I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mass Effect! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698292)

HickMan Nov 25th, 2007 01:30 PM

Mass Effect!

I've been playing this game for a good six hours now and I still feel I have only scratched the game's surface. Picture KOTOR times a thousand and you've got the scale of this game. The voice work is top notch and the music is great. It's got that cheesy 1980's sci-fi flick music to it. Like in The Terminator.

A couple complaints: This, like too many games to date, has to render it's graphics in-game. Which really takes away from the experience. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often. A couple bugs here and there too. But the rendering is my biggest gripe.

Easily the best RPG I've played in a very, very long time

Dr. V Nov 25th, 2007 09:37 PM

I don't have that kind of time.

HickMan Nov 26th, 2007 05:25 AM

Yeah. Buying this game kinda made me give up on grades and 'tang for next couple of months :\

MetalMilitia Nov 26th, 2007 07:36 AM

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to make a game which didn't render its graphics in-game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Google
Render: To draw an object to the screen.

AChimp Nov 26th, 2007 09:40 AM

I think he means cut scenes are done in-game rather than pre-rendered. Stuff's done in-game now to make it look more consistent with the actual game and to save space on the disk (i.e. to add more content rather than packing the disk full of videos).

Supafly345 Nov 26th, 2007 11:30 AM

Yeah, and I never did like pre-rendered cinematics. The newer games methods of storytelling flows so much better.

Grislygus Nov 26th, 2007 01:57 PM

Along with Ace Combat, this game is the reason I'm going to buy a 360.

Dr. V Nov 27th, 2007 01:27 AM

Condemned was my reason, but I still don;t have one. :(

timrpgland Nov 27th, 2007 11:29 AM

I like to play Mass Effect while Chojin messages me to play Marathon.

SOMETIME

darkvare Nov 27th, 2007 11:33 AM

i didn't liked any of the other bioware's rpgs is it possible i will like this

timrpgland Nov 27th, 2007 12:53 PM

I don't know. Do you like ice cream?

Sam Nov 27th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timrpgland (Post 512557)
I like to play Mass Effect while Chojin messages me to play Marathon.

SOMETIME

Oh man, I thought I was the only person who got those messages. :lol

Mass Effect is terrific, the only gripe that I really have with it is the fact that all the insides of buildings look the same. :(

Schimid Nov 27th, 2007 04:26 PM

I think I'd like more games like these if they didn't follow the formula of a reserved badass space marine, his sexy yet approachable co-pilot and their friend the hideous-but-sassy alien/robot/alien-robot.

Fuck Bioware.

Zomboid Nov 27th, 2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 512595)
Oh man, I thought I was the only person who got those messages. :lol

haha no. I got that today and I was a bit surprised considering I have never played marathon.

Fuck you, schimid.

Chojin Nov 27th, 2007 05:49 PM

yoo guys should totally play marathon with me.

totally.

it's clear you dig space.

Sam Nov 27th, 2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schimid (Post 512599)
his sexy yet approachable co-pilot

ONLY IF YOU THINK SETH GREEN IS SEXY. :\

darkvare Nov 28th, 2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 512608)
yoo guys should totally play marathon with me.

totally.

it's clear you dig space.

if you get it for me il play lol nah just wait i will get some points later on and get it

Supafly345 Aug 20th, 2008 07:03 PM

I for the first time played this game in the past month. And besides the fucking elevators and needing to rely on the dialog of personality-less npc's for a third of your exp, my first play through this game was almost complaintless. But I always like games with replay value the most, and this game was hurting for it.

And I know I am a year late, why is there almost no talk on this board over it?

Zomboid Aug 20th, 2008 08:58 PM

I saw that you were playing it the other day. I wouldn't say it has no replay value either. I've played through it twice and started on a third a while ago but stopped because I got a new game.

wobzire Aug 20th, 2008 11:32 PM

I just started playing Too Human today. If you liked Mass Effect you should check it out. I'm only a few hours into it though, but it seems like more or less the same shit. Thats a good thing.

Supafly345 Aug 21st, 2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 575201)
I saw that you were playing it the other day. I wouldn't say it has no replay value either. I've played through it twice and started on a third a while ago but stopped because I got a new game.

I admit I found myself playing through again at a higher difficulty and enjoying myself. There isn't enough fighting outside of the short main storyline.

Zhukov Aug 21st, 2008 11:50 AM

I just finished it last night, great game. I think the best part is the story itself. I was really interested in it. Also impressive was how deep they went into all the facts about the universe and different species.

The worst part for me was finishing a conversation, dying, and then doing the conversation again with different speech choices, only to have the outcome exactly the same as the last time. Why have two choices of what to say if your character will say exactly the same thing no matter what you choose? Ok, so not as bad as I make it out to be, but still slightly annoying.

I wish I could have taken more control over team mates, too.

Replay wise, I don't know. It's not shouting out to be played again right away, but I can see myself trying again to be a renegade instead.

Dimnos Aug 21st, 2008 05:41 PM

Yea Replay sucked. In KotOR you could be light or dark and that gave a lot to replay. In ME you get what Paragon and something else? I cant remember what was what but the first time I played it i was the "good" guy but when I went back to play as a "bad" guy I found your not really a bad guy as much as you are a hard ass good guy. You talk terrorists out of killing hostages or you scare them out of killing them. There is no "Ill just kill them myself and say it was you" option. >:

Fathom Zero Aug 21st, 2008 11:58 PM

I finished it so I stopped caring.

FALLOUT 3

OxBlood Aug 22nd, 2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 575298)
Yea Replay sucked. In KotOR you could be light or dark and that gave a lot to replay. In ME you get what Paragon and something else? I cant remember what was what but the first time I played it i was the "good" guy but when I went back to play as a "bad" guy I found your not really a bad guy as much as you are a hard ass good guy. You talk terrorists out of killing hostages or you scare them out of killing them. There is no "Ill just kill them myself and say it was you" option. >:

To me the replay-value comes from trying the game with different classes or improving one of my existing Shepards, since they´re not all 60 yet ;)