I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are you eating right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16315)

Pentegarn Aug 29th, 2011 04:48 PM

Food from a day? :confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by Womti (Post 740013)
2 hot dogs, chicken noodle soup and 4 chocolate chip granola bars

You know the outreach program frowns upon stealing those extra granola bars from the children. They need to eat too you heartless ass

Womti Aug 30th, 2011 12:42 PM

:lol :x :picklehat

Kitsa Sep 4th, 2011 08:43 PM

I made an Indian cauliflower dish that I make all the time, and it's usually ok, but this time it turned out fucking horrible for no reason I can think of. The only thing I changed was that I took the oil down from five tablespoons to two, because I thought it was too oily before.

It was completely bleh :(

MarioRPG Sep 5th, 2011 05:14 PM

I've come to the conclusion that scalloped potatoes are still gross.

Kitsa Sep 5th, 2011 07:21 PM

My mother in law makes a dish she calls "hobo potatoes" which, to the best of my knowledge, just involve sliced potatoes and foil. Maybe you should try that.

Tonight I drowned my spelling-bee sorrows in barbecue sauce. Dynamite!

Fathom Zero Sep 11th, 2011 10:11 PM

I'm not eating it right now, but I dreamed I ate it:

Currywurst and pommes frites in a folded paper cone. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I want some bad. They say that, if nothing else, you can remember tastes and smells from when you were very young. Boy, do I ever.

Seven Force Sep 11th, 2011 10:19 PM

Sounds great

Kitsa Sep 11th, 2011 11:09 PM

I don't know about the currywurst but pommes frites sound okay. They're best right off the cart.

I'm eating some chex mix of my own invention. I hate the squiggly stick things and the rye chips in chex mix, so I just made one that's all chex with some m&ms and peanuts in it. I forgot to get pretzels for it :(

Kitsa Sep 30th, 2011 12:45 PM

I made apple crisp today because I had to find some use for the 60+ lbs of apples we picked at the orchard. Last time I followed a recipe and it sucked, so this time I went back to my own thing and it turned out fucking awesome.

Zhukov Oct 2nd, 2011 09:05 AM

I'm just about to eat eggs and bacon for dinner. Nothing else in the house but eggs and bacon - both of which have a fair chance of being off.

MarioRPG Oct 2nd, 2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 744799)
I made apple crisp today because I had to find some use for the 60+ lbs of apples we picked at the orchard. Last time I followed a recipe and it sucked, so this time I went back to my own thing and it turned out fucking awesome.

I was in a very similar situation, but I borrowed someone elses recipe. Apple crisp is bomb

dextire Nov 2nd, 2011 07:43 PM

Enjoying some Black Pepper Jack Doritos now that they finally brought them back.

replicant Nov 2nd, 2011 09:18 PM

Just had a small amount of german chocolate ice cream from BR!

executioneer Nov 2nd, 2011 09:23 PM

top round steak i cooked in worcestershire sauce, sriracha, and tequila

Shyandquietguy Nov 2nd, 2011 09:26 PM

100 grand fun size bar.

That I bought myself!

k0k0 Nov 2nd, 2011 09:58 PM

All I had to eat tonight was a single serving of mashed potatoes and a couple lunchmeat slices of turkey.

All Hail Duke Nov 2nd, 2011 10:43 PM

sloppy joes and leftover candy

Kitsa Nov 2nd, 2011 11:15 PM

Milky Way bar.

Kitsa Nov 6th, 2011 04:25 PM

Goofing around in the kitchen and came up with a cinnamon roll cookie. It's all kinds of kickass but they're the damnedest things to cook. In for 7 minutes, underdone. In for 7 minutes 30 seconds, underdone. In for 8 minutes, burned. :( :thefuck

k0k0 Nov 6th, 2011 04:46 PM

I tried making gluten free biscuits this morning. They ended up looking more like cookies. And they were terrible.

Fathom Zero Nov 6th, 2011 05:00 PM

I like my cookies slightly underdone. Yum.

Kitsa Nov 7th, 2011 01:20 PM

Got a new cookbook for French macaroons (as opposed to the coconut-and-condensed-milk blobs that haunt Passover). I love macaroons, but they're insanely effort-intensive and they take an entire day to make, once you factor in the whipping and the piping and the drying and the baking and the setting and the filling. So I've got the stuff to make pistachio ones, but I haven't gotten to it yet because I haven't had an entire day to spend on one batch of cookies.

I'd like to make eggnog ones, too, but my eggnog flavoring oil is 2 years old and I've got to find some new.

Kitsa Nov 24th, 2011 09:46 PM

Made it all mydamnself, too, from scratch. Plus two pies, one sweet potato and one pumpkin.

Esuohlim Nov 24th, 2011 11:32 PM

As a poor Ethiopian child I can't help but feel jealousy and anger toward your Thanksgiving rituals of excess and gluttony!

Fuck you Americans, all I ate today were my boogers

k0k0 Nov 24th, 2011 11:43 PM

I had nothing because although my sister said she would make the main course without gluten, she used cream of mushroom on the roast. And everything else she made had gluten. So I ate absolutely nothing. Who the fuck makes a roast on thanksgiving over turkey anyways? Savages, that's who.

dextire Nov 24th, 2011 11:48 PM

Dang, that looks like it's from a magazine. :xmas1
Did you brine the turkey?

I finally found a stuffing recipe that works. I don't like sage in most dishes, but sage stuffing is delicious.

k0k0 Nov 24th, 2011 11:54 PM

And kitsa, that truly does look like it was from a magazine. Reason number 9 that I wish you were my mother.

Kitsa Nov 25th, 2011 12:09 AM

Thanks. I didn't brine the turkey because one year (under the influence of chef Michael Ruhlman, whom I'd just heard speak a week or so before), I brined it and forgot what that would do to the gravy. The resulting salt-sludge turned me off brining for the rest of my life. The turkey was ok...no better, no worse. I went back to rubbing the cavity with kosher salt and stuffing it with mirepoix and it turns out ok often enough to stick with.

Last year I went nuts and made a really ridiculously involved chestnut stuffing that tasted great but took forever. I never want to roast and peel chestnuts again. This year I simplified it, got precooked vacuum-packed chestnuts, and it turned out better. Here's exactly how-

-Buy one box of stove top turkey dressing and one box of sage dressing.
-Make according to directions, but instead of water use chicken broth. Just use both boxes of dressing dumped in together.
-While you're waiting for the broth to boil, saute diced celery and onions with chopped roasted chestnuts in butter until they're softened and golden-brown on the edges.
- When the stuffing is at the "take it off the heat and put a lid on it to steam it" phase, stir in the celery, onions and chestnuts until they're well-incorporated in the rest of it. Put it in a greased casserole dish and bake under foil for the last 45 minutes the turkey is baking. If it looks dry, add more chicken broth. To crisp it up, take the foil off and raise the oven temp for a few minutes.

Thank you for the compliments. I could have done a tablecloth and nice dinnerware, but my kid would have had it all ruined in minutes and I didn't need that sort of aggravation.

dextire Nov 25th, 2011 12:36 AM

The main reason I use a brine is because I cook such a large bird (up to 20lbs) that it would be dry if I didn't.
I also add a bunch of whole black pepper, ginger, and allspice to the brine and after about 24 hours it really soaks through the whole bird and adds a lot of flavor.

For gravy I cook the giblets in a skillet, then chop them super fine and add chicken broth and flour.

Zhukov Nov 25th, 2011 09:49 AM

Looks amazing, but I still can't help but think that chicken tastes way better than turkey.

Kitsa Nov 25th, 2011 04:26 PM

Turkey can taste kind of gamey sometimes, but there's room in my world for both.

ThrashO Nov 25th, 2011 05:15 PM

anybody else think dark meat is fucking gross? I can't stand it :x

k0k0 Nov 25th, 2011 05:21 PM

Eat a dick. Turkey legs are the god's meat.

Fathom Zero Nov 25th, 2011 05:32 PM

Anything but dark meat is like trying to eat clumps of sawdust.

Pentegarn Nov 27th, 2011 12:49 PM

A bunch of leftover chicken noodles followed by 1 cookie for dessert

Kitsa Nov 28th, 2011 04:08 PM

Once a year at a pre-appointed time, I go to an isolated parking lot and pay $18 for a crate of real, actually-have-flavor-to-them Florida oranges off the back of a truck.

Apart from the fear that a coral snake is snuggled around one of them, they're incredible.

Kitsa Dec 13th, 2011 08:44 PM

Sara Lee "mince" pie. I think most "mincemeat" has contained little or no meat for a very long time. This is like a dark spicy apple raisin thing. It's ok I guess. I like it better than the English mince pies I've had because there are no mystery hard chunks or fig newtony seeds.

Tacobot Dec 28th, 2011 11:28 PM

An avocado with a little pepper and lemon.

Zhukov Dec 29th, 2011 08:10 AM

Just got back from a mate's place, where he made me some kind of garlic, ginger, tofu and noodle soup thing. It was delicious as.

Ex Leper Dec 30th, 2011 05:20 PM

Leftover Ziti

Kitsa Jan 3rd, 2012 02:21 AM

I've gotten more into intense couponing while grocery shopping lately. Not like the insufferable ones on TV who dumpster dive for coupons and then take 40 carts to the checkout, but more in that direction than the occasional 10 cents off for something. Tomorrow I'm going to try and do about $120 in food for less than $25. Pretty sure I can if everything works out. The other day I managed 7 tubes of toothpaste and 7 toothbrushes for 28 cents, so it can happen.

Since it's a hobby I've managed to find that combines math, food and shopping for food, and it regularly scores me free shit, I'm fairly happy with it.

Babs Jan 3rd, 2012 06:36 PM

Jalapeno chicken from new grand buffet. It's not going over well with my sensitive asshole. My response...

It's not funny :tear

All Hail Duke Jan 4th, 2012 03:47 PM

rolos

Kitsa Jan 9th, 2012 12:24 AM

horrible, horrible curry. Going to have to go back to making my own, which I hate to do because it stinks up the house :(

Zhukov Jan 9th, 2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 753261)
I've gotten more into intense couponing while grocery shopping lately. Not like the insufferable ones on TV who dumpster dive for coupons and then take 40 carts to the checkout, but more in that direction than the occasional 10 cents off for something. Tomorrow I'm going to try and do about $120 in food for less than $25. Pretty sure I can if everything works out. The other day I managed 7 tubes of toothpaste and 7 toothbrushes for 28 cents, so it can happen.

Since it's a hobby I've managed to find that combines math, food and shopping for food, and it regularly scores me free shit, I'm fairly happy with it.

Just learn to shoplift.

I also had a horrible curry yesterday. It was just spicy tomato sauce with boiled chicken (the off-cuts) thrown in. Really revolting. I paid $14 for it and nearly threw it back in their faces. Lucky for them I was starving.

Right now I am eating spaghetti.

Kitsa Jan 10th, 2012 08:41 AM

This is actually better than shoplifting because in some instances the stores actually pay you to take the stuff off their hands. It just takes a lot of work to figure out where you can accomplish that. If you don't want to keep the item yourself, which I guess you wouldn't, being a communist and all, you could always donate it to the needy and count the footwork as part of the donation.

For example, I got this for twenty-eight cents, which is...what, about the same in AUD?

There are also coupons this week that would enable you to get a glucometer for $1 (sending them to a free clinic) and various hygiene products for nothing or nearly nothing. I've had dental floss that cost less than the coupon for it, resulting in an "overage" I could use to pay for other things. There's a seasonings packet that's marked 77 cents, if you print out the dollar coupon and buy several of them there's a dollar in overage you can spend on something else right there.

It's effort-intensive, but it's also nice to walk off with a full cart of groceries for less than 20 bucks.

Zhukov Jan 11th, 2012 10:02 AM

I was only kidding, I don't mean to bag out coupons. Sounds like you've gotten some good deals.

I am sort of expecting you to pose with your toothpaste in one hand and a wad of hundred dollar bills in the other to show how gangster you are, though.

Kitsa Jan 12th, 2012 09:05 AM

Traditionally, my presence in a photo automatically ungangsters it. :/

monster_movie_night Jan 12th, 2012 06:04 PM

I had a Big Carl combo at Carl JR it sucks that they took long to copy Mcdonald's Big Mac and out of Big Mac, whopper and a Big Carl i would obviously go for Big Carl :)

Tacobot Jan 14th, 2012 02:45 AM

Buttered rolls eh s'ok

All Hail Duke Jan 14th, 2012 03:56 AM

saltines

All Hail Duke Jan 15th, 2012 08:46 PM

made some spicy southwestern carribean jerk burgers w/ honey bbq sauce on toasted kaiser rolls, pretty good

Zhukov Jan 16th, 2012 06:56 AM

Cheese sandwiches.

dontlookback Jan 17th, 2012 07:19 PM

Yodel.

Kitsa Jan 17th, 2012 09:11 PM

Skinny cow candy. It's not half bad. It's like a Turtle but with rice krispies instead of pecans.

All Hail Duke Jan 19th, 2012 12:53 PM

pancakes

Zhukov Jan 21st, 2012 07:29 PM

So I made this biscuit batter stuff, but it is far too sugary to bake, so I'm just eating it straight from the bowl. It's just butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and some flour.

It's hurting my chest though, and I'm not sure I can finish it without my heart giving out.

Zhukov Feb 22nd, 2012 11:02 PM

Anyone have any quick and easy recipes for apple pie that they would like to share?

I saw a good one where you just mix flour, sugar and eggs in a bowl, then dump a sliced apple in there and bake it, but I can't remember the ingredient measurements.

Kitsa Feb 24th, 2012 01:08 AM

I make apple crumble because I hate pie crust

kahljorn Mar 2nd, 2012 11:12 PM

i got these really good burritos from some mexican food place

the salsa is weird though. one of them tastes like an indian chutney w/ mint sauce mixedin and the other one is all sweet chipotle flavored. its good as hell though

caffman Apr 10th, 2012 02:40 PM

Spicy rice with chicken, pepperoni, Chorizo slices and chunks with a creole base

MarioRPG Apr 11th, 2012 10:30 AM

Right now I'm eating good ol' Raisin Bran, but tonight I'll hopefully make something out of this:

Kitsa Apr 12th, 2012 06:54 PM

Black beans with grilled red bell peppers, onions and hot sauce

darkvare Apr 13th, 2012 01:17 AM

frijoles charros so delicious

Tacobot Apr 16th, 2012 02:53 AM

Hot cheetos a Kit Kat and a Chocodile. Chocodiles suck dix.

Kitsa Apr 16th, 2012 05:43 AM

Tea and Popsicles :(

Big McLargehuge Apr 17th, 2012 04:10 PM

I am sneaking jelly beans in the computer commons at my school.

Tadao Apr 17th, 2012 04:56 PM

My wife and I went gluten free. It's not that hard actually and most of the foods are GMO free as well. :(

Anyways, I feel better and I've been cutting back on meds to see if it's working. So far so good.

:eek

Fathom Zero Apr 17th, 2012 05:00 PM

Duzzat mean your bones and joints are better? :eek

Tadao Apr 17th, 2012 06:04 PM

50 percent less pain :eek

Fathom Zero Apr 17th, 2012 06:44 PM

FASCINATING :EEK

Guitar Woman Apr 18th, 2012 12:15 PM

Is it possible to buy an entire bag of just the little brown toast slices in Party Mix?

Tadao Apr 18th, 2012 01:02 PM

yes

ThrashO Apr 19th, 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 757697)
Is it possible to buy an entire bag of just the little brown toast slices in Party Mix?

those are fucking disgusting

maybe you should eat an entire bag of dicks instead

Kitsa Apr 21st, 2012 06:20 PM

at least dicks don't break your teeth (:supermanjoke)

pizza hut thin crust veggie pizza.

Esuohlim Apr 22nd, 2012 03:34 AM

I scrambled some eggs with one turkey meatball and some hot sauce and put that on a hamburger bun because I'm pretty poor these days :(

All Hail Duke Apr 22nd, 2012 10:31 AM

had a cheese danish for breakfast

Kitsa Apr 23rd, 2012 05:59 PM

Curried tofu (pretty fucking good- has scrambled egg texture without eggy taste) and stir fried bell peppers/onions/bok choy in corn tortillas

All Hail Duke Apr 24th, 2012 12:04 AM

had a chilli dog and a strawberry shake from weinerschnitzel

Kitsa Jun 3rd, 2012 12:00 AM

Arugula salad with pear slices and warm red quinoa, topped with homemade dijon vinaigrette ( 2 tsp dijon, 1 tsp balsamic, 1 tsp red wine, 1 tsp honey or agave, 1 tsp water), fresh fruit on the side. The dressing and the pear tone the arugula way down.

It was from a recipe in the Happy Herbivore Everyday cookbook, out of which I've tried 7 meals with no duds so far.

Fathom Zero Jun 3rd, 2012 12:04 AM

RIBS.

FOUR RACKS.

AND CORN.

Kitsa Jun 3rd, 2012 12:09 AM

I went to a Strawberry Festival west of here. There were strawberry burritos, strawberry cannoli, strawberry salsa, strawberry bbq sauce, deep fried strawberries, all manner of strawberry pastries, strawberry drinks, etc etc etc.

I didn't get any of the strawberry stuff because I went one year and saw behind a food tent that they were just cracking open store boxes of berries and throwing them right in the food without washing them, and that freaked me right the hell out.

I almost got a donut but then I saw they were like red velvet cake and that's got an entire bottle of red food color in it so I didn't do that either :(

Fathom Zero Jun 3rd, 2012 12:22 AM

maaaaaaaaaaan red's good for you

Kitsa Jun 9th, 2012 07:27 PM

Tried Kashi's Mayan Pasta Bake. It was ok. It was a fried plantain and some pumpkin seeds on top of a sort of casserole of polenta, quinoa, black beans, sweet potato and enchilada sauce. It tasted better than it looked; frozen stuff always looks like a train wreck compared to what's on the box.

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2012 12:58 AM

im surprised that tasted good

im more surprised that you saw that list of ingredients and thought it sounded good together :O

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 01:06 AM

When you cut stuff out of your diet you'd be surprised at what starts sounding good. If you spice vegan stuff right, it's pretty good, pretty complex. Pretty much the only flavors meat has going for it are...what, salt and fat, basically.

And I was mistaken about the name- it was Mayan Harvest Bake. The plaintains had a golden-brown coating and it looked, at first glance, like chicken on a bed of rice.

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2012 03:14 AM

"salt and fat, basically."

but those are basically the only good flavors

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2012 03:22 AM

I CONCUR

FAT IS AN EXCELLENT VECTOR FOR FLAVOR

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 08:14 AM

Eh, I just had to take a whole class on the neurological perception of "yumminess" based on caloric density of foods because biologically we're lazy fucks who want the biggest bang for our buck.

Fat is 4,000 calories a pound, pretty much, regardless of type. Salad greens are 100 calories a pound.

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2012 11:25 AM

I DONT THINK THATS WHAT MAKES FAT delicious

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 01:16 PM

Then enlighten me please

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2012 02:31 PM

If that was true, 20 veggie burgers would be delicious

But I would rather eat some ham.

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 04:10 PM

Not so, because eating 20 veggie burgers would require effort, and what we want is least effort for most reward.

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2012 04:15 PM

exactly, the most flavor per pound

fat

Esuohlim Jun 10th, 2012 07:53 PM

Then a stick of butter or a bowl of mayonnaise would sound amazing.

Fathom Zero Jun 10th, 2012 08:23 PM

There's a lot of fats out there and there's not just fat in those.

Those are gross.

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2012 08:23 PM

but a stick uf butter can becomecookies and a bowl of mayonaisse can become some kind of salad

also fat is delicious because all of those little animals scurry around eating their favorite foods and save the best parts for later, which is what we're eating
;)

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 09:54 PM

or you could look at it as getting your nutrients secondhand

thirdhand if they feed the livestock animal meal

kahljorn Jun 10th, 2012 10:16 PM

the animals cooked u a treat inside of their bodies and now you enjoy it or else >:

Kitsa Jun 10th, 2012 10:18 PM

I'm ok, but you go ahead.

Yesterday I watched that Hutterite show on NatGeo and they shot a cow in the face :tear