I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Events (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   FORUM EVENT: "TURN YOUR OWN DAMN GROCERIES INTO HALLOWEEN JACK-O-LANTERNS CONTEST!" (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702977)

Mockery Sep 14th, 2009 02:23 AM

FORUM EVENT: "TURN YOUR OWN DAMN GROCERIES INTO HALLOWEEN JACK-O-LANTERNS CONTEST!"

I'm hereby announcing I-Mockery's first contest of the 2009 Halloween season! I want you to go to your grocery store and choose some kind of food product to carve for Halloween. That's right, I'm spicing it up a bit and not just limiting the contest to carving limes. You can carve fruits, vegetables, hot dogs... whatever you want to try "Halloweenifying" for this contest! Of course, you're more than welcome to still use limes, but I wanted to give you the opportunity to make a jack-o-lantern out of anything you want.

This contest is based on our "Lime-O-Lanterns" article at:
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/lime-o-lanterns/

PRIZES:

-1st place winner will not only receive the complete Nightmare on Elm Street DVD box set (seen below), but also their choice of I-Mockery t-shirts and one of our I-Mockery button packs! (as seen in the I-Mockery Store)

-2nd place winner will receive their choice of I-Mockery t-shirts plus one of our button packs!

-3rd place winner will receive some I-Mockery pickle hats plus one of our button packs!

-4th and 5th place runner-ups will receive some shiny I-Mockery stickers!

RULES:

-To participate, you must register an account on account on I-Mockery (if you don't already have one) and post your entries in this thread.

-You need to go to the grocery store and buy any food product of your choice and "Halloweenify" it as you see fit. Vegetables, fruits, hot dogs, etc. etc. Whatever you want to use is fine, just be creative!

-Entries can either be photos (hosted on photobucket, flicker, etc.) or videos (via youtube) of your creation(s).

-Entries must be turned in by the end of Wednesday, October 7th.

-Once the contest is over, myself and the other staff members will vote on the entries!

-Entries will be judged on creativity!

-If you need some inspiration, please check out the "Let's Make Some Lime-O-Lanterns!" article located here:
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/lime-o-lanterns/

-Whether you win or not, your entries will be put on display for everybody to enjoy.

-Enter as many times as you like!!!

Ok that's it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to all of you and start working on your grocery jack-o-lantern creations!

This contest ends 10/7/09.

executioneer Sep 14th, 2009 03:11 AM

10/3/09, whaa you diabolical fiend how am i supposed to stick whatever it is on my porch and leave it up for four weeks! YOU MANIAC I WILL HAVE TO CARVE TWO OBJECTS

Zhukov Sep 14th, 2009 04:19 AM

This is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately I am going on holiday in a few days and not getting back until after the contest is over. I might have to whip something up quick smart.

stevetothepast Sep 14th, 2009 10:08 AM

This is going to be the best Halloween ever.

LordSappington Sep 14th, 2009 07:53 PM

Can it be electronic, or does it HAVE to be groceries? I might be able to solder something up.... :l

Mockery Sep 14th, 2009 08:06 PM

Zhukov, hope you can pull something off in time for it!

stevetothepast, make it so!

LordSappington, it has to involve groceries. You have to carve something, as that is the nature of all jack-o-lanterns, but you're more than welcome to add electronics to it in order to make it even more elaborate. Solder away!

Wiffles Sep 15th, 2009 10:25 PM

HEY YOU! YEAH IM TALKING TO YOU!!!

>_<

IM GONNA MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL, YOU KNOW THAT!!!
>_<

YOU ARE SO IN FOR A WORLD OF PAIN!!!
>_<

IM GOING TO EAT YOUR SOUL!!!
>_<;;

captain516 Sep 15th, 2009 11:24 PM

I took a whole bunch of these, but this is the best one. Yeah, my camera is THAT crappy. BTW, the pumpkins were a total bitch to carve 'cause they kept breaking apart.

dymphnawolf Sep 16th, 2009 12:39 AM

Here's my Tomatolantern in a mini-Halloween display!

stevetothepast Sep 16th, 2009 02:47 PM

looks like I got some stiff competition, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. hehe

The Leader Sep 16th, 2009 07:36 PM

Hehe

blood_panther Sep 17th, 2009 05:40 PM

Say hello to....."Frank n' Bean!"

although I may need a ruling on this. the rules say "any food product". I only used the can not so much the beans. either way I plan another entry.

Some great stuff so far guys!

blood_panther Sep 17th, 2009 06:01 PM

Imagine if you will, Your car breaks down on a deserted dirt road, your cell phone has no service. you decide to go for help. the first house you come across is a huge old mansion. you walk up to the front door ring the door bell the door opens and......THIS JUMPS OUT AT YOU!!!

Its an evil Ghost...er Toast.....

yeah ok so it's not that scary, still you pretend so you don't hurt it's feelings....

entry two of my pun filled entries.

Mockery Sep 17th, 2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blood_panther (Post 648844)
Say hello to....."Frank n' Bean!"

although I may need a ruling on this. the rules say "any food product". I only used the can not so much the beans. either way I plan another entry.

That's totally fine. Just like I told people they could use a can of Spam / Treet, a can of beans is fine as well.

Keep the entries 'a coming everybody. Good stuff so far!

blood_panther Sep 17th, 2009 08:42 PM

The third and final of my monster/food pun entries (unless anyone knows a food that rhymes with "were"...or "wolf")

I give you....The Hampire!

Fathom Zero Sep 17th, 2009 09:18 PM

Bwahahahaha

That last one made me laugh. High five!

dextire Sep 17th, 2009 09:30 PM

I decided to start with the citrus theme. Behold:
Orange-o-Lantern!

I'm really
pleased with the way it turned out (even though it was a pain in the ass to scrape out the inside).

My "success" instilled the false sense of accomplishment I needed to create my next monstrosity!

Potat-o-Lantern!

This thing is so bright I had to actually change my camera settings just to keep the picture from blowing out (and I obviously wasn't totally successful).
I like how the rest of the potato looks like it's is made of stone or something.

I had a blast carving them both (especially the potato). And I must warn you guys to crush my spirits now or there will be more!

Mockery Sep 17th, 2009 09:47 PM

Then let there be more, dextire... let there be more! :picklehat

blood_panther Sep 19th, 2009 12:15 AM

well, you guys are in luck! I stumbled upon ideas for two more pun filled entries!

first up are the.....

GUMMY MUMMIES!

these cut little gummy bears are all ancient pharaohs of gummy bear egypt, watch out or they'll curse you!

then we have this odd fellow...

THE DREADED PEARWOLF

yeah, yeah I know. It wasnt until after I made him that I realised how similar he looks to the Dingo gourd as seen in "The Evolution of Jack, Part 4". still I think he turned out pretty good...and you try making a pear into a wolf that doesnt look like the dingo gourd.

This contest is really lots of fun. I urge others to see what halloween foodstuffs you can make!

dextire Sep 19th, 2009 06:42 PM

The gummy mummies are great! I wonder what the curse would be? Uncontrollable bouncing maybe? And the pearwolf turned out very nice too.

I've finished my latest one and will post it a little later.

dextire Sep 20th, 2009 12:06 AM

A friend of mine said my last potato creation looked like a Pacman ghost (it was supposed to be a skull). So since I still had another potato I made just that.

Blinky the Potato!

I learned a lot from carving the first one and I think this one turned out a lot better. Now I need to take a trip to the store for something besides potatoes.

And while it may not really be produce, I did carve one other thing.

Chewy Atomic Fireball of Anger!

If you look closely you can make out a little angry face.

That's all for now.

blood_panther Sep 20th, 2009 12:50 AM

heh, that little fireball is awesome.

darqmommy Sep 21st, 2009 12:17 AM

the most frightening thing on here so far is the way that Blood-Panther just set that ham right down on the arm of his sofa without any regard to how much his mom or wife will have to scrub to get the ham juice out of it. that is just yuck.

blood_panther Sep 21st, 2009 01:03 AM

that couch smelt like ham long before I got to it.:lol

BatmanJohnson Sep 21st, 2009 12:44 PM

I chose for my medium of choice, an African Horned melon! These things are hard to carve I kept getting poked by its horns. I won the battle eventually.

Pukey the horned Melon

The first picture shows what he looks like with the flash.

The second just shows what he looks like

And lastly the third shows him posing for the camera.

Kissarmy4life Sep 21st, 2009 03:12 PM

Nice entries guys! gummy mummies are my favorite! anyways i will make one soon i hope. soon as my camera starts working. RoG i'm sure you will like it!

dextire Sep 21st, 2009 06:12 PM

Good job, Batman Johnson! I've never seen one of those things before. It looks like it could actually cut you. And I like the green puke pulp as well. Nice touch.

Aura Fox Sep 21st, 2009 07:23 PM

I think the key to a good Jack-o-lantern is for it to be visually appealing lit or not, so I give you the rather nervous looking Chayote-o-lantern!

He'll be torn up, er carved out inside if he doesnt win.

BatmanJohnson Sep 22nd, 2009 01:01 PM

Thanks Dex. I saw it and knew i had to carve it.

Cait Sidhe Sep 22nd, 2009 11:30 PM

Alright, I saw the contest, I was eating grapes, and there was a knife on my desk. Grape o' lanterns ensued.

Initally, I put red LEDs into them, and the overall effect was pretty neat, especially considering that grapeskin is thin and veiny. Since I had half a dozen or so of these, though, I decided to go bigger. Behold the grape vine:

It looks exactly like normal Xmas lights at this distance, true, but each one is a unique little grape o' lantern. Of all the faces I made, most of them were pretty generic, but two were neat enough that I took pictures before I ate them. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a decent close-up photo, so it's imagination time.

Frankenwine-
This one is my absolute favourite. It just turned out so well with the red LED that I wish I had a photo that could do it justice.

Garnish-
You can't see the face, but you're not missing much. I like this one just because nothing says halloween like a head on a pike. It also reminded me that in the miniature fruit community, sugary girl drinks probably look like Vlad the Impaler's courtyard.

Final note, If anyone can tell me how to set a camera to take a detailed close up of what is equivalent to a light bulb, I'd honestly appreciate it. I tried to get some photos with the red light, and this was my best result:

blood_panther Sep 23rd, 2009 05:05 PM

now those are neat!

Aura Fox Sep 23rd, 2009 06:37 PM

Oh wow I almost did that with grapes but I didnt have the lights for it, nice.

flammablemonkey Sep 23rd, 2009 09:07 PM

blood_panther Sep 23rd, 2009 10:03 PM

...Well I guess there's nothing in the rules saying you Can't let a dog play football carve a pumpkin.

stevetothepast Sep 24th, 2009 12:18 PM

if it's part of your regular groceries I guess haha.

those grapes are cool.

dymphnawolf Sep 24th, 2009 03:32 PM

Those grape o' lanterns are awesome

stonewar Sep 24th, 2009 06:43 PM

more green entry

It didn't come from my grocery sack. It came from my own garden
A Cantaloupe rotting on the vine.
Staked and writhing in pain for you Halloween pleasure.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/...d42f3206a6.jpg

dymphnawolf Sep 26th, 2009 01:19 PM

I'm not sure if this counts, but I figured it couldn't hurt to submit it anyway as I did technically carve the fondant.

Anyway, behold the face hugger cake!

blood_panther Sep 26th, 2009 02:56 PM

now that is amazing. good job!

dymphnawolf Sep 26th, 2009 04:32 PM

Thank you blood_panther :)

Cait Sidhe Sep 26th, 2009 07:12 PM

I'm concerned that if I tried to cut that cake, it would spray acid on me.

Cait Sidhe Sep 27th, 2009 10:46 PM

Got myself another lantern.

Pretty standard this time, following the age old formula of [Knife + Pumpkin + Candle = Jack-o-Lantern].

Though I fear I may have botched the procedure:

The fact that it actually illuminates the pumpkin inside itself blows my mind. I didn't think wax was that translucent.
I do realise that this is not technically food, so it's ineligible. That said, I did buy it at a grocery store, and the candle is made of delicious non-toxic wax.

Oh, and one other thing:

Lolantern.

dextire Sep 28th, 2009 09:04 PM

Nice job guys! While I'm unsure about the eligibility of some of these, they are very cool looking and I'm glad you submitted them.

And the "delicious non-toxic wax" comment by Cait Sidhe truly made me laugh out loud. :)

Mockery Sep 30th, 2009 04:51 PM

Keep the great entries coming everybody! You have until the end of next Wednesday, October 7th to get your entries posted!

blood_panther Oct 2nd, 2009 11:44 PM

ok so I figured with more time I should make some more entries....So I thought and thought, And finally came up with some more great...... good? ......decent?.....ok decent entries....you try coming up with food/monster puns...it's hard work!

ok first up we got this ghastly trio.

The Dreaded Zomberries!

Then we have one annoying critter....

The Tropical Batnana!

And finally we have a creature so powerful no wall can stop him...so omniscient the mere mention of his name calls him to you.

we have....Kool-Aid Man

......come on I-mockery! lets keep the kool-aid winning streak going!

Aura Fox Oct 3rd, 2009 02:10 PM

I noticed in the rules that Youtube is an option, thus I warped this in my mind and give you a short piece of morbid citrus cinema. An orange witnesses the death of his friend during a carving accident. I got the 'black and white w/ french' thing from an episode of The Critic.

blood_panther Oct 3rd, 2009 04:48 PM

nice one!
And thanks for reminding me youtube was a choice! I have this......amateur video of the Batnana in flight!

...yeah ok so It's a horrible video but it still makes me chuckle a little bit whenever i see it

GreenPeaness Oct 4th, 2009 04:45 PM

GASP in grisly HORROR as the fetid offspring of A THOUSAND DEMONS brings you...
THE FLAYED MEAT BRAIN OF HALLOWE'EN!!!!!!

Aura Fox Oct 4th, 2009 05:00 PM

Quick! jam a candle in it!

BatmanJohnson Oct 5th, 2009 11:53 AM

I now submit for your viewing pleasure, Doughnuts of the Damned.

The Bloody Strawberry doughnut of the Damned!

The dreaded cream filled Doughnut of the Cursed

The elusive pumpkin cookie of the mildly curious

dextire Oct 5th, 2009 01:17 PM

Because we got a few extra days, I was able to finish what is likely my final entry.

I present to you for your hopefully at least mild amusement:

Evil Embryos vs.
Texas Knife Wielding Killer Carrot!

I was going to just use fake blood, but instead I made my own with egg whites. I think it turned out better because it's more translucent and lets the light shine through more clearly. Plus it's supposed to be egg blood, not human blood. :)

I think this will probably be the last entry for me. It's been great carving all the produce oddities I've managed to get my hands on.
Keep up the good work guys!

Aura Fox Oct 5th, 2009 05:27 PM

Even undead donuts still look delicious to me.

blood_panther Oct 5th, 2009 06:41 PM

Heh,

I was thinking of carving eggs...but I just couldnt figure out how to make it work.....

boiling them makes so much sense.

good job!

Luigim128 Oct 5th, 2009 09:25 PM

I've been a huge fan of the site for years, and finally decided to try my hand at one of these contests.

'The Veritable Cornucopia of Terror'

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/x...ntestEntry.png

dymphnawolf Oct 5th, 2009 09:49 PM

BY GOD! It's a fruit basket of fear! Good job!

Aura Fox Oct 5th, 2009 10:05 PM

I like the ..frankenpear? nice!

dymphnawolf Oct 6th, 2009 08:16 PM

Well, as the contest ends tomorrow, I decided to submit one more thing, though I don't know if this counts. This is actually something that I made a while back for my boyfriend's birthday, but it is still made up of groceries that I fashioned into a cake and icing and I still carved the fondant.

Soooo....the C'thulhu cake!

The Grumpus Oct 6th, 2009 11:02 PM

Blast it all, I didn't check the forums before making my entries, and was beaten to the punch on both instances. Oh well, may as well throw my in for consideration anyway:

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0388.jpg

It's my version of the Potate O'Lantern. Only, I never thought this little fella could win on his own, so I got him some help.

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0396.jpg

Look, it's his bodyguard, Monster Mashed!

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0398.jpg

And it's their buddy, Franken Fries!

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0400.jpg

The gang's all here! Too bad Frank didn't survive for the picture proper. They had to prop him up "Weekend at Bernie's" style... :(

The Grumpus Oct 6th, 2009 11:05 PM

And someone else beat me to the Kool-Aid punch, but fortunately I went in a slightly different direction...

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0405.jpg

They used the packet, I used the actual contents.

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=100_0403.jpg

He looks pretty happy for a guy made out of grape-flavored sugar dust. I think there's a life-lesson in there, somewhere.

Ducttapefury Oct 6th, 2009 11:26 PM

How you like them apples?

blood_panther Oct 7th, 2009 01:34 AM

those are amazing. Good job!

BatmanJohnson Oct 7th, 2009 08:26 AM

Those apples are epic!

dymphnawolf Oct 7th, 2009 02:37 PM

Those are some awesome apples

Microshock Oct 7th, 2009 03:34 PM

the apple one is my favorite one so far, at least technically

Aura Fox Oct 7th, 2009 06:54 PM

The only thing thats been bugging me is how some are so awesome and so much effort went into them but they arent technically 'o-lanterns

Tadao Oct 7th, 2009 07:27 PM

Lighten up.

blood_panther Oct 7th, 2009 08:51 PM

well, the rules dont really say they have to be 'o-lanterns just "Halloweenifed"

Aura Fox Oct 7th, 2009 09:06 PM

Im only mentioning it because id hate if they were not considered eligible. I mean hampire and that facehugger cake are wicked.

blood_panther Oct 7th, 2009 10:02 PM

yeah, there's alot of great stuff here!

Mockery Oct 8th, 2009 07:52 PM

Alrighty, the time for entering the contest has now officially ended. Fantastic entries everybody! Myself and the other guys will be going through them this week and will post the results as soon as we have a chance. Might not be until the weekend before the results are posted since I have to prep for the next Doc Mock show tomorrow night.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to carve up your groceries! :picklehat

MarioRPG Oct 10th, 2009 01:40 PM

Now, I'm not going to browse through this thread - but some were pretty awesome - and just ask: Did really no one carve a pickle?

BatmanJohnson Oct 10th, 2009 11:31 PM

I considered carving a cucumber then pickling it. But I did not have enough time.

Mockery Oct 12th, 2009 10:24 PM

Ok everybody! The contest results are up and you can discuss them at the following URL:
http://www.i-mockery.com/blabber/200...ntest-results/

(Sorry for the delay in posting them, had some severe laptop problems over the weekend and I'm posting this from my old PC)