I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Events (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   THE FORUM EVENT COMMENTARY THREAD (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20578)

Obscurus Lupa Jul 28th, 2007 06:10 PM

I liked the entry about the hermit crab. :D It was a little too long, but I liked the odd speech.

EDIT: Which entry had an octopus in it?

jared Jul 28th, 2007 10:48 PM

To my knowledge there is no entry with an octopus. It's unfortunate, really. If there had been one with an octopus, I wouldn't have had to lie about there being one.

Chojin Jul 29th, 2007 01:11 PM

We already have a philosophy forum, Jared, thanks.

Ygg probably deserves to win, though I'm probably only leaning that way now to slight one of the internet's thousands of Python-obsessed comedy professors.

jared Jul 29th, 2007 03:07 PM

I'm not Python-obsessed. I prefer Fawlty Towers, in fact. Yggdrasil's entry is, curiously, much more Pythonesque than Lupa's, which is Fawltyesque in its psychosexual masochism. Right?

Chojin Jul 29th, 2007 03:21 PM

Shouldn't you be doing commercials with pop culture icons or something?

Obscurus Lupa Jul 29th, 2007 05:50 PM

:( I like things that are funny.

Grislygus Jul 30th, 2007 11:21 AM

Since when the fuck is Monty Python about nuanced, intelligent humor? Did this clown even bother watching Flying Circus?

Obscurus Lupa Jul 30th, 2007 06:57 PM

"I fart in your general direction."?

I think British people sound smart.

jared Aug 1st, 2007 02:54 PM

To understand the rich nuances of the Flying Circus, Herr Gus, you must have read Marshall McLuhan. Still, one might blame the Pythons for Generation Spongebob. Now Yes, Minister is some fine, nuanced humor, consisting primarily of dialogue. Smart-sounding British people never sounded so bloody smart. It's the dog's bollocks.

Grislygus Aug 1st, 2007 03:12 PM

Uh huh. Cannibal sailors, Confuse-A-Cat, the Lumberjack song, diaper retards, maneating houses, and marauding bands of babies that kidnap thirty year olds are the epitome of sophistication.

The only truly intellectual skits they ever did were The Mouse Problem and the artist with the rebellious businessman son. Of course, I don't have the benefit of highminded pomposity and wishful thinking, so I guess I just don't get it.

jared Aug 2nd, 2007 03:49 PM

In fact, you don't get it. The tasteless silliness was satire of contemporary British society and continental intellectual society (hence the Proust and Sartre references), along the lines of Jonathan Swift. The individual sketches must be taken in the context of each themed episode. They played with the conventions of the television medium this way. Confuse-A-Cat is perhaps the worst comedy sketch ever written; I don't defend it.

arg_zombies Aug 2nd, 2007 06:14 PM

I'm sorry...
Am I right in saying that somehow a commentary on Harry Potter Competition Entries has somehow turned into a debate on whether Monty Python was the height of sophisticated humour?

Yggdrasill Aug 2nd, 2007 11:48 PM

I didn't notice this thread until just now. So my entry was good except jared had to go and analyse it or something. The only three things that influenced it were Piers Anthony, Hermiones need to be right all the time, and the creepy thing that is Daniel Radcliffe.

Obscurus Lupa Aug 3rd, 2007 01:54 AM

My inspiration was people in funny costumes.

bunksteve Aug 3rd, 2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jared (Post 497399)
Put down your Stephen King, pick up your Samuel Beckett...

I don't see what Quantum Leap has to do with any of th- ohhhh... I get it. Nevermind. Moving along.

jared Aug 4th, 2007 03:54 PM

Ah, Yggdrasil, now I understand; it is funnier in this new light, but I still put your entry at second place. Ironically, Hermione is wrong, isn't she? I mean, 'gypsy' is not coextensive with 'Roma.' As Piers says, "The Roma betimes are indeed called gypsies, and incorrectly, but not everything that is called a gypsy is Roma. Some gypsies really are just travelling charlatans." -- Piers Anthony in Fire on a Horse-Sized Spaceship

arg_zombies Aug 12th, 2007 08:53 PM

What.

The.

Fuck.

MLE Aug 12th, 2007 10:22 PM

can we just pre-emptively ban him?

Schimid Aug 17th, 2007 01:14 PM

...i won!

Fluke Sep 4th, 2007 04:16 PM

Come on guys!! New competition!

MarioRPG Sep 4th, 2007 05:27 PM

Oh man, I read that entry date as 10/15/2007 for some reason. I thought I had a month! I'm not sure if I'll enter it, but not that I've bothered to post here I prolly will.

Mockery Sep 4th, 2007 05:33 PM

Heh, it's not like it's a contest that should take too long for most people to enter. 1 photo and a short description is all ya need for it...

arg_zombies Sep 4th, 2007 05:34 PM

Don't worry, I'm working on it with my stapler

Yggdrasill Sep 5th, 2007 12:21 AM

I thought about maybe winning this contest but the first thing that came to mind was some kind of mask entitled "bukkake avenger", which I am having a very hard time even picturing what such a mask would be.

MarioRPG Sep 5th, 2007 03:21 PM

I'm sure you could find some guys to expand your imagination.