I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I hate this thread. (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703077)

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 12:32 AM

I hate this thread.

Why do I need insurance? Why can't I just carry around a suitcase full of money in case I get hurt, rather than give x-amount of dollars to an organization that will try its hardest to find a reason not to pay?

I know that the suitcase of money is illogical, but why not open an emergency account as most people do anyway? Why do I NEED auto insurance? Gah, this is dumb. Medical, people could give a fuck about.

TEACH me.

executioneer Sep 28th, 2009 12:41 AM

you need liability insurance in case you hurt SOMEONE ELSE, and you need other kinds of insurance to reassure the bank you borrow money from to buy the car that your collateral (the car) will still have value if you fuck up

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 12:44 AM

Ahhh, I'll just cut'em a check.

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 12:47 AM

And I guess it's not a "why should I do this", but rather "WHY DOES THIS STUPID SYSTEM EXIST".

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 12:52 AM

I hate this thread already.

executioneer Sep 28th, 2009 03:33 AM

i'm guessing a lot of people got hurt in accidents and the people who hit them could not afford to pay for it, or something

i halfway wish the gov't would provide the insurance if they're gonna force you to have it- but i'm sure that'd probably make things worse, actually

Dimnos Sep 28th, 2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 650537)
Why do I need insurance? Why can't I just carry around a suitcase full of money in case I get hurt, rather than give x-amount of dollars to an organization that will try its hardest to find a reason not to pay?

I know that the suitcase of money is illogical, but why not open an emergency account as most people do anyway? Why do I NEED auto insurance? Gah, this is dumb. Medical, people could give a fuck about.

TEACH me.

In some states you can buy a certificate from the state. This is a one time payment and I believe it is "used up" after your first wreck (or whatever) that you have to pay the other party. Ill look a little more into it and see if I can find the name of it again.

executioneer Sep 28th, 2009 09:39 AM

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 09:49 AM

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 28th, 2009 10:32 AM

Mostly if you hurt other people or cause damage to others property. Most people don't have a briefcase full of cash to pay for a broken wall that is available immediately. Most medical centers either won't treat you without insurance or if they accept to be paid directly won't tell you how much its going to be ahead of time. They feel safer being able to charge an insurance company. You'd be surprised how even the smallest thing can end up being really expensive.

Fathom Zero Sep 28th, 2009 11:27 AM

Oh, I know shit's horribly expensive. I just like keeping ties to a minimum. I like being independent and not answering to people, at least in that regard. Even if I had a bajillion dollars, I'd still need that stupid stuff, and that bothers me.

Wiffles Sep 28th, 2009 03:53 PM

I dont have insurance either. Theres a pretty slim chance something bad will happen anyway. :)

10,000 Volt Ghost Sep 29th, 2009 11:12 AM

I work for Travelers insurance (Property, Auto, Liability, Workers Comp, Disability) and you can't even imagine all the ridiculousness that happens out of nowhere. Especially Workers Comp.

Evil Robot Sep 29th, 2009 07:28 PM

Medical insurance is useless if they find out you don't have enough money for a lawyer. I have never had my insurance pay for anything, they ALWAYS tell me to have my attorney contact them and if I don't have one they can't help me. Medical insurance should ABSOLUTELY be nationalized so these greedy fucks can all go to hell and be replaced by people who don't give a shit how much their company spends.

The Leader Sep 29th, 2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiffles (Post 650638)
I dont have insurance either. Theres a pretty slim chance something bad will happen anyway. :)

I'm going to break your tiny Hamster legs.

Fathom Zero Sep 30th, 2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Robot (Post 650851)
Medical insurance is useless if they find out you don't have enough money for a lawyer. I have never had my insurance pay for anything, they ALWAYS tell me to have my attorney contact them and if I don't have one they can't help me. Medical insurance should ABSOLUTELY be nationalized so these greedy fucks can all go to hell and be replaced by people who don't give a shit how much their company spends.

I dunno. I've got Tricare at the moment. It's about what the quality healthcare would be, if the whole system was nationalized. And man, getting an appointment four weeks off for something that may be infectious is utter bullshit.

Seven Force Sep 30th, 2009 06:09 PM

You don't need insurance, pray to Jesus Christ! (dont do this if you lost a limb though)

Chojin Oct 2nd, 2009 06:12 AM

This thread is a self-fulfilling prophecy

Fathom Zero Oct 2nd, 2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 650543)
I hate this thread already.

>:

Seven Force Oct 5th, 2009 02:53 PM

At least you're not full of cum!

Fathom Zero Oct 5th, 2009 02:56 PM

Hay Seven Force.

Seven Force Oct 5th, 2009 02:57 PM

Hay Fathom Zero

Fathom Zero Oct 5th, 2009 03:29 PM

How's it going?

Seven Force Oct 5th, 2009 05:32 PM

Pretty good, i'm living in chicago now :) Also, you're going to want to get COMPLETELY covered on your car insurance unless you don't want to get anything back from an accident that wasn't your fault. :(

Fathom Zero Oct 5th, 2009 06:12 PM

I miss Chicago. :( Town's aces, I tells ya.

Sound advice, most likely. Thankfully, I've been lucky enough not to need a car. Such is the life of a college student. If I need to go out of town, I've got enough for a bus ticket.