I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Concerts you've been to. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21131)

Girl Drink Drunk May 2nd, 2006 06:21 PM

Concerts you've been to.

The first concert I ever went to was this Supertramp concert in the Summer of 2002, for they were supporting their album,Slow Motion, and had played here before (I believe my dad had seen them play there a longass time ago. Having played my parents Crime of the Century cassette all the time (that and the Doors Soundtrack, back then) I was happy to hear that they would be playing at the Moncton Colliseum. I was a little dissapointed to hear that their lead singer and guitarist, Roder Hodgeson, wasnt playing with them (who sang lead on songs like "Dreamer", and "School"), and had actually left the band back 1983). Anyways, it could have been a bit better, as I was that into their newer material, and Rick Davies's gruff vocals didn't sound that gruff (then again, the guy was in his late 50's), but it was pretty cool to hear the classic songs.

I also went to this big Rolling Stones concert just last summer, and bands like Our Lady Peace, and the Tragically Hip (they are huge in Canada) were opening up, which excited me. Maroon 5 also played there, which as bad as it sounds, despite their singer, the band itself was pretty good with their instruments. Anyways, As cool as the Stones playing here was, the experience felt a bit marred by being so far away from the stage and having to watch a lot of it on the Jumbotron. There were a few songs that I obviously wish they had played (Wild Horses, Emotional Rescue, She's a Rainbow), but hey, they sounded great, and Mick Jagger was all over the stage. getting home wasnt so fun, as there were fucking 800,000 people there, and the crowds were huge and pushing and shoving to get to the buses, and it took about 3 hours to get back.

Anyways, I just got some tickets to see Our Lady Peace, again, on the 16(I think) at the Moncton Colliseum, and I cant wait for that. I hope to ask a girl to come with me to that.

BlueOatmeal May 2nd, 2006 07:18 PM

I've been to a few concerts in my life.

I saw Bad Religion at the Tabernacle in Atlanta when I was in High School years ago. It was really fucking great.

I saw Mindless Self Indulgene 2 times at the Masquerade in Atlanta as well. As much as I like seeing MSI I can't stand 95% of the people who I have to share the room with.

Then I saw Morrissey about year ago at the Tabernacle. I really loved the show but it was 60 fucking bucks and way hella crowded due to some overselling.

sloth May 3rd, 2006 08:25 AM

I saw Sunn a while back and I couldn't walk straight afterwards. They were in nordic robes, we were all seated in enormous leather chairs and the room stank of skunk. The guy who runs the local indie music shop walked out halfway through.

Saw Isis as well, they were mammoth.

I was dragged along to Dragonforce as well - they put everything into their shows but jesus christ their fans are nerdy. Spoke to the guitarist afterwards who was mullered and kept going on about how they were a "stadium band" and "should be huge".

The best nights have probably been DnB though, DJ Hype playing a cave party in Manorca was mental. Glory days.

sadie May 3rd, 2006 11:31 AM

i really haven't seen that many bands. there are a lot of people i really want to see before it's too late...

- lots of bluegrass shows and loretta lynn at the grand ol' opry and john anderson at a middle school when i was a kid.
- huey lewis & the news (twice) when i was a teenager. once, stevie ray vaughan opened up.
- the dead (eight times) and phish (twice).
- the band.
- crosby, stills, and nash.
- the who.
- sheryl crow.
- scott miller.

plus, i've gotten to open up for .38 special, steppenwolf, the marshall tucker band, the guess who, and some other old bands like that when i was singing with a band in the late '90s.

edit: had to adjust due to previous memory lapses.

iron mitchell May 3rd, 2006 12:21 PM

re:

lots.

my two first shows were within a month of one another in mid/late 1994. one was better than ezra (before that "good" song blew up all huge and shit), skiploader, and dirty three. it was a really great show for a 13 year old.
the other was his hero is gone, logos circle seven, blacklist, and probably some more i've forgotten (maybe staynless?). it was a nice introduction to jackson/memphis hardcore punk and it stuck with me for quite some time.
it's hard to choose favorite bands i've seen. i dunno. lightning bolt, ovo, wooden wand, mogwai, lau nau, caroliner rainbow, and a few more immediately spring to mind though.

Dole May 3rd, 2006 01:16 PM

best I've seen off top of me head:
-Frank Zappa
-Nomeansno
-Rollins Band
-Youth Of Today
-The Tubes
-Reverend Horton Heat
-The Cramps

BlueOatmeal May 3rd, 2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloth
I saw Sunn a while back and I couldn't walk straight afterwards. They were in nordic robes, we were all seated in enormous leather chairs and the room stank of skunk. The guy who runs the local indie music shop walked out halfway through.

Godamn that sounds fucking awesome.

EverythingWillSuck May 3rd, 2006 03:10 PM

Re: re:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron mitchell
lots.

the other was his hero is gone

Lucky. Tragedy plays here a lot but, well... :(

I've seen uhh... a shitload of shows, ranging from huge arenas to small house shows.

I was at Coachella this past weekend, for one.

Before that, I saw Rob Zombie/Lacuna Coil. Good show, except for one of the biggest jackasses I ever met who started a fight with a 14-year old and started humping my leg during Lacuna Coil :eek :x :(

One of my favorite all-time shows was Batfest, Halloween 2005. It had Jello Biafra + Melvins, The Dicks, Zolar X, Jay Munly, and Turn Me On Dead Man. All of the acts were top notch (well, TMODM got a bit tedious) and seeing all (but one) original members of The Dicks doing probably their final show was beyond words, not to mention that Gary Floyd can still belt out a howl, even though the guy's almost sixty.

As for local, there's a community center here that I've seen some (now) big bands at when they were still starting out. Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower, Light This City, Bleeding Kansas, some others.

Johnny Couth May 3rd, 2006 03:34 PM

The only widely acclaimed bands I've seen is The Queers and Marky Ramone. I have been to a thousand local shows though.

Fathom Zero May 3rd, 2006 04:34 PM

My favourite of the few I've had the opportunity to go to was the Kiss/Aerosmith Concert in Cinncinnati.

Girl Drink Drunk May 3rd, 2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero
My favourite of the few I've had the opportunity to go to was the Kiss/Aerosmith Concert in Cinncinnati.

Holy shit thats cool.

executioneer May 3rd, 2006 08:53 PM

the first concert i went to was rob zombie/korn at the tacoma dome, which was awesome b/c the size of the venue allowed for some amazing pyrotechnics on the rob zombie sh*t

and two hawt girls in GA were trying to get me to jump down from the bleachers but i was too ascared :( :( :( OF GIRLS

since that i've seen about a dozen other concerts (most of which were les claypool-related :x)

Fathom Zero May 3rd, 2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperwulf
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero

Holy shit thats cool.

Yeah, it was awesome. Although, I was a little dissappointed because Kiss appeared first. I thought they'd be on after Aerosmith because of the fact that Laser Lights and Pyrotechnics look better in the dark. But I was wrong in the end because it was Aerosmith's Honkin' on Bobo exhibition and they had all sorts of neon lights and crap. Of course, the numerous individuals toking up didn't hurt, either.

I almost forgot about the VH1 Classic: Peter Frampton/Styx concert.
Bitchin'.

Sethomas May 4th, 2006 12:09 AM

I've been to more concerts than is even possible. I stopped keeping track in high school.

KevinTheOmnivore May 4th, 2006 10:10 AM

Kid Dynamite was the best live band I've ever seen. I saw them countless times.

I saw the Pixies a couple years back during that whole reunion tour. Not bad.

Saw Brian Wilson perform Smile two years back, and that was fantastic.

iron mitchell May 4th, 2006 10:11 AM

"Saw Brian Wilson perform Smile two years back, and that was fantastic."

you win.

Sethomas May 4th, 2006 10:53 AM

No, I WIN because I TURNED DOWN a chance to see Bryan Adams perform with Def Leppard.

Dole May 4th, 2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Saw Brian Wilson perform Smile two years back, and that was fantastic.
FUCK! how in shitting crikey did I forget that? I saw the 3rd ever performance of this. I cried 3 times. yes, I am a nonce.

adept_ninja May 5th, 2006 05:30 PM

korn and snoop dogg
obituary with aborted and vader
locust with trever dunns trio and fantomas
zeke
warped tour
dickies
many more that i cant remember

WhiteRat May 5th, 2006 07:25 PM

In was at a Great White concert. They were rockin' as always up until the point where some pyrotechnics lit the damn stage on fire. That was a huge buzzkill.

Sethomas May 6th, 2006 01:39 AM

I found this list on my old website, and looking at the last entry I'd say it was made about five point five years ago. Yes, I'm painfully aware that a great many of these acts suck, but those that suck are not the reasons for which I went to their respective shows.

Gin Blossoms
Limp Bizkit
Rammstein
Korn
The Flies
The Living End
The Offspring
Fastball
Sugar Ray
Goo-Goo Dolls
Pennywise
Powerman 5000
The Verve Pipe
Everclear
Buck Cherry
Fear Factory
Loud Mouth
Kid Rock
Staind
Korn
Dent
Three Doors Down
Papa Roach
Bloodhound Gang
Godsmack
Kottonmouth Kings
Kittie
Wheatus
Disturbed
Fuel
Greenday
Stone Temple Pilots

KevinTheOmnivore May 6th, 2006 01:02 PM

You saw the gin blossoms. :(

Girl Drink Drunk May 12th, 2006 08:45 PM

Well, the concert is fast approaching, and although I couldn't get this girl to go with me, a buddy of mine is coming with me.

Jixby Phillips May 12th, 2006 10:40 PM

the marcy brothers

Girl Drink Drunk May 21st, 2006 10:58 AM

Well, I have to say although the opening bands, Pedestrian, Jets Overhead, and the Neverending White Light were mediocore at best and had no stage presence, OLP kicked ass. They actually performed this song that had never been played on record or anywhere before. Funny anicdote,though:

When the Neverending White Lights were playing this song, in which part of it sounded like "You can't always get what you want", these drunk guys I know from school started singing the chorus to the Stones song, and at the end, they were yelling "YOU RIPPED OFF THE STONES!". Also, after these flowers were put on the keyboard, someone was yelling "THERE'S A FUNERAL ONSTAGE"