I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports & Health (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2010 Major League Baseball (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703820)

Colonel Flagg Dec 18th, 2009 03:14 PM

2010 Major League Baseball

Pentegarn is right. Time to talk baseball.

Phillies management is taking a lot of heat for not trying to keep Cliff Lee in addition to getting Roy Halladay. Apparently, Lee is "shocked and dismayed" that he found out he was traded just days after beginning to negotiate for a longer term deal. Fans are pissed too - the thought of having a pitching staff with two bonafide #1 starters had most people thinking dynasty. Now, there is one.

For my money, I think Amaro was given an ultimatum - one or the other, not both. But he's a good soldier, and will take the heat if Halladay has a career ending injury in preseason.\

I like the move - it will make for an excellent 1-2 punch if Hamels can regain his stride in '10 - maybe by developing that elusive curve ball. Additionally, they got some good prospects in return from the Mariners. I really liked Lee, though - he was and is a class act, and made a great impression in only half a season with Philadelphia.

WhiteRat Dec 19th, 2009 04:28 PM

The Twins started the offseason by trading away young speedster Carlos "Me Run Bases Good? Never!" Gomez to the Brewers for JJ hardy. They also traded fat ass P Boof Bonser to the Red Sox for P Chris Province.

Joe Crede, Carlos Povano, Mike Redmond, and Orlando Cabrera all entered Free Agency with Povano agreeing to arbitration.

This is a critical year for the future of the Twins franchise as it's nearing Judgement Day for re-signing Mauer. He was openly critical in the first half of last season in managements inability to bring in more talent before the deadline, and basically said they had to get their shit together or he would think twice about re-signing with the team. Personally I think he stays. He's a Minnesota kid born and raised and his entire family is based here. The guy is a god and is the face of all Minnesota sports. Moss, Santana, Hunter, Garnett, and Gaborik, all past superstars here, are all gone. Most fans can live with that but if Mauer were to leave, there would be a shit storm of epic proportions.

Almost forgot.

This beauty is set to open in April, bringing outdoor Twins baseball to Minnesota for the first time since 1981!

Target Field

Colonel Flagg Dec 19th, 2009 10:47 PM

That is a nice ballpark. And so are these.

Seriously, if this is similar to any of the other new venues throughout the league, then it will be all good for the Twins. Looks awesome.

WhiteRat Dec 20th, 2009 01:19 AM

Also, shameless plug for an amusing Twins/Target Field commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxv62uUkhY

Geggy Dec 20th, 2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 663730)
Pentegarn is right. Time to talk baseball.

Phillies management is taking a lot of heat for not trying to keep Cliff Lee in addition to getting Roy Halladay. Apparently, Lee is "shocked and dismayed" that he found out he was traded just days after beginning to negotiate for a longer term deal. Fans are pissed too - the thought of having a pitching staff with two bonafide #1 starters had most people thinking dynasty. Now, there is one.

For my money, I think Amaro was given an ultimatum - one or the other, not both. But he's a good soldier, and will take the heat if Halladay has a career ending injury in preseason.\

I like the move - it will make for an excellent 1-2 punch if Hamels can regain his stride in '10 - maybe by developing that elusive curve ball. Additionally, they got some good prospects in return from the Mariners. I really liked Lee, though - he was and is a class act, and made a great impression in only half a season with Philadelphia.

I read that it was all about money and halladay was willing to settle for less if it would get him onto a champsionship caliber team. Cliff lee wanted too much money so it was a wise move by philly financially.

MIke lowell failed the physical exam after texas rangers team doc discovered torn ligament in his thumb. So he is staying in boston. AWKWARD.

Pentegarn Dec 20th, 2009 06:22 PM

Well, you could hope they are like the Yankees last year and win it all despite a broken team chemistry

El Blanco Dec 22nd, 2009 03:03 PM

Team chemistry is over rated, if it even exists in baseball. Baseball is mainly about individual achievement. The only people who really need to have any sort of chemistry on the field are pitchers and catchers. The Yankees are a bunch of mercenaries and they win.

All that shit about hurting team chemistry only comes up when team aren't winning. When Arizona won, nobody mentioned how big a flying douche Randy Johnson actually is. This season, nobody called A-Rod a club house distraction.

In 2002, there weren't too many stories about how Barry Bonds and all his special privileges pissed off everyone else on the team. Yet, he gets blamed for everything that went wrong in SF after.

But, I digress.

The Mets seemed to make no real moves because of a claimed budget problem. This pisses me off because there was no way they didn't see that coming last year. That and the fact that the team's payroll has nothing to do with the Wilpons' personal finances.

I really just can't fucking stand the team ownership. This is why I get Brooklyn Cyclones tickets instead.

Colonel Flagg Dec 23rd, 2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Blanco (Post 664627)
The Mets seemed to make no real moves because of a claimed budget problem.

Please tell me you're kidding.

This has got to be the biggest cop-out suck monkey ass reason for not making any off-season moves since the Phillies management (Bill Giles) claimed they didn't have money for big-time free agents because they were a "small market" franchise.

I actually feel sorry for Met fans. :(

El Blanco Dec 23rd, 2009 09:10 PM

Ya, the second highest payroll in MLB in the biggest market in the world is claiming poverty. Oi.

In all honesty, if they had just said "there are no smart money deals to be made and we'd rather spend this year working internally and spend the money on next year's much better free agent market" I'd actually accept that. It shows some semblance of a plan. Also, it would be true. Bay and Holliday are way over priced simply because there is nothing better. Lackey was the only guy out there who would have improved the Mets noticably (although I still want Orlando Hudson and Rocco Bardelli)

I truly think their best bet is to give someone like Ben Sheets an incentive laden offer and see what happens.

Next year's free agent market is going to be good. I want Matt Cain.

El Blanco Jan 5th, 2010 08:20 PM

So, Bay was introduced today. Apparently, the deal was already made, they just waited for the holiday season to pass. They got him for less money than most people thought and way less than what Holliday is apparently signing for.

I think it is a good deal in light of the Mets offensive woes last season and the terms of the contract, but it is not a panacea. Omar Minaya is talking about getting a "frontline starter" but seems to be negotiating with Joel Piniero. I'd rather see if they could get Ben Sheets for about half the guaranteed money he's asking and then load the deal with some easy to reach(if he remains healthy) incentives.

sspadowsky Jan 6th, 2010 01:21 AM

Nothing against the city of New York itself (I'm talking about the city, not its inhabitants), but there does seem to be some sort of curse, particularly against the Mets. The only people who signed with the Mets and profited were Keith Hernandez and Keith Hernandez. Therefore, historically speaking, I see no way that Jason Bay can profit from this venture. In fact, in accordance with the pattern of history, the only logical outcome from this will be that Bay blows out his ACL in May or June, misses the rest of '10 and most of '11, then gets out of his contract via an opt-out clause. The Mets will not see the post-season, and, ultimately (and justifiably), Mets fans will burn many a civilian object in protest.

Mark your calendars, people. I will be right. It's all a part of the Circling of the Drain.

El Blanco Jan 6th, 2010 11:18 AM

Carlos Beltran has done real well here. A lot of people may not realize it, but he is the best center fielder in the game. Santana has done well in his 2 years as well.

And it's not like anyone is expecting Bay to be The Guy. That is still Beltran and Wright.

But, hey, I'm sure giving all that money to Matt Holliday won't cause Albert Pujols to try and break St Louis' bank next season.

Pentegarn Jan 7th, 2010 03:49 PM

So a World Series champions vs. Nippon Pro Baseball League champions series may be coming soon

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,212323

Generally, I think American sports do not work overseas, but this strikes me as an interesting and very good idea. I for one would like to see this sort of post world series exhibition match-up between the best teams of the world.

Colonel Flagg Jan 7th, 2010 09:08 PM

A series like this would have to go at least 5 games, for a decent look at both teams. That long a series might be a problem for todays prima donnas. However, if they play it people will watch.

I, for one, would. ;)

El Blanco Jan 7th, 2010 09:34 PM

Oh, ya, because the biggest complaint about the baseball season is that it isn't long enough.

Granted, there are the winter instructional leagues, but those are for younger players working on their fundamentals. The big money players people want to see take that time off.

Plus, if you are the owner, you'd rather your championship team get the time off to rest and heal rather than take part in some silly publicity stunt.

sspadowsky Jan 7th, 2010 10:22 PM

I was just busting balls, El Blanco. But didn't they have an awful lot of injury problems last year, and wasn't Santana one of them?

For the record, I'm not happy about the Holliday deal. They threw too much money and too many years at him. I think it's insane to go beyond a five-year deal with a guy who turns 30 soon, and I don't think he deserves $16+ million a year.

As for Pujols, they'll give him whatever he wants, most likely. He's the face of the team, and the ownership wants to make a life-long Cardinal of him. I'm betting he sticks around, or Busch Stadium will have a lot of empty seats.

El Blanco Jan 8th, 2010 01:14 PM

I would too. But the problem is, the Machine don't pitch.

WhiteRat Mar 10th, 2010 11:51 AM

Nomar Garciaparra signed a 1 day deal with the Red Sox today and promptly retired:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

The 8th grade baseball card collector in me weeps at this news as he was a hot commodity amongst my friends in the trading circles. Seems like yesterday someone was trying to trade a Garciaparra for a Jose Cruze Jr. card.

Also, Twins closer Joe Nathan will require tommy john surgery and is out for year, leaving us with no viable candidate to replace him.

Colonel Flagg Mar 10th, 2010 01:28 PM

NOMAHHHHHH!

Pentegarn Mar 10th, 2010 04:06 PM

I gotta go with Rome on this one, signing a 1 day contract for the "I retired on team x" is kind of lame

Colonel Flagg Mar 21st, 2010 09:25 PM

Hey WR - I know Mauer is a great catcher and all, but really 8 yrs & $184M?

How much does his agent get?

WhiteRat Mar 24th, 2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 677271)
Hey WR - I know Mauer is a great catcher and all, but really 8 yrs & $184M?

How much does his agent get?

He took about 5-7 million less a year than what he could have made on the open market. Yeah, it's huge money, but it HAD to be done. If he was allowed to leave the fans would have torn the new stadium down and abandoned the team in droves. He's the face of the franchise and of all sports in the state.

Now that he's locked up they just need to work on getting a closer to replace Nathan. There are a few in house candidates but only one has any experience closing (Jon Rausch closed a few with the Nats a few years ago).

jhonnyD2 Mar 24th, 2010 11:39 AM

............nice 2 hear

Colonel Flagg Mar 25th, 2010 05:35 AM

For the record, I think the Twins were smart too. I just think the money is obscene.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

WhiteRat Mar 25th, 2010 02:23 PM

I really don't think it would be as big of a deal if he signed with the Yankees or Red Sox. But since it's the "small market" (btw I hate that term. Mpls-St. Paul is the 14th largest media market in the country) Twins, everyone is seemingly shocked at the amount of money he's making.

Like I said earlier, he signed for below his likely market value. Besides, the guy is 26 with 3 batting titles, an MVP, and is one of the best defensive catchers in the game.