Colonel Flagg May 7th, 2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 554052)
since when is 1983 before princess leia

Oooooopsie. Early onset Alzheimer's kicking in. I guess it's all downhill from here. :(

Doctor_Who May 7th, 2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Why is it that you always seem to find such great stuff in the bargain bins, Proto? My shop's bin only has obscure 90's comics.
Yeah, if I were at all interested in the collected works or Rob Liefeld the bargain bin would be a great find. "Ooh, this is the issue starring a guy with pouches and guns who is built like a coffin with a tomato on top! I've been looking everywhere for it!"

Protoclown May 8th, 2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 554138)
I bet Jack Burton used to read this comic. And I expect to see at least one reference to him and/or Maximum Overdrive in the next Longbox installment!

There was a Maximum Overdrive reference in this. Clearly someone wasn't reading carefully enough. :p

medevac May 8th, 2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoclown (Post 554215)
There was a Maximum Overdrive reference in this. Clearly someone wasn't reading carefully enough. :p

Yep the Green Goblin head. Of all the things on I-mockery I love, hands down the Longbox is my favorite. I stopped reading in the early 90's when I was expected to fork over $20 for a black and silver Spiderman #1 on the day it came out.

I love the 99 cent box (used to be the 25 cent box) where you could find a gluttony of Radioactive Adolescent Black-belt Hamster books and of course the two-issue Theown series. Ahh the Charlotte Heroes Convention, how I miss you!

Tetsu Deinonychus May 8th, 2008 03:56 AM

Wow, this is like a Redneck version of Speed Racer!

This also looks horrible.

Protoclown, you're a very brave person for reading this. I commend you!

Copper May 8th, 2008 09:17 AM

Goofy as all hell, but is it wrong of me to want to know how it ends? *laughs*

saturnknight May 8th, 2008 11:15 AM

it sucks.... yet it's hard not to read, it's like cocaine, or some other drug. lol

i'd expect "Over The Top" references though lol

Mockery May 8th, 2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoclown (Post 554215)

Hahaha, how did I miss that caption?? Excellent. Your future here at I-Mockery Enterprises is no longer in jeopardy. However, if you want that promotion to Senior VP of ROFLs with the nice corner office, you'd better work Jack Burton into part deux (and as saturnknight suggested, some Over The Top references couldn't hurt your chances either).

Jaimas May 8th, 2008 03:16 PM

I'm amazed no one else pointed out that US's truck sort of resembles Optimus Prime.

executioneer May 8th, 2008 03:55 PM

apart from protoclown, you mean?

Poxpower May 8th, 2008 06:14 PM

Always I wonder: how on earth did they manage to get this team of relatively talented people to shit out 12 issues of that crap? Who paid for this?
There's no way this was a commercial success. I think X-Men might have paid for thousands of issues of Crystar and Trolls comics.

greenimp May 9th, 2008 03:02 AM

2nd page on the 11th pic down, is he wearing heels???

executioneer May 9th, 2008 03:10 AM

i think they're cowboy boots

Kitsunexus May 9th, 2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

The Highwayman. So skilled that when he laughs he can catch the "HA"s and save them for later.
I laughed so hard I punctured a lung! XD

Goronian May 9th, 2008 02:39 PM

Never before have we seen a superh... Su.. He... Action comic book lead with nothing interesting associated with him, aside from trucks and cliches. Clearly the mankind is safe in the hands of US1. Oh bother...

mburbank May 9th, 2008 03:37 PM

Thank you Protoclown.