I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Game Review: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700209)

MockBot Jul 21st, 2008 04:13 AM

Weekly Game Review: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Fathom Zero Jul 21st, 2008 05:28 AM

Malkavians are the best clan. I enjoy talking to the TV and having it talk back to me.

executioneer Jul 21st, 2008 08:28 AM

NOTE: system says it's for "arcade" above, should be "PC"?

Fat_Hippo Jul 21st, 2008 09:19 AM

Yep, this game truly is a classic. And if only they'd had some more time to work on it, it could have been even better. Most of the bugs didn't annoy me that much, I just got the fan patches, so that was fine. would've been nice if they could have improved combat though. Definitley the weakest part of the game.

Tom Foolery Jul 21st, 2008 11:25 AM

This game is my all time favorite PC game. I once made an audio CD filled with nothing but dialogue clips from this game cause they were so damn funny. Sadly this is also the most glitchiest game I've ever owned. I have to save the game everytime before feeding because 20% of the time it cause the entire computer to crash. That with loading times long enough to sit down and read a book in, would normally make me give up on a game, but I can't stop playing it. This game rocks!

Julio Jul 21st, 2008 11:33 AM

Vampires are cool.

Dr. Boogie Jul 21st, 2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executioneer (Post 569985)
NOTE: system says it's for "arcade" above, should be "PC"?

Yes, yes it should. And so it shall be.

Mac Brookman Jul 21st, 2008 12:59 PM

Flaws and bugs aside this is one of my favourite games of all time. Combat was wonky, but the stealth kills made up for that. The little sound bytes like hearing a crowd cheer when you bash someone on the head with a baseball bat was a nice touch.

Mainly though, it was the story that drove the game for me. That and the dark humour that popped up here and there. The "argument" between a Malkavian and the STOP sign is one of the best reasons for picking that bloodline.

RevengeVirus Jul 21st, 2008 01:13 PM

Some of the best voice acting in any game, ever. Oblivion could learn a thing or two from this game.....like, hire more than 10 voice actors for thousands of characters.

Arcanum is tits as well.

Sleazeappeal Jul 21st, 2008 02:32 PM

I could never beat that fucking giant bat!

Doctor_Who Jul 21st, 2008 05:28 PM

I actually used to play the VTM rpg for a while. I have been a D&D freak for over 13 years now, but back in high school we moved to a godawful redneck town whose inhabitants were more interested in shooting beer cans and cow-tipping (seriously, I saw it happen) than dice rolling. The only other rpg-ers around were the local goths, and VTM was their game of choice.

Oh well, at least it wasn't LARPS.

Dungeonbrownies Jul 21st, 2008 07:47 PM

thank god these come out in videogame form, which
I like to imagine helps to retard the rise of actual LARPERS.
as for other role players though,
D&D represent!

LadyMage Jul 21st, 2008 09:05 PM

yay another whitewolf world of darkness fan (yes I have a few of the books) though honestly I wish they would make a promethean game for the computer next

OxBlood Jul 22nd, 2008 04:33 AM

Great game, thanks to the fanpatches. One of my favorites. And yes, OF COURSE as a Malkavian.

MetalMilitia Jul 22nd, 2008 09:05 AM

The only thing I really remember about the game is some level set in an abandoned hotel that scared me.
I might re-play it one of these days now that the bugs have seen sorted out a bit.

Dr. Boogie Jul 22nd, 2008 12:44 PM

Yes, the Ocean House sequence was really well done. It even scared me when I played through it again years later.

Rebel Without a Sauce Jul 22nd, 2008 07:52 PM

I remember the Ocean House! Great level design! And the escape from the werewolf was a pretty fun set piece as well. In fact, the whole game was one big awesome set piece.

My favourite part was blatantly using cheats to win the game... stupid fighting system, I can't believe a game about vampires expected me to have combat abilities! VAMPIRES ARE THE FRIENDLIEST OF ALL CREATURES OF THE NIGHT. >:O

Copper Jul 22nd, 2008 10:45 PM

"Likewise, the dialog in the game is fantastic, especially if you choose to play as one of the terminally-insane Malkavian vampires. "

According to friends who have played the game before me, you should play the game twice. Once as clan of choice and another as a Malkavian, just to see how vastly different the game is.

Sadly, I've owned this game for years (and it's precursor, Redeption) but I've yet to actually install and play it. Mostly, I've been needing a machine to handle the two of them and secondly, because I'm just lazy *laughs* Not to mention I'm a chicken and I've been told about the "Haunted House" portion. There's a reason I don't play Ravenloft and Cthulu.

And for those of you ragging on the LARPers, just remember that the few do not represent the many. I belonged to a couple groups in the day and they were a lot of fun. And remember, too, that if you're in the presence of *good* LARPers, you shouldn't even know it ;)

Odworthy Jul 23rd, 2008 08:19 AM

One of my favourite games of all time, in spite of all the bugs, glitches and random crashes. The Ocean House level still gives me a chill down the spine when I play it. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as bed-wettingly scary as the Cradle level in Thief III...

Fathom Zero Jul 23rd, 2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 570330)
Sadly, I've owned this game for years (and it's precursor, Redeption) but I've yet to actually install and play it. Mostly, I've been needing a machine to handle the two of them.

It needs a 1.2 Ghz processor, 512 megs of RAM, and pretty much any video card of choice.

A toaster oven could run this game.

Dr. Boogie Jul 23rd, 2008 02:29 PM

Seriously. And your computer can't handle Redemption either? That's a 233mhz game, for god's sake. Buy a new computer!

Copper Jul 24th, 2008 02:00 AM

*laughs* Back when I bought them, I had a P.O.S. machine. Now it's just me being lazy and not installing them, mostly because I want to play Neverwinter Nights 2 instead. I try not to run too many RPGs at once or I forget where I am. That, and I worry my mother when she:
1. Comes home from work to see me sitting in front of NWN
2. Goes to bed, seeing me sitting in front of NWN
3. Gets up at 7am to see me sitting in front of NWN
4. Asks me if "That game you're playing all the time actually has an ending..."

So, yeah, I try not to get into too many games you can play/replay for hours on end, especially when I have to get up for work in the morning *laughs*

Kitsunexus Jul 24th, 2008 08:32 PM

This game was pwn.

Nick Jul 29th, 2008 03:13 AM

I miss Troika. :(

OxBlood Jul 30th, 2008 08:48 AM

I...think IŽll play it again tonight...maybe this time as a sane clan...even though nothing can be as much fun as being a Malkavian :D