I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tales from the Longbox #23: "More Odds and Ends"! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699088)

MockBot Feb 21st, 2008 10:01 PM

Tales from the Longbox #23: "More Odds and Ends"!

Automatically generated comment thread for Tales from the Longbox #23: "More Odds and Ends"!.

Dungeonbrownies Feb 21st, 2008 10:29 PM

elektra looks effin disgusting. like a pickled zombie

Magic Flyin' Lemur Feb 21st, 2008 10:43 PM

Frankly, Cap's new suit just looks like super-shiny rayon (ala Idiocracy).

Also, it is my sincerest desire to hire a couple burly guys, have them dress up in a Spider-Man costume and an old-school Captain America costume to sodomize Joe Quesada. I think it'd be poetic.

Hangie Feb 21st, 2008 10:45 PM

funny as hell and somewhat informing as always proto

Count Mek Feb 21st, 2008 10:45 PM

Very good article Proto! Made me laugh even though the only thing I read is The Walking Dead.

Jaimas Feb 21st, 2008 10:54 PM

Jesus, look at her.

She looks like death, eating a cracker.

SunnyD Feb 21st, 2008 11:27 PM

Don't you just love how they retconned everything so that now Spider-Man has to deal with "lol empty webshooters" again? Especially since he's had empty webshooters from since the very first issue of Brand New Day

King Credo Feb 21st, 2008 11:40 PM

I'm going to stop reading comics as soon as Secret Invasion starts because I know that there won't be one damn Marvel comic that doesn't go like this:
Hero 1: Are you a Skrull?
Hero 2: No.
Hero 1: Are you sure?
Hero 2: Uh....yeah. Wait! No. Yeah. I'm fine.
Hero 1: Positive?
Hero 2: Yep!
Hero 1: Okay. Good.
Hero 2: Haha! Fooled you!
Hero 1: Damn! We have to fight now maybe. Wait. What were we talking about before?
Hero 2: Something actually good but looks like this took up 3/4 of the book.
Hero 1: Yeah. That's right. I can't believe these chumps are still spending all their money on these.
Hero 2: Yeah. You think they'd learn after World War Hulk. Guess not.

Grossenschwamm Feb 21st, 2008 11:41 PM

Yeah, in the follow up to Brand New Day, called, "Glorious Day," Peter finds Jesus and becomes a member of the clergy. He stops fighting crime, and eventually founds his own church, and then BOOM! One of his altar boys turns out to be Mephisto.
The skrull thing seems pretty contrived, though. At least Cap is still rocking the spirit of America! Albeit in a very shiny way...

Nick Feb 22nd, 2008 02:04 AM

0h god, I am not looking forward to Secret Invasion at all.

AlliSabbah Feb 22nd, 2008 02:14 AM

Its nice to read things like this and see that Ghost Rider is not the only comic thats being torn to shreds by marvel.

captain516 Feb 22nd, 2008 02:23 AM

eh, I actually like Cap's new suit. But your commentary is fuuny is always. the "Orville Redenbacher" part was excellent.

Doctor_Who Feb 22nd, 2008 02:48 AM

Any idea which came first, the Skrulls or Mentok the Mindtaker's appearance on the old sixties Birdman cartoon? 'Cause I'm pretty sure one was based on the other. When I looked at that Skrull picture all I could think was "Mindtaking! Bweoooeeooop!"

Terrible-D Feb 22nd, 2008 03:39 AM

Dr. Who: The Skrulls first appeared in Fantastic Four #2 in 1962. Birdman and the Galaxy Trio didn't hit the airwaves until '67.(How big of a nerd am I for knowing this?)

Purple Man Feb 22nd, 2008 05:11 AM

Great article. Commendably restrained! I've put up with Marvel 's recent stunts for a long time now, but OMD (I even hate myself for using that abbreviation) was a shocker. It's just gotten worse since then. That zombies bullshit. That M-Day bollocks. And now guess what? I bet it'll turn out that everyone is a skrull. Fucking everyone, okay?

Does Dexter Bennett look like Jason Robards or what? Just a thought.

saturnknight Feb 22nd, 2008 08:06 AM

howmany times have marvel characters died? i lost count on phoenix/Jean Grey, and even captain america, new hero or not, it's insaine

nilus Feb 22nd, 2008 08:54 AM

This is why my pull list has been slashed down to Fables, Y: The Last Man(which has been completed so I guess its off the list now too, and Star Wars Legacies.

So when are you gonna talk about the train wreck that is Ultimates 3.

Fufuless Feb 22nd, 2008 09:15 AM

Face it tiger, you've just hit the Jackpot! As in the super hero. Way to go Spider-Man!

mburbank Feb 22nd, 2008 09:23 AM

Proto; Who the HELL is writing spiderman? That narration bubble is WAY conrnier than anything Stan Lee EVER did when I was a kid, and he made up that style of banter to differentiate his writing from other comic books. It talks down, it's a stale oldster trying to be 'fun-KAY' for the kids. SHAMEFUL! Evil plan? Accidental camp, just embarassing, like watching your perverted uncle dance at Baht Mitzvah.

Caps Costume: We agree, way bad, but much as I like Alex Ross, look back at his body of work and you'll see, design is far and away his weakest link. Look for instance at the third cover in Justice with all the whacked out robo JLAers. Kingdom Come was so cool one didn't think about the costume design, but grab a random volume, flip it open and look at some of the designs out of context. VERY unfortunate. Great illustrator, terrible designer.

Jigby Huggletinks Feb 22nd, 2008 10:56 AM

Cap's new suit looks pretty much exactly like the Alex Ross Spiderman design that could be seen in the Spiderman game based on the first movie... hmm.

And I agree, pretty much everybody's going to end up being a Mentok the Mindtaker... er... a Skroll. I never thought I'd see a plot arc that makes The Clone Saga look good.

And loving the comment about "hitting the Jackpot", Fufuless. NICE!

Ashmodai Feb 22nd, 2008 11:00 AM

After reading Civil War and reading this article, I kind of feel sad that Marvel has taken such a nose dive. I've noticed that most of the really good comics are now being produced by Image.

Drunken_Lemur408 Feb 22nd, 2008 11:30 PM

I'm going to Megacon, and Joe Quesada is gonna be there. Does anyone have some questions you want me to ask?

Magic Flyin' Lemur Feb 22nd, 2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken_Lemur408 (Post 534230)
I'm going to Megacon, and Joe Quesada is gonna be there. Does anyone have some questions you want me to ask?

"Why do you hate the fans so much?"

Or, alternatively,

"Seriously, what the hell, Joe? Seriously. Joe. What the hell?"

CaTlaloc Feb 23rd, 2008 01:12 AM

Oh boy...i think I am going to be sick

is it just me or does it look like Skrull-Electra died from explosive diherria? Maybe she just read "brand new day" and had the same experience as proto. Anyways, it is stuff like this that forced me to read marvel comics on wikipedia.

Blank Frank Feb 23rd, 2008 01:31 AM

FUN FACT: If you invert the colors of the picture of "Mr. Negative" (into what one assumes would result in the "positive" image with correct coloration) in Paintbrush, his "natural" skin tone appears to be some sort of silvery/dark grey.

I don't think that's quite what they were going for...