I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Game Review: Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703148)

MockBot Oct 7th, 2009 03:02 AM

Weekly Game Review: Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins.

JoeyJoJoJr Oct 7th, 2009 04:53 AM

I know how you feel Rog every time I play this I am always wishing I had a controller and it was on a bigger screen.

Kitsunexus Oct 7th, 2009 06:03 AM

I had this game before I sold my PSP. It was technically impressive (understatment of the decade, I know) and I don't regret buying it, but it was the epitome of REALLY F*CKING HARD. I know, "no shit, it's GnG" right? I knew what I was getting into, but while I can somewhat play the old SNES/arcade game, this almost made me break my PSP and had everyone within earshot thinking I had Tourrette's.

I finally sold it and bought Gradius Collection, which was thankfully MUCH easier.

saturnknight Oct 7th, 2009 08:36 AM

you should check out "Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?"
I own it and I call it the "Damn near impossible game to finish". Mainly since it actually brags about starting you off with 1000 lives. It's too easy to get killed, but it's fun, and nutorious for cheep shots.

robo_rob Oct 7th, 2009 03:16 PM

Yeah, Ghosts N Goblins = FUCKING HARD

If it's one of the PSP slim models you can hook it up to a tv, but still... I want it on a regular console too.

Wyldflame Oct 7th, 2009 04:18 PM

Yeah I've got this thing, I haven't beat it either, close, but you know how these things are, you set it down and you're done with it for at least a month.

On a side note, I don't know why everyone is so down on the PSP, the Disgaea "ports" rock my socks, I like them far more than I did on the PS2, and realistically, that's reason enough to own it.
Add to it things like GnG, The Powerstone collection, the Darkstalkers collection....

In fact I might have to buy the slim so I can hook it up to the TV....

Dr. Boogie Oct 7th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyldflame (Post 652188)
On a side note, I don't know why everyone is so down on the PSP, the Disgaea "ports" rock my socks, I like them far more than I did on the PS2, and realistically, that's reason enough to own it.
Add to it things like GnG, The Powerstone collection, the Darkstalkers collection....

It does have some good games on it, but the system itself is kinda lame. Apart from the battery providing way less game time than the DS's, some of the colors will run when there's motion on the screen (can't remember the official term for this phenomenon), the thumb joystick and D-pad are a bit awkward, and for mine at least, some of the buttons have gotten a little loose. Plus, the entire front of the system is made from some very brittle plastic.

I'd like to have a Slim that can hook up to a TV, but I'd also like some kind of hookup that would let you use a PS2 controller. If Sony could come up with some kind of adapter like that, I might actually try to get my PSP back from Rog some day.

Mockery Oct 7th, 2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie (Post 652198)
I'd like to have a Slim that can hook up to a TV, but I'd also like some kind of hookup that would let you use a PS2 controller. If Sony could come up with some kind of adapter like that, I might actually try to get my PSP back from Rog some day.

If they do that, I might not give it back. :picklehat

Julio Oct 7th, 2009 11:05 PM

Ghosts N' Goblins are one of those games that make history for having such a high level of difficulty that you actually end up cursing your own family for being reduced to a pile of bones after being touched by an enemy that you never even thought would be there.

I never managed to beat the original one on NES and I have to thank the save state function of ZSnes for allowing me to go past the entire SNES version. Otherwise, I think I would be another guy who has never known victory in this turf.

HowardC Oct 8th, 2009 01:19 AM

I absolutely HATE this series and it sucks because I really want to love it. The difficulty is the issue of course. The problem I have with it is it's "fake" difficulty and not true difficulty. Many of the problems with the original GNG were caused by poor programming (monsters showing up at completely random spots, some spots in which it's physically impossibly to dodge them, poor jumping control, poor firing control ect..) and unfortunately they have been carried over all of these years. It reminds me of bionic command in this respect. So while I always enjoyed the characters and visuals of the game I could never really like it. Keep in mind I LOVE hard games so that isn't it, I just don't like the ones where poor gameplay mechanics are what cause the difficulty. I had a blast with Meg Man 9 for example and beat it farily quickly.

HowardC Oct 8th, 2009 01:21 AM

Oh btw... the fact that it's on the crappy psp takes several points off as well. If it must be released on a system it should be the DS seeing has how the DS has actual games and people actually own a DS.

Doctor_Who Oct 8th, 2009 02:34 AM

The G&G kicked my ass as a child. I still love them.

MarioRPG Oct 8th, 2009 01:15 PM

I'm glad I never played this in an arcade.

saturnknight Oct 8th, 2009 02:56 PM

Wyld, i'm not bashing Disgaea, i like the series, and I do agree, the psp ports are pretty good.
Prinny is damn near impossible to finish, but that's where the fun is. I like the game, and i really like how the challange gradually increases, but you gotta admit, there is one point where the whole screen where one hit in a screen filled with enemies is like a balloon in a windy room filled with pointy objects.

10,000 Volt Ghost Oct 8th, 2009 02:58 PM

I felt a lot better once Demon's Quest II came out and you actually get to play as Firebrand. I don't mind as much getting killed by him in Ghosts & Goblins.

testtube Oct 9th, 2009 12:34 PM

This game looks killer, unfortunately I'm never buying another console again, maybe some years from now. If someone makes a PSP emulator I'm going for it, that two screen Nintendo thing had a badass Contra sequel on it I'd like to play as well. They should just make a system that does oldschool games for fucks sake, new games are all the same.

Nick Oct 10th, 2009 07:12 AM

This is without a doubt the hardest game in the series.

Desert_Screams Oct 11th, 2009 08:59 PM

Are the soundtracks available anywhere? Some of the most iconic gaming music ev-ar.

Dungeonbrownies Oct 12th, 2009 01:57 AM

after they sent me ALLL th way back for the power bracelet i vowed never to play again!

that damned stupid weapon...