I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports & Health (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Olympics (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69700009)

Pentegarn Jun 20th, 2008 08:53 AM

The Olympics

Haven't seen much yet about the Olympics other than the new coke cans, but thought I would slot us a thread for it so we can talk Olympics.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 21st, 2008 02:51 PM

I'm drinking a Russian one right now, spelled out Koka-Kola. Are Tobias and Boon from Russia?

Fathom Zero Jun 21st, 2008 03:10 PM

I fucking hate China. How's that?

Pentegarn Jun 22nd, 2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 562549)
I fucking hate China. How's that?

Vaguely Olympic related, but it counts. So good on ya!

MetalMilitia Jun 22nd, 2008 10:23 PM

I don't think anyone I've ever met gives a shit about the Olympics, and who can blame them.

Pub Lover Jun 22nd, 2008 10:30 PM

New Zealand thinks it's a big deal, but then we've only got the population of a large town. It takes half the nation just to front a single team.

Pentegarn Jun 22nd, 2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalMilitia (Post 562935)
I don't think anyone I've ever met gives a shit about the Olympics, and who can blame them.

It seems that way. But there will at least be something that happens that will be topic worthy, there always is.

WhiteRat Jun 23rd, 2008 12:48 AM

I've always enjoyed the summer olympics. It's fun to watch different countries duke it out but I mainly watch for the track and field events. By the way, Justin Wariner is a god (oh please please don't be on roids!).

Colonel Flagg Jun 23rd, 2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 562992)
By the way, Justin Wariner is a god (oh please please don't be on roids!).

I hope you are referring to Jeremy Wariner - Justin Gatlin is already alleged to have used PED's.

No matter, China will win all the gold medals. And most of the silver and bronze, too. :\

WhiteRat Jun 23rd, 2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 563014)
I hope you are referring to Jeremy Wariner - Justin Gatlin is already alleged to have used PED's.

No matter, China will win all the gold medals. And most of the silver and bronze, too. :\

Oops, I meant Jeremy.

Do you mean China will win the track and field medals or just the whole shebang in general?

Pentegarn Jun 23rd, 2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 563019)
Oops, I meant Jeremy.

Do you mean China will win the track and field medals or just the whole shebang in general?

Well they are used to breathing the pure black soot in the air there that L.A. thinks is jacked up :lol

Kitsa Jun 23rd, 2008 07:42 PM

I like the haka. I would pay more attention to the Olympics if the haka were incorporated into every sport.

Pub Lover Jun 23rd, 2008 09:36 PM

A lot of people here think the haka is overplayed and that it's lost it's effect because of it.
Quote:

Nine players from the United States gold medal winning women's football team from four years ago have made the 18-strong squad for the Beijing Games.
The United States is in the same group as New Zealand, Norway and Japan.
Co-captains Christie Rampone and Kate Markgraf will both be participating in their third Olympic Games while striker Abby Wambach, who grabbed the winning goal in extra-time in the Athens Olympic final against Brazil, is also included.
Well, that fucks NZ's hopes justs a bit more. :(

Fathom Zero Jun 23rd, 2008 09:41 PM

I'm not going to watch this one, either.

Colonel Flagg Jun 23rd, 2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 563019)

Why should they stop at track and field? Shooting, Power Walking, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Team Handball and Synchronized Swimming - they award medals for these too. And the gold is just as bright and shiny.

I'm just envisioning a propaganda-fest much like the world has not seen since the '36 Olympics in Berlin. :\

Kitsa Jun 23rd, 2008 10:11 PM

I like the Kama-Te haka but not the others. I wish they'd pick one and stick with it. I remember one I watched that was really effective (against South Africa, I think? Are they the Springboks?) but a lot of times everyone just sort of stands and lets them get it over with.

Colonel Flagg Jun 23rd, 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 563298)
Well they are used to breathing the pure black soot in the air there that L.A. thinks is jacked up :lol

Not to worry; they'll be shutting down all industry within a 50 kilometer radius of Beijing about a month prior to the start of the games, so the air is pure and clean for the TV cameras, then go back to poisoning their people.

Yes, a :xGREEN:x Olympics, indeed.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jun 23rd, 2008 10:25 PM

I read an article a few months ago about how Bush didn't want the U.S. to compete in the Olympics because he doesn't like how China treats other human beings(i.e. Tibetans). Ridiculous.

WhiteRat Jun 23rd, 2008 11:36 PM

US Men's Baxetball roster:

(PG) Chris Paul
(SG) Kobe Bryant
(SF) LeBron James
(PF) Carlos Boozer
(C) Dwight Howard
(PG) Jason Kidd
(PG) Deron Williams
(SG) Dwayne Wade
(SG) Michael Redd
(SF) Carmelo Anthony
(SF) Tayshaun Prince
(PF) Chris Bosh
Coach: Mike Krzyzewski

Gold medal or I'm never posting here again.

Colonel Flagg Jun 24th, 2008 07:14 AM

Ouch. Average margin of victory in all games better be >20 pts. No losses allowed.

Pentegarn Jun 24th, 2008 07:58 PM

Why do we not have a back up center?

Colonel Flagg Jun 24th, 2008 08:54 PM

I think USA BB has woken up to the idea that speed and ball-handling trumps shot-blocking and filling the lane. THey got trounced in Athens, losing 3 games in "winning" the bronze medal. This team is smaller, quicker, and with loads of outside shooting capability. Plus Bosh and Boozer can fill in at center if necessary.

Just a thought.

WhiteRat Jun 24th, 2008 09:05 PM

The Colonel nailed it on the head. The international game doesn't have many lumbering big men to duke it out in the paint. It's a quick game that relies pretty much on it's shooters.

Colonel Flagg Jun 24th, 2008 10:30 PM

I just read a sports column in the local rag stating the opinion, in part, "Who cares what USA basketball does in the Olympics?" His point was that the pro players are cheapening the Olympic Ideal - they don't stay in the village, they wear their own sponsor's clothes, they sign autographs for money, etc. etc.

To that I say "Screw You, and the Horse you rode in on!"

I want to see team USA crush the international competition at their own game. Not for any nationalistic fervor, but rather to showcase the NBA as the collection of the best basketball players in the world.

What do y'all think? Am I full of shit?

WhiteRat Jun 24th, 2008 10:39 PM

Hell no, you're right on the money. I want to watch the NBA players destroy everyone else but more for the claim that the US has the best basketball players on the planet. It's an embarrassment to finish third with 2nd/3rd tier talent. I wonder if countries like Argentina think that they can actually beat America's best (when I say best I'm talking KG, Kobe, LeBron, Amare, etc.).