I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   My Favorite Things About The Original Clash Of The Titans! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69704458)

HowardC Apr 4th, 2010 04:43 PM

I'm not as familiar, but I'm aware of Al-Jazari and his book of ingenious devices.

The arabs made some really impressive toys that we would associate more with renissance artists.... clockwork men, music boxes, ect....

goblyn Apr 5th, 2010 01:35 PM

I've got to second MeowMixMaster's statement that the Thetis's Head scene (as it is known to me and my family) is one of the funniest scenes in the movie.

The movie just in general rocks, my kids (7 and 3) both love it (though my daughter gets grossed out by medusa's decapitation). I'm glad to hear that the remake is pretty shitty, that way I can save myself the $50 it would cost to take everyone to the movies to see it!

blood_panther Apr 6th, 2010 12:52 AM

I just got back from watching the remake. and while it doesnt have the same....."essence" as the original it is still a very good movie. almost everything on the list makes it into the remake. #2 and #7 don't and the damn owl is used as a throw away gag that had me laughing so hard I had trouble breathing. The only thing "bugged" me was the fight with the giant scorpions. they beat one by stabbing a spear into it's back, paralyzing it....I may be wrong but I don't think scorpions have spinal cords....

caffman Apr 6th, 2010 06:35 PM

This film was the reason I got so much into Greek mythology and went to Knossos, mount Olympus and athens in 2004

Mister Tea Apr 7th, 2010 09:03 PM

It's been a while since I've seen the original, but weren't there already scorpions on the ground in that scene? It's not like the blood just made them spawn by itself, right?

Oh, and they don't have vertebrae, but sticking something long and sharp through the thorax of an arachnid -or a bug, which scorpions aren't- is going to mess with a few vital bodily functions.

blood_panther Apr 8th, 2010 02:15 AM

but would it cause one to stop moveing completely? I mean I've seen ants ripped in half still moving.

neoboman Apr 9th, 2010 03:55 AM

I heard the remake sucked, can anyone confirm/deny?

Mister Tea Apr 9th, 2010 02:53 PM

Beats me, but since we're obviously dealing with magic, we can't really go by what would happen in real life anyway.

So, can someone with a copy of the original movie confirm that those scorpions were already there? Now it's starting to needle me that I can't remember for certain.

blood_panther Apr 9th, 2010 07:36 PM

so a wizard did it?

works for me.

Mockery Apr 9th, 2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Tea (Post 680062)
So, can someone with a copy of the original movie confirm that those scorpions were already there? Now it's starting to needle me that I can't remember for certain.

Nope, the scorpions came from the blood of the bag with Medusa's head in it. Take a look:

Mister Tea Apr 10th, 2010 04:46 AM

There we go. Thanks, Rog!

Mister Tea Apr 10th, 2010 04:47 AM

Oh, you wouldn't happen to be a troper, would you, panther?

blood_panther Apr 10th, 2010 07:40 PM

I vist the site often, but rarely edit.

RedCometXIII Apr 11th, 2010 10:48 AM

A friend of mine WORSHIPS the remake as if it's fucking Zeus. I told her I refuse to see it because I have to much respect for the original and Ray Harryhausen, she had never heard of him.

Mockery Apr 11th, 2010 11:13 AM

Heh, sounds like your friend is the kind of person who perpetuates Hollywood greenlighting so many of these damned remakes.

The Leader Apr 11th, 2010 08:11 PM

Sounds like your friend needs to be stabbed in the eyes. How'd she like the remake after that? >:

Mister Tea Apr 14th, 2010 05:41 PM

It's nowhere near as great as the original -very few remakes ever are-, but I sort of enjoyed it. It's just a big, straightforward, dumb-ass action flick, like what Transformers could have been if they hadn't tried to be so "funny" with it.

[MINOR SPOILER]

I'll tell you what, though: They totally dropped the ball with Bubo's appearance. If they had moved its cameo to the very end of the movie so that he'd be Perseus' life companion, I'd still be laughing at it.

And one more thing: did anyone else notice that the Djinni -the desert-dwelling spirit thing- blew himself up to injure Medusa? I supposed Iran is gonna bitch about that one, too.

Wyckid May 7th, 2013 05:14 PM

I think that the blood spilled on some regular scorpions in the desert and just caused them to grow to the monstrous proportions seen in the film.

EDIT: WHOOPS. GUESS I'M WRONG AGAIN.