I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Analog and it's fate (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69702424)

Tadao Jun 11th, 2009 02:53 AM

Analog and it's fate

What a shame that analog can not seem to thrive in a digital world. The reason why I am paying 1k to see My Bloody Valentine in New Jersey is because they blew me the fuck away. They only play in analog and it really made the difference. If a digital set up played that loud, the crisp would have been choppy. Mix masters still rub vinyl, but that wont keep it afloat. We are gonna lose something organic about the way we hear music, watch films, and view photographs.

I'm all about pushing digital to it's limits, but I will always miss the warmth analog provides.

I wish everyone had a chance to listen to Sabbath's N.I.B. on wax.

Zhukov Jun 11th, 2009 06:00 AM

Yeah, I like listening to wax. Oh well, what are you going to do?

kahljorn Jun 12th, 2009 12:59 AM

me too i have lots of candles with intriguing opinions :)

Fathom Zero Jun 12th, 2009 02:31 AM

The only place where it really makes a difference is in sound. In practical terms, at least.

I mean, analog photos maintain a certain aesthetic and people will like it as they always did, but reallistically, it's not the best quality for the masses. Analog will be the king of audio for a long time, methinks, and no amount of bitrates can change that.

Evil Robot Jun 13th, 2009 05:02 PM

If you can tell the difference between digital and analog your either full of shit or your stereo is inferior. All sound must be amplified by an ANALOG device. Theres no such thing as an all digital amplifier, it just doesn't work that way. In fact, most consumer grade audio equipment is based on the same 20 pin microchip called the TDAxxxx (x would be the application number). If you open anyhting in your home I can guarantee you will find shitloads of this same basic chip.

Tadao Jun 13th, 2009 09:28 PM

The problem is that the source is digital.

Fathom Zero Jun 13th, 2009 10:00 PM

Yeah, it's all speakers, but the difference between a .mp3 and a 45 is definitely noticeable.

MetalMilitia Jun 14th, 2009 10:27 AM

I think it's worth drawing a distinction between different digital formats. MP3 is a compressed format designed for portability rather than quality. The way it works is, among other things, to cut off the high and low end of the spectrum which is why some people notice it lacking the range of analogue media. Other digital formats are loss-less which should mean they retain the full range of sounds present in the original (or at least those perceivable to the human ear).

Of course if you're talking about the source of the music - the recording equipment - then I have nothing constructive to add.

Evil Robot Jun 14th, 2009 08:59 PM

Do you prefer CDs or tapes bitch?

Tadao Jun 14th, 2009 09:05 PM

Actually, since I don't drive or leave the house. I prefer my old tapes and vinyl. But if I was ever on the move again, I would settle for this new dumbed down form of sound.

Evil Robot Jun 14th, 2009 11:05 PM

See deez nutz bitch!

Hangie Jun 27th, 2009 08:49 PM

I'm too young to know what vinyl sounds like but I'm intrigued. My dad has basicly half our basement full of records but doesnt let me go near them because he thinks I'll fuck them up. Like how my mom destroyed part of his 30-year old easyriders collection.

Tadao Jun 27th, 2009 08:51 PM

Ask him to play one for you.

Hangie Jun 27th, 2009 09:47 PM

ok

Evil Robot Jun 28th, 2009 01:16 PM

Tell him youve been listening to old school beastie boys and want to try reproducing thier sound.

Tadao Jun 28th, 2009 01:18 PM

:lol

Tadao Jun 28th, 2009 07:15 PM

Hangie: I belive you said your pop is an old skate punk, I'm sure he would be willing to play N.I.B. for you and might even let you drink your first beer.

Ant10708 Jun 29th, 2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 633494)
Actually, since I don't drive or leave the house. I prefer my old tapes and vinyl. But if I was ever on the move again, I would settle for this new dumbed down form of sound.

Why don't you drive or leave the house?

Fathom Zero Jun 29th, 2009 01:48 PM

He's dying an agonizing death. Or perhaps something worse than death, if I remember correctly.

Tadao Jun 29th, 2009 02:11 PM

Well, I don't drive because I don't actually have a need to and I owe 4000 dollars to get my license back as well, and I don't leave the house because this little town 2 hours above LA has nothing to do. I'll go to shows and amusement parks and sometimes the gun range, but I don't work so I really don't need a car.

Evil Robot Jun 29th, 2009 07:18 PM

You should fix all that before it's too late.

Tadao Jun 29th, 2009 07:27 PM

I'm still working of paying medical bills. I'll get to it eventually.

Evil Robot Jun 29th, 2009 08:37 PM

What are you, Hulk Hogans son?