I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Star Wars Episode III (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17264)

Skulhedface May 18th, 2005 04:37 PM

Star Wars Episode III

As much as I want to say Episodes I and II pissed me off and disappointed me, I must say I'm squealing with delight to go see this one.

So I was fortunate enough to get my hands on tickets to the very first showing (the midnight premiere) and one of the best parts is knowing I can bring my camera along and take pictures of all the people that are going to dress up for this, haha.

Anyone else plan on seeing this? Or has Lucas alienated you far too much?

pjalne May 18th, 2005 05:01 PM

I'm seeing it in two hours. I have to admit I've got a bit of a Star Wars tingle. A small one, but still.

I'm way too tired from partying and travelling to do anything, though. Hopefully I won't fall asleep at the theater.

adeptninja May 18th, 2005 05:10 PM

yes me and other ninja also got tickets for the first show im excited im not going to lie

xenosoul May 18th, 2005 07:15 PM

Im there at 12:01 midnight.. Should be a fun experience...

pjalne May 18th, 2005 10:09 PM

Spoilers

It was quite a bit better than the last one, and way better than episode one. It felt really disjointed, though, but I was really tired and everything feels disjointed when you're in that state. It also had the same problem the last two had, where you have large portions where guys in robes are standing around delivering their lines and then suddenly go all Super Mario 64 and flip around like fucking ninjas before putting their hands back into their sleeves and talking again.

The acting was better in parts, especially when the actors had some feelings to work with. Anakin going nuts and beating his woman around showed Christensen actually can act, and when MacGregor had to deal with him he was able to do something besides yapping about trade federations with Samuel Jackson. And Palpatine had just the right amount of ham in him. His emperor face transformation was worse than Hitler, though.

My biggest problem was that characters came and went without any doors slamming. Christopher Lee was killed the second he entered the room, Jackson got a classic Disney death halfway through and was never referred to again, and the wookies was only around long enough for Yoda to go "Oh, by the way, that dude was Chewbacca, everybody. Quite the revelation if you ask me."

Was it just me, or did Lucas point a finger at Bush every chance he got?

Studio8 May 18th, 2005 10:47 PM

Have fun tonight guys

Dr. Boogie May 18th, 2005 11:17 PM

I just saw a commercial for it that proclaimed "sith happens."

jin May 19th, 2005 01:39 AM

I thought the acting was terribly wooden, and the script unbearable. ;0

Most scenes were two people talking like they tried to swallow a thesaurus and then spent a while thinking how to use their new words in a witty way ;<

All the scenes were way too short- it felt like the movie was two movies where they had to shorten the length by cutting all the scenes in half, especially hilarious was the "I cant watch this anymore!" 0.5 second scene- i had to agree with him ;<

And Yoda trash-talking was A+

The movie would have been a major waste of time if it werent for R2 and Yoda, and their combined 10 seconds of screen time. ;<

But that was just me ;<

Immortal Goat May 19th, 2005 04:03 AM

I loved it. And yes, Lucas did point the finger at Bush throughout the movie. For example:

*-_-*SPOILERS*-_-*
Only Sith deal in absolutes.

Carnivore May 19th, 2005 04:17 AM

Dark. Oh, so delightfully dark. Superior to the first two, although that's not saying much.

SPOILERS

Killing children and shooting Jedi in the back! Holy crap, that was sadistic. I loved it!

Anakin turning on Padme was great. Perfectly done.

I love it when Anakin caught fire. Nothing cooler than that!

So evil, I had to post under my evil name!

Ninjavenom May 19th, 2005 04:38 AM

I popped a huge boner from the second it started, and it's still not gone. Too many cool things to recount, but i'll try SPOILERS to anyway.

Quote:

I didn't think R2 was that funny, but he played a great bit part while he was around.

Anakin actually kicked ass and made up for the last movie's Anakin entirely by being ruthless and sadistic, as Carnivore said. The murdering of children was as dark and awesome as the blackest forests of the grim norse wintermoon. Also way awesome when he caught fire.

GENERAL GRIEVOUS.

Yoda was awesome, but a lot of people were like "ROFL OMGZ LOL" every time he did anything, which was kind of annoying. But shit, the lightsabertoss/impaling was excellent, as was the whole senate seat battle with Palpy.

Natalie Portman was cute :love

Mace Windu's murder was downright COLD-BLOODED. Also kinda gay that they never mention him again in the movie.

Anakin cutting down an entire room of helpless viceroy. And then he kills the one bastard mid-sentence. Awesome.

Super-sweer CGI, as always.

Excellent dogfight at the beginning, and the wookies were jawesome as well.

Use of force lightning. +5

Use of force choke. +10

Use of force push. +5

Use of force "make someone sleep". -5

Use of "beat the shit out of Crimson Guards with a gesture of the hand". +30

Outside of Vader's "noooo" scene, it's pretty much exactly what i wanted to and expected to see. Great way to make up for the last two movies and to feed my bloodthirst.

pjalne May 19th, 2005 07:12 AM

I now declare this a full-on spoiler thread.

Yeah, I don't know about the NOOOOOO! thing myself. And I agree with Jin on the cut-in-half thing, most of the time it felt like something happened, and then it was over and didn't resonate through the rest of the movie at all.

And for once, I thought R2 actually was funny. I never really minded the guy, but I've always gone "Yeah, yeah, you're a submarine, that's hilarious, get out of the water so we can see Yoda." And I also loved that after years of fan bitching and speculation about why C3PO doesn't remember anything about Anakin, Lucas just throws in the dude from NYPD Blue going "Oh, and erase their memories while you're at it" to a random guy, and then that subplot is over.

jin May 19th, 2005 10:18 AM

General Grievous was awesome, but killed way to easily. ;<

That was actually one of my biggest disappointments. ;<

A four-armed murderous, alien monster/Sith death machine, is killed because some guy from trainspotting shot his big red flashing spot. ;<

But Vader catching fire was hilarious. He already was lying on the ground with no arms or legs, then all of a sudden he was on fire. ;D

Also hilarious, is that it was okay for Obi-wan to just leave Anakin on a lava planet- with no arms or legs- on fire, just because, well, jedi cant kill an unarmed enemy. ;0

The entire last half was just a rushed attempt at tidily making a bridge between the prequels to the originals. Oh look! He used his magic force lightning for 2 minutes and he becomes a withered old lizard man, but for the remainer of the movie it is used every 20 seconds without any detrimental effects! :O

Darth Vader just wobbling around yelling "Noooooo!" was so awkwardly done. ;<

I guess it will sell a ton of merchandise though, and really- that is all that matters. ;p

pjalne May 19th, 2005 11:00 AM

Also, General Grievous running and wheezing like crazy to answer the phone was the funniest moment in Star Wars ever. I don't mean involuntarily, it seriously was comedy gold.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute. Is Palpatine Anakin's father?

Carnivore May 19th, 2005 11:28 AM

That guy from Trainspotting, Ewan McGregor, kicks ass. He was an excellent Obi-Wan. I certainly hope your referring to him as that guy was not meant to be disparaging.

the_dudefather May 19th, 2005 11:42 AM

last time i look at this thread as i dash through comments trying to avoid spoilers.

anyway, i really hope the actor who plays anakin got some lessons since episode 2 featuring his frowny face which he has 90% of the time.

Mockery May 19th, 2005 12:45 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but someone please submit a decent review of it (whether you hated it or loved it) to the movie reviews site so I can post it on the main page. That'll allow people to start up a big discussion / flame-war about it.

http://www.i-mockery.com/moviereviews/submit.php

Thankee!

Immortal Goat May 19th, 2005 01:37 PM

Done, Mockery. Hope that helps.

Skulhedface May 19th, 2005 03:35 PM

I did one myself. Though mine's definitely going to come across as more fanboy-ish.

Mockery May 19th, 2005 03:37 PM

Thanks guys, and it doesn't matter if it's fanboyish... I'll just pick whichever one I think is more welll-written.

pjalne May 19th, 2005 03:48 PM

Oh crap, I forgot I was going to do a review of Bubba Ho-Tep. I'll get you one to put up once the Star Wars one has done its job.

DeadKennedys May 19th, 2005 03:53 PM

Ewan MacGregor (Obi Wan) and Ian McDarmid (Palpatine) were excellent, and managed to create very deep characters quickly.

Anakin, however, gets poutier until the end, when he gets badass.

"Master Skywalker, there's too many of them. Whatever will we do?"
Ksshh.... :lol

Mockery May 19th, 2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjalne
Oh crap, I forgot I was going to do a review of Bubba Ho-Tep. I'll get you one to put up once the Star Wars one has done its job.

Cool, yeah I leave the featured reviews up for about a week, so anytime next week would be cool. Just lemme know. :o

DeadKennedys May 19th, 2005 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jin
General Grievous was awesome, but killed way to easily. ;<

That was actually one of my biggest disappointments. ;<

A four-armed murderous, alien monster/Sith death machine, is killed because some guy from trainspotting shot his big red flashing spot. ;<

The entire last half was just a rushed attempt at tidily making a bridge between the prequels to the originals. Oh look! He used his magic force lightning for 2 minutes and he becomes a withered old lizard man, but for the remainer of the movie it is used every 20 seconds without any detrimental effects! :O

Darth Vader just wobbling around yelling "Noooooo!" was so awkwardly done. ;<

I was very disappointed with how quickly Greivous died too, even though he easily had the coolest death of any character. The problem was, he was weakened in the chest from when Windu stabbed him in the cartoon, and although he could throw those sabers around he couldn't use the force and wasn't nearly as skilled as Obi-Wan.

I assumed that Palpatine was deformed because it was the power of his hatred, his casting the lightning, and the power of good casting it right back in his face. Just casting it at Yoda wouldn't have had the same effect a second time.

Watching Darth scream "Noooo" and waddle was actually painful for me to watch, but overall I was very happy with the movie. Especially all the limb severing :)

Ninjavenom May 19th, 2005 05:29 PM

Yeah, Palpy's face changed because he had the lightning shot back into it, and he was finally revealed to be the sith lord, so he didn't really give a shit about hiding it anymore. He defied age anyway, he was the one who killed the ultimate sith lord or whoever it was. Was that a reference to the books or comics?