I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tipping (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69703631)

MattJack Nov 21st, 2009 09:08 PM

Tipping

I read this article recently and I got a pretty good kick outta it. The restaurant took an infinite amount of bad PR over $13 somethin duckettes. Calling the police over $13 is one of the biggest bit*h moves to of happened so far in the new millennium.

This brings me to here. Whatch'yall think about tipping?

I tip 20% or so if the waitress is good/finer than hell at resturaunts. If the service is awful I'll tip 10% or so most of the time. I generally open tabs at bars because I have a hard time giving somebody a dollar everytime they crack open a beer for me, so to avoid this connundrum I just tip at the end of the night on my ticket. When I got cash I'll generally tip every other beer, but I tend to always tip for a mixed drink. The only place I really felt that I had to tip well on every drink was when I lived in Vegas and the barman would do a juggling act to pour me a bourbon on the rocks.

The only time I have never tipped at a bar was actually quite recently here in Austin. I went to a place downtown and the bartender was god awful. I stood at the bar for 15 minutes until she finally served me. She litterally cleared out her bar three times before I had to actually pull the, "Excuse me, miss."

I told her that I had been waiting patiently for the past quarter of an hour for a drink, and now all I want is my last beer as well as ticket. She got pissy with me and said, "If you're polite I will." I told her that I was being as polite as possible and then she stormed off to retrieve my sh*t. See, she was finer than hell(which is generally enough for me to tip you well as we discussed earlier), but a smug, self centered bitch too, which I felt cancelled out the finer than hell part. My tab was only about $25, so it wasn't like a crime against humanity or anything, but I felt like she didn't deserve a damn dime for such poor service.

Right or wrong?

My buddy from New Zealand didn't tip when he first got in the states. He thought it was the silliest thing and he's actually got himself into some awkward situations because of it. So if you aren't from the Greatest Country on Earth('Merica), how do you tip or what does your culture think of tipping?

We'll all grow closer with this thread.

Tadao Nov 21st, 2009 09:15 PM

I tip the ugly bitches higher. No one else does and they usually work harder for it.

MattJack Nov 21st, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 660078)
I tip the ugly bitches higher. No one else does and they usually work harder for it.

Yeah the ugly ones are always better servers. I think that's one of Newton's Laws. Something about relying on their job aptitude instead of looks kind of makes you want to give them a better tip. I hear ya.

Terra Nov 21st, 2009 09:19 PM

Jesus Matt. You didn't even give her the tip end of your doo dah?

She must have been THAT bad.

I'll always tip even when it is bad, but not that great. But if the service is THAT bad, I'll never go back again.

MattJack Nov 21st, 2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terra (Post 660080)
Jesus Matt. You didn't even give her the tip end of your doo dah?

She must have been THAT bad.

I'll always tip even when it is bad, but not that great. But if the service is THAT bad, I'll never go back again.

She would never let a guy like me do that :(

I have gone back since, but my friends and I refuse to go to her bar(multiple bars in the establishment).

Tadao Nov 21st, 2009 09:32 PM

I usually just double the tax as a tip for normal service. Tax here is like 7%, so a tip would be 14%. Or a five spot or 10, whatever is easiest.

kahljorn Nov 21st, 2009 09:33 PM

tax went up to like 9% in california dude :(

also fuck mandatory tipping. Its for the birds. :)

personally i think its hilarious to fuck people out of their tips if they are a worthless cunt. In fact after how guilty I feel for tipping worthless cuntfaces with my hard earned money, I pretty much decided not to tip cunt faces or I would beat myself up afterwards.

Tadao Nov 21st, 2009 09:34 PM

That's good news for servers then.

kahljorn Nov 21st, 2009 09:38 PM

oh yea and that story you read.. did you notice they actually tried to charge them extra? 18% of 73 dollars or whatever is like 14 dollars or something, not 16.

MattJack Nov 21st, 2009 09:44 PM

Yeah, the term mandatory gratuity makes my brain hurt a bit.

I've actually had a guy put a mandatory tip on my ticket and he acted as if he just rang me up for the meal. My ex girlfriend whom I was eating with had recently had lunch there with her co-workers, and she said he did the exact same thing with them. When I confronted him on it he acted as if it was a crazy accident and fixed it immediately. He had obviously been doing it to people for some time and was capitalizing on ignorant people not doing simple math.

I tipped him a generous dollar for such a weak hustle.

MattJack Nov 21st, 2009 09:46 PM

That extra two dollars goes to starving children in Africa. It was for the children. The children, Kahl.

kahljorn Nov 21st, 2009 10:08 PM

fuck :O

i pretty much cut off eating/drinking out except at a few places I actually like, because it seems like every time i go out I feel cheated or I get sick :O

ALSO THE MONEY I SAVE GOES STRAIGHT TO MY DRUG HABIT.

Nick Nov 21st, 2009 10:15 PM

My family really isn't so big on tipping, but usually when we eat a restaurant we give them a a couple of dollars no matter the bill. Being Alabama and all, we're more about eating home cookin'. Restaurants are only for super special occasions.

Sam Nov 21st, 2009 11:02 PM

I try not to tip as often as possible, and my friends end up doing it for me. :(

:CHEAPBASTARD

Zhukov Nov 22nd, 2009 10:55 AM

I pay in notes; they can keep the extra fifteen cents if it's there. Apart from that I never tip anything.

elx Nov 22nd, 2009 11:03 AM

i'm pretty sure we all already had this conversation and came to the conclusion that tipping needs to buzz off and stop infesting foreign countries.

Zhukov Nov 22nd, 2009 11:07 AM

Oh, I was getting deja vu but I figured that was just because I always complain about paying for things.

Sacks Nov 22nd, 2009 11:19 AM

I don't understand why the police were called if they offered to comp their meal. Call the police on people who insist on paying?

Geggy Nov 22nd, 2009 11:21 AM

The philadelphia couple did it wrong. They should have left a penny as a tip for bad service. Because a penny is more insulting than nothing at all.

Fathom Zero Nov 22nd, 2009 11:24 AM

I usually tip 33.3%. I eat out about five times a year. :\

RaNkeri Nov 22nd, 2009 12:50 PM

I don't tip

Evil Robot Nov 22nd, 2009 03:58 PM

The only reason tipping even exists is because business owners are greedy bastards and don't like compensating people for their work. With that said I have been in many "fancy" restaruant where the some philipino has to stand behind my chair and constantly reach over my shoulder and fuck with things. I find over-service more annoying than poor service.

Babs Nov 22nd, 2009 05:45 PM

Fuck tipping anyone unless they're attitude insinuates putting that money where their mouth is. They actually have the audacity to complain about the customer not tipping "right". Maybe the could avoid the whole situation and not be a shitty ass waiter relying on someone elses god damn pocket money.

Tadao Nov 22nd, 2009 06:10 PM

I take it most of you have never waited on tables. You guys can serve yourself at home or McDonalds.

Chojin Nov 22nd, 2009 06:21 PM

I waited tables for all of 2 weeks and gained tons of respect for waiters in the process ;<

You technically have to report your tips, but most people just report about 10% of their net bills instead. However, those are still taxed and deducted from your $2-3/hr paycheck.

The person training me once received a paycheck for negative 14 cents.