I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Should I buy a PSP this Christmas? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701208)

Durrsomething Dec 7th, 2008 09:10 AM

Should I buy a PSP this Christmas?

I was thinking if I should get a PSP this Christmas, but can't make up my mind, I would like your opinions and what games I should get. Was thinking these games:

Megaman Powered Up

Power Stone

Castlevania

Darkstalkers

Dead Head Fred

Loco Roco

Disega

Gurumin

Medievil

Patapon

Gradius

Ghosts N' Goblins

Tadao Dec 7th, 2008 11:13 AM

Sir, your question is "Should I buy a PSP this Christmas?"

The answer is no.

McClain Dec 7th, 2008 11:58 AM

Don't buy one.

Buy two.

Phoenix Gamma Dec 7th, 2008 02:25 PM

1. Get a PSP
2. Get a Pandora's Battery
3. Mod PSP
4. Pirate PSP games
5. Realize all but three are mediocre/bad, regret your purchase.
6. Play Emulators on it instead

I don't even think there are any new games coming out for it this season. Square and Sony are the only ones who actually gives a damn about the system, and neither has a release for the game.

Fathom Zero Dec 7th, 2008 03:16 PM

I had shitloads of fun with mine before it got stoled.

The Syphon Filter games make me feel like a spy in a way that Metal Gear Solid was never able to. The multiplayer in it is far better than the Portable Ops games. But I don't know how many people are playing it anymore. All of the games you mentioned are righteous, and you should put Death Jr. and Twisted Metal on your list, as well. Pursuit Force is fun in a very silly way.

And, if you do go the modding route, don't ask me about it because I'm sick of explaining it to little bastards. If you do decide to, it would be the most powerful handheld emulating device on the planet. Until the Pandora comes out.

Phoenix Gamma Dec 7th, 2008 03:45 PM

A smart person should be able to figure it out through google. I did, at least.

Fathom Zero Dec 7th, 2008 06:17 PM

I was in the scene from the 2.5 firmware on high for about two years. I knew how things went down. You'd be amazed at how many dumb kids there are. They just kept asknig questions and never stopped. They'd follow simple, self-explanatory, idiot-proof instructions, get lost, and then ask why their PSP know shows nothing but a black screen. I'm glad Dark Alex had the foresight to include a recovery partition for the custom firmware.

Eventually, before I lost my PSP, I left the whole hackin' scene behind. I left for the greener pastures of the Nokia N800 and have never looked back since.

To anyone thinking of hacking the PSP: follow instructions to the letter. DON'T IMPROVISE, LEST YOU BRICK SOMETHING.

The same could be said of upgrading a firmware on any device.

Phoenix Gamma Dec 7th, 2008 07:15 PM

I almost successfully hard modded my battery.

Then my hand slipped.

:(

Nick Dec 7th, 2008 07:16 PM

I've lost my PSP. I am sad. :(

Mockery Dec 7th, 2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrsomething (Post 600413)
Ghosts N' Goblins

This.

It's pretty much the only reason I want a PSP... but I'm not gonna shell out 150+ (or whatever it costs these days) just to play that one game. If you don't have a DS, I'd suggest that because there are more good games on the DS than on all 3 consoles these days if you ask me.

pac-man Dec 7th, 2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 600499)
I'd suggest that because there are more good games on the DS than on all 3 consoles these days if you ask me.

Yeah, dude, buy a DS if you're really wanting to play games on the go.

Fathom Zero Dec 8th, 2008 12:01 AM

$150 is accurate as far as I can tell.

And I sold my DS. I don't know what it is about becoming disinterested with my portable things, but I do.

Supafly345 Dec 8th, 2008 02:05 AM

ALVIN, IS THIS WHAT THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS IS TO YOU? BUYING PRESENTS FOR YOUSELF?

Jeff The Ninja Dec 8th, 2008 07:12 AM

Dont forget that the first Star Ocean is now on the PSP. Also pick up the Capcom Classics Collection discs, Sega Genesis Collection, Metal Slug Collection, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX. Or just anything that comes from capcom.

And if you can find it, Pick up Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for the system, much better than the PSone and NES versions. Makes me wish they would Re-Release 6 on the system.

Nick Dec 8th, 2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

This.

It's pretty much the only reason I want a PSP... but I'm not gonna shell out 150+ (or whatever it costs these days) just to play that one game. If you don't have a DS, I'd suggest that because there are more good games on the DS than on all 3 consoles these days if you ask me.

I've beat the first two arcade titles in the series, but I find that Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins is insanely hard.

OxBlood Dec 10th, 2008 03:55 AM

I can only tell you how the whole portable-thing worked for me. I bought a PSP some years ago. I bought several games for it that were quite fun. Then I bough a DS lite and the PSP was almost instantly forgotten. I haven´t touched it in...I think since the Dracula X Chronicles were released.

Don´t get me wrong, the PSP has some really nice games and it produces better 3d than the DS, even though it´s still PS1-Niveau. But the DS is simply better for someone like me because:

-The battery lasts longer
-The Standby-mechanism (closing it) is just excellent
-It´s smaller (I don´t have Wookie-Hands)
-It operates without a sound, since there´s no spinning disc in it
-No loading times (most of the time at least)
-It´s a lot easier to get your DS to play DS-Roms without a risk of destroying it (even though I do try to buy all of my games it´s a great way to try some of them first)

The only thing I really don´t like is that there are no decent emulators for the thing.

Hm, now I only talked about the DS...guess that´s my opinion then.

Fathom Zero Dec 10th, 2008 07:45 AM

You can put PSP games on a memory stick. That reduces load times and makes the thing all but silent.

OxBlood Dec 10th, 2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 601057)
You can put PSP games on a memory stick. That reduces load times and makes the thing all but silent.

But donīt you have to mod the whole thing first to be able to do that? I never did that, since it seemed a bit too...risky to me, but I donīt really know about the whole process, so...

Neen Dec 10th, 2008 10:38 AM

Lumines.

Angryhydralisk Dec 10th, 2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

This.

Same here. There's two games I want on the PSP, one on the PS3, maybe two on the XBox360, and about 4 on the Wii. And I actually HAVE about a half-dozen games on the DS.

I love my DS.

Fathom Zero Dec 10th, 2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OxBlood (Post 601062)
But donīt you have to mod the whole thing first to be able to do that? I never did that, since it seemed a bit too...risky to me, but I donīt really know about the whole process, so...

No, they're on the Playstation Store.

Durrsomething Dec 10th, 2008 08:02 PM

Have a DS, got enough games for it for this year (or that I can think of.) I really do think I should get a PSP, with the surprise lack of new games this December. Plus, it's the only way right now to play Darkstalkers and Power Stone

Fathom Zero Dec 10th, 2008 08:27 PM

I think that Powerstone may have been ported to the Dreamcast. Can someone check me if I'm wrong?

Phoenix Gamma Dec 10th, 2008 09:11 PM

Didn't it originally come out for DC? :V

Also, DS has plenty of awesome games this season. Fire Emblem, Kirby Super Star, Chrono FUCKING Trigger, Metal Slug 7, Trackmania...

That's a fantastic lineup.

Sam Dec 10th, 2008 09:13 PM

Powerstone was originally for the arcade, then the DC, and now the PSP.