I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Consciousness (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9475)

theapportioner Feb 14th, 2004 10:09 PM

Consciousness

How would YOU describe it?

AChimp Feb 14th, 2004 11:35 PM

It's like warm apple pie. :yum

ScruU2wice Feb 14th, 2004 11:43 PM

Brandon Feb 14th, 2004 11:45 PM

I really don't see it as anything more than an awareness of internal and external stimuli or events. I think it's a mistake to even refer to it as if it were a unified whole, since it's just an abstraction.

Pee Wee Herman Feb 15th, 2004 05:18 PM

I would describe consciousness as self awereness. For example, I look around and I see where I am. I know that I am here. I know that this is my environment.

Who agrees?

Helm Feb 15th, 2004 09:35 PM

The self evident dialectic opposition between self and others.

ArrowX Feb 15th, 2004 09:41 PM

If there is no heaven/hell i consider self awareness a curse cuz then u fear death :(

Emu Feb 15th, 2004 09:46 PM

u sure do

MEATMAN Feb 15th, 2004 11:38 PM

I think of it as being able to ask myself why I am typing this naked.

The One and Only... Feb 16th, 2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helm
The self evident dialectic opposition between self and others.

You threw dialetic in there just for the hell of it, didn't you?

I prefer the necessarily true axiomatic opposition that upholds notions of the autonomous man.

mburbank Feb 17th, 2004 09:22 AM

You threw in "necessarily true axiomatic opposition that upholds notions of the autonomous man." just for the hell of it didn't you?

If you can't explain that sentence in simpler terms, I'll assume it's just more brine out your blowhole.

theapportioner Feb 17th, 2004 09:40 AM

Yeah c'mon, provide arguments, people!

Dole Feb 17th, 2004 09:45 AM

I shit therefore am.

The One and Only... Feb 17th, 2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburbank
You threw in "necessarily true axiomatic opposition that upholds notions of the autonomous man." just for the hell of it didn't you?

If you can't explain that sentence in simpler terms, I'll assume it's just more brine out your blowhole.

Consciousness implies the ability to perceive. Perceptions are necessarily real by definition.

Consciousness seperates the individual from the group, as we can only perceive our own perceptions.

Helm Feb 17th, 2004 10:47 PM

No I didn't. Any such basic duality is dialectic. If the self wasn't interactive with all else in it's context, then it would not be in said context. Dialectic opposition. What's so hard to understand about that?

Quote:

I prefer the necessarily true axiomatic opposition that upholds notions of the autonomous man.
Would you like some fries with that?

Seriously, what you said makes no sense. 'Upholds notions of the autonomous man'. ??

FartinMowler Feb 18th, 2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

I shit therefore am.

works for me :)

The One and Only... Feb 18th, 2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helm
No I didn't. Any such basic duality is dialectic. If the self wasn't interactive with all else in it's context, then it would not be in said context. Dialectic opposition. What's so hard to understand about that?

I didn't say that it didn't make sense. I said that you put the word in the sentence just for the hell of it.

Quote:

Seriously, what you said makes no sense. 'Upholds notions of the autonomous man'. ??
Consciousness allows man to think of himself as an individual, outside of the collective. What's so hard to understand about that?

Perndog Feb 18th, 2004 07:30 PM

Consciousness is overrated. I'd rather sleep.

mowler Feb 18th, 2004 08:46 PM

Your consciouse when your asleep right?

Perndog Feb 19th, 2004 02:30 AM

Uh...no. Tell me, what's the difference between sleeping and just resting?

jin Feb 19th, 2004 06:57 AM

Unreal. :o

Helm Feb 19th, 2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

I didn't say that it didn't make sense. I said that you put the word in the sentence just for the hell of it.
You know you're fucking annoying, right?

kellychaos Feb 23rd, 2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Consciousness allows man to think of himself as an individual, outside of the collective. What's so hard to understand about that?

If there were no "others" to be outside of, how would you be able to define yourself as an individual apart from them?