I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Article Discussion (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weekly Movie Review: My Blue Heaven (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700330)

MockBot Aug 11th, 2008 03:02 AM

Weekly Movie Review: My Blue Heaven

Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: My Blue Heaven.

GreenPeaness Aug 11th, 2008 02:42 PM

The hair, the Italian accent, the clothes, the mannerisms... he's got the stereotypical mafia guy down perfectly in this flick.

Are you kidding me? Stereotyping is one thing, but Martin walks around like he's in some kind of kid's play. His delivery is wooden. His accent is comical only in that he sounds like someone trying to do a bad impersonation of Robert DeNiro. And, Strange Brew notwithstanding, a comedy vehicle with Rick Moranis carrying 50% of the billing? No sir. Big Bully. That is what I have to say to that.

Mac Brookman Aug 11th, 2008 04:17 PM

I will always fondly remember the scene where Steve Martin teaches kids how to pick pockets while everybody around them is singing the national anthem.

Scorpio1976 Aug 11th, 2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenPeaness (Post 573639)
Are you kidding me? Stereotyping is one thing, but Martin walks around like he's in some kind of kid's play. His delivery is wooden. His accent is comical only in that he sounds like someone trying to do a bad impersonation of Robert DeNiro. And, Strange Brew notwithstanding, a comedy vehicle with Rick Moranis carrying 50% of the billing? No sir. Big Bully. That is what I have to say to that.

Big Bully...now THAT was an underappreciated Rick Moranis (and Tom Arnold) film!

Colonel Flagg Aug 11th, 2008 09:32 PM

It's not my favorite Steve Martin movie, but, like PT&A, it has some great moments, worth the price of a super saver DVD. Nice pick for a review, -RoG-. Or, might I say "Great day for a mow, ay?"

alittlebirdytoldmeso Aug 12th, 2008 10:00 AM

I was 12 when this movie came out and saw it with my brothers who were 11 and 9. We all though it was the shit back then. Maybe you just have to be a kid.

Miroslav208 Aug 12th, 2008 01:46 PM

It seems like one that Comedy Central would play in the morning on a saturday. Sort of like The Lonely Guy or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Funny, yet, unfortunately, mostly forgotten.

RadioNinja Aug 12th, 2008 03:15 PM

"Oh? What's your dogs name?"
"Fongul!"

(probably spelled it wrong...)

Dungeonbrownies Aug 12th, 2008 05:31 PM

steve martin attended my old highschool, but when he was written up for the reunion he denied ever going to a school in the middle of no where, although teachers who taught him were still alive and there were alot of pictures of him in our record yearbook, so prettymuch he's a secret asshole.

Nick Aug 13th, 2008 03:19 AM

Wish Rick Moranis would return to the Silver Screen soon. :(

Captain PirateFace Aug 13th, 2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenPeaness (Post 573639)
The hair, the Italian accent, the clothes, the mannerisms... he's got the stereotypical mafia guy down perfectly in this flick.

aaah man... don't hate on good ol' Steve Martin.. So his accent isn't "dead on" I have met full blooded Italians who can't muster a decent wise guy imitation, hell at least Martin had body language, facial gestures and comedic timing. Give the guy a break, I mean hell he is one of my all time favorite actors and I even think his recent like 6 years + of films have mostly been shite.

Mockery Aug 13th, 2008 12:02 PM

It's not supposed to be "dead on" like a real Italian accent... it's supposed to be an exaggeration of it, which it is, and that's what makes it so great.

RationalDementia Aug 13th, 2008 06:59 PM

The biggest laugh in the film for me comes during Vinnie's first visit to the local supermarket. He grabs a label gun that some stocker set down, labels a shitload of steaks and other meats with like 65 cent price tag and walks up to the checkout with about $2000 worth of meat, which is rung up to a total of like $22, which nobody stops to question. Finally, just to drive home just how small a town he's been moved to, when he gives the checker a $100 bill to pay, the kid holds it up an yells "Wow! A hundred!"

Great.

Poxpower Aug 17th, 2008 06:55 PM

He looks like Kramer.