I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Left 4 Dead 2 announced... wait, what? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702353)

MetalMilitia Jun 1st, 2009 02:51 PM

Left 4 Dead 2 announced... wait, what?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47...or-PC-Xbox-360

Quote:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), the sequel to the best-selling and critically-acclaimed co-operative multiplayer thriller. Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 and PC, L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-operative action games and become one of 2009's marquee titles.
"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."
Set for release on November 17, the title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaw, frying pan, axe, baseball bat, and more.
Introducing the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.
Featuring new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original with more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, and maps for Survival mode available at launch.
Supported by a $10+ million marketing campaign, Left 4 Dead has sold over 2.5 million retail copies since it was released in November of 2008. Left 4 Dead 2 is targeted for release on Xbox 360 and the PC on November 17, 2009, and will be launched worldwide with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign across TV, Outdoor, and Online.
"Left 4 Dead was backed by our most aggressive advertising campaign to date, and resulted in a top 5 showing on two platforms during holiday 2008," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Left 4 Dead 2 is a larger game and will be supported with even more consumer and retail advertising programs than the original."
Kind of out of character for Valve to announce a sequel so quickly after the first game :/

Fathom Zero Jun 1st, 2009 03:10 PM

I'M ECSTATIC

Sam Jun 1st, 2009 03:27 PM

I hope it has Francis in it so he can hate all new stuff. :eek

MetalMilitia Jun 1st, 2009 03:37 PM

Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-left-4-dead/49967?type=flv

Phoenix Gamma Jun 1st, 2009 04:06 PM

Meh. Should have been an update. TF2's getting new maps, modes and weapons still.

Didn't the SDK just come out for the first game? Where's HL2 episode 3?

Fathom Zero Jun 1st, 2009 05:53 PM

I'M ECSTATIC

kahljorn Jun 1st, 2009 06:43 PM

i can't wait :O i was hoping they would do something like this... I just hope it doesn't end up being like soldier of fortune two's randomness :O :O

left4dead is great, but once you memorize all the levels, even with the director, it's not as surprising/scary as before.

Fathom Zero Jun 1st, 2009 06:57 PM

RANDOM LEVEL GENERATORS

Sam Jun 1st, 2009 08:11 PM

THIS IS ALMOST AS COOL AS WHEN I SAW LEFT 4 HEAD

MattJack Jun 2nd, 2009 01:03 AM

Meh.

L4D was good. About two weeks later it became aight. Couldn't imagine paying more than 14.99 for this game. I agree with PG in that it should have just been an update :\

master chief Jun 11th, 2009 09:48 PM

I told my friend the same thing I will say here, it takes them 10 years between team fortress 1 and 2, not saying its a good game, but still, 3 years between half life 2 episode 1 and episode 2, they still havn't even announced half life 2 episode 3... and they pull this left 4 dead idea out of their ass and make it in less than a year and announce a sequal within a year! I want half life games.. to be honest... my xbox is broken to so I can't even get left 4 dead...

O yea and from what you said mattjack, someone thought the same thing you did and made this hilarious video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K9bF...495&feature=iv

LordSappington Jun 12th, 2009 12:10 AM

The only problem I have with this is that I liked the characters too much to get these new ones.
I mean, you had the pissed off Vietnam vet, the motorcyclist, tattooed guy who hates everything, the movie-quoting chick, and the moderately funny black guy. All traded for Louisiana stereotypes.
Also, they better add more depth to the guns. I got sick of choosing between pistol, SMG, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, and auto-shotgun. Seriously, you couldn't maybe add a few extra guns to each class, with different specs?

TheBigMan045 Jun 12th, 2009 06:25 PM

i just played l4d online at netcafes and shit cant wait for it to be released so i can suck even more

Chojin Jun 12th, 2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master chief (Post 632943)
I told my friend the same thing I will say here, it takes them 10 years between team fortress 1 and 2, not saying its a good game, but still, 3 years between half life 2 episode 1 and episode 2, they still havn't even announced half life 2 episode 3... and they pull this left 4 dead idea out of their ass and make it in less than a year and announce a sequal within a year! I want half life games.. to be honest... my xbox is broken to so I can't even get left 4 dead...

O yea and from what you said mattjack, someone thought the same thing you did and made this hilarious video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K9bF...495&feature=iv

Too bad half life and its sequel were fucking awful

bigtimecow Jun 13th, 2009 12:55 AM

remember chojin, you're talking to master chief here

LordSappington Jun 13th, 2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 633118)
Too bad half life and its sequel were fucking awful

I have lost all respect for you.

Chojin Jun 13th, 2009 10:37 AM

HALF-LIFE 2: XTREME MOTORBOATING

Phoenix Gamma Jun 13th, 2009 10:55 AM

MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN YOURS.

Guitar Woman Jun 13th, 2009 11:01 AM

Over 50% of Half Life 2's original content was cut out for release time or some shit. I really hope someone uses that leaked 2003 stuff to re-create a little bit of the lost content, because some of it sounds pretty sweet. Especially the Tau Canon, which was my favorite gun in the original game and ended up only being mounted on that shitty scout buggy.

I think Episode 2 is really, really good, though.

Take a drink every time Alyx is APPALLED by the situation at hand.

Chojin Jun 13th, 2009 11:33 AM

Half-life 2 was long enough without 50% more content. What they had in there already sucked a dick, and I'm not confident that they only cut out the good parts.

I love pretty much everything else Valve has done, but I hate the HL series. It's just boring and awful.

LordSappington Jun 13th, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 633201)
Half-life 2 was long enough without 50% more content. What they had in there already sucked a dick, and I'm not confident that they only cut out the good parts.

I love pretty much everything else Valve has done, but I hate the HL series. It's just boring and awful.

I'll admit the boat and buggy were tedious, but at the same time I liked that, because it's not like in Halo, where you get a car, just to go maybe a mile or two. It kinda reminded you that this was a desperate dash for the next rebel station, and it wasn't going to be easy.

Guitar Woman Jun 13th, 2009 12:11 PM

The vehicle segments are sort of neat, they just have awful controls and absolutely no challenge to them.

LordSappington Jun 14th, 2009 01:54 PM

I dunno; on hard, that helicopter will ruin you if you're not careful.

Guitar Woman Jun 14th, 2009 01:58 PM

Or if you don't keep the W key held down

Danny 4 Eyes Jun 15th, 2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

THIS IS ALMOST AS COOL AS WHEN I SAW LEFT 4 HEAD
I hear that mate.