I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Does Half Life ever stop being scary? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23603)

James Jan 19th, 2007 12:12 AM

Does Half Life ever stop being scary?

asfsadfsa

Dr. Boogie Jan 19th, 2007 12:49 AM

I never really thought that there were any scares in that game. Isn't it just for the most part guys shooting at you, and maybe one or two cheap headcrab attacks?

Also, don't play System Shock 2.

Sam Jan 19th, 2007 12:54 AM

System Shock 2 is probably the scariest, creepiest game i have ever played. :(

But it's damn good.

EisigerBiskuit Jan 19th, 2007 01:20 AM

System Shock
DX

Dr. Boogie Jan 19th, 2007 02:22 AM

Also, don't play Thief. Lotta creepy levels there. And skip Thief 3, too. Shalebridge was downright unnerving.

Black Flag Jan 19th, 2007 02:49 AM

i've never played half-life so i can't attest to how scary it is but i'm totally in your corner for this one james

i'm such a pansy when there's scary stuff in video games. it's sad

Supafly345 Jan 19th, 2007 04:36 AM

Don't bother playing conker's bad fur day while you're not playing scary games. David could never get past the zombie squirrels 'cause of the freak factor.

executioneer Jan 19th, 2007 05:25 AM

the scariness sort of peters out towards the end, if i remember right

sort of the same with ss2, but the overall creepiness level stays pretty consistent up until the endgame in that one

James Jan 19th, 2007 05:43 AM

asdfsafsdf

noob3 Jan 19th, 2007 06:03 AM

James, I only bought HL to play CS originally, but I eventually did try the 1 player campaign. First time I played it I couldn't figure out what to do (don't ask)

Second time I played it I figured out what to do, but the fucking aliens made me quit playing! IDK man I never even got out of the base or anything lol I was too frightened to figure out what to do next :/

executioneer Jan 19th, 2007 06:04 AM

i haven't played it but according to jerkipedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia's Thief article
Although the first few missions are typical "rob a rich guy's mansion" levels, the latter 2/3s of the game takes place largely in monster-infested ruins where the player is pitted against various zombies, beasts, and inhuman creatures.

James Jan 19th, 2007 06:23 AM

asdfasddfs

executioneer Jan 19th, 2007 06:37 AM

man you're making ME want to play it again, too >:

Chojin Jan 19th, 2007 06:53 AM

I hated the original half-life specifically because of the platforming.

I liked Opposing Force, though ;< If only for the monkey wrench.

James Jan 19th, 2007 07:05 AM

asdfdasdfsa

Grislygus Jan 19th, 2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
And skip Thief 3, too. Shalebridge was downright unnerving.

I could not wait to get the hell out of there. Crazy ghost shenanigans and the only level where I had problems.

Did you find the room where the asylum traps you?

AChimp Jan 19th, 2007 09:43 AM

Half-Life is one of the easiest FPS games ever made. Nut up and finish that game properly, James.

BTW, if you shit your pants over some of the things in HL, don't play HL2.

EisigerBiskuit Jan 19th, 2007 09:57 AM

Playing that stuff on the hardest mode was, uh, hard. I'm pretty sure there's a part in a wide open area where it's impossible to get through without bunnyhopping. Also, the giant tentacle in the chamber scared the shit out of me. CLANG CLANG CLANG.

DuFresne Jan 19th, 2007 05:14 PM

I still play HL quite a bit, but I have for years, so I know where all the scary shit is scripted to be. After you get about halfway through the game, the scares do pretty much stop and the game becomes more about "OMG how the hell are you gonna get past something THIS damn huge," or "WTF SO MANY ENEMIES!!!111."

I think you'll agree with me that the first half of the game is a bit better crafted than the second after you've played the whole thing. Half-Life to me should be more about that "what's around the next corner" tension (ala old DOOM) rather than simple combat highs.

eggyolk Jan 19th, 2007 05:43 PM

i loved this game, im sure we all did. but...

ZEN >:

James Jan 19th, 2007 06:21 PM

asdfsdafsa

executioneer Jan 19th, 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EisigerBiskuit
Also, the giant tentacle in the chamber scared the shit out of me. CLANG CLANG CLANG.

oh christ, yes

they really, really did a good job of conveying the fact that it only sensed you by sound, too :(

Guitar Woman Jan 20th, 2007 08:29 AM

I reccomend that james stay the fuck away from opposing force. There is a monster in there that will actually start eating your corpse after you're dead, which I just found to be completely god damn fucked.

zeldasbiggestfan Jan 20th, 2007 08:36 AM

Kind of like you.

Man I jumped from playing Zelda today. I called myself a pussy and cried a little bit. But seriously that boss scared me :( I have no idea how I beat Resident Evil 4 without screaming my ass off.

Guitar Woman Jan 20th, 2007 09:02 AM

I used to get scared of Zelda too. When I was five :rolleyes