I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The METAL Thread (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12912)

AChimp Jul 25th, 2004 12:55 PM

The METAL Thread

:rock >:

Captain Goodtimes Jul 25th, 2004 03:33 PM

Mad Melvin Jul 25th, 2004 06:51 PM

bigtimecow Jul 25th, 2004 10:45 PM

so mad!

Dr. V Jul 26th, 2004 10:14 PM

What kinda snare drum should I get to play metal good?

executioneer Jul 27th, 2004 12:01 AM

a loud one!

Dr. V Jul 27th, 2004 02:25 AM

Yeah but what brand name?

Dixie Jul 27th, 2004 05:01 AM

you should get the ones my room mate is selling. i need my hall closet back dammit.

Dr. V Jul 27th, 2004 05:03 AM

what is it?

Dixie Jul 27th, 2004 05:14 AM

um it's actually a full set where you get 2 toms i believe. i have to ask him. and i don't feel like looking at him right now. i'll let you know in an hour.

Dixie Jul 27th, 2004 06:30 AM

they're ludwigs but he only wants to sell them in a full set

Dr. V Jul 27th, 2004 06:31 AM

yes, ive been hearing a lot of good things about ludwigs.

Dixie Jul 28th, 2004 08:04 AM

they're bluuuuue

Pyorrhea Jul 29th, 2004 02:36 AM

for a loud snare sound.... any type of piccolo snare will do. the reason for this is that the human ear hears middle frequencies well... and upper middle frequencies exepionally well, so it sounds loud. However you DO NOT want a snare drum that resonates at all or else it will take over the beat when you use it. i play drums too, and thats just my 10 cents.

Dole Jul 29th, 2004 03:18 AM

Having played the drums for nearly twenty years now, my advice would be: DRUM MAKE BANG GOOD. HIT!

iron mitchell Jul 29th, 2004 07:26 AM

re:

everyone uses piccolo snares... and everyone knows that only really unique metal bands stand out at all nowadays...
if you actually want your drums to sound unique, just get a shitty set and make some piezo mics for each drum. then you can run each drum through a different effect pedal or whatever you may have lying around. this will also help if your band is incredibly loud and you have trouble being heard over them sometimes.

AChimp Jul 29th, 2004 09:52 AM

:O

Dole Jul 29th, 2004 10:06 AM

Drums through sound effects=sound rubbish*

You can get kind of semi-piccolo snares (thats what I use - a custom yamaha one) that are quite thin but have more weight and a deeper sound than yer average piccolo. Great for hardcore where you want it to be really snappy and audible, but dont want it to sound like a toy drum.

*with the obvious exception of the opening bars of 'Do it again' by the beach boys.

iron mitchell Jul 29th, 2004 10:42 AM

re

sound-rubbish = awesome!

i don't play drums very often these days, but i used to really prefer the aforementioned kind of setup to my nice pearl drumset (which i'm finally selling!). i used this (http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html) as a guide to build my mics, and then i secured them by dipping them in rubber (so you don't break them when you accidentally hit them). then i put my bass drum and toms through a boss bass overdrive (yes, i was able to create feedback loops with my drums!) and the ol' danelectro chili dog octave pedal (dropped down LOOOOW) and my snare, cymbals, and cowbell(!) through a big muff...
and besides, everyone knows delay on drums = cumtastic!

liquidstatik Jul 29th, 2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyorrhea
for a loud snare sound.... any type of piccolo snare will do. the reason for this is that the human ear hears middle frequencies well... and upper middle frequencies exepionally well, so it sounds loud. However you DO NOT want a snare drum that resonates at all or else it will take over the beat when you use it. i play drums too, and thats just my 10 cents.

dfjldsjf'kasdhfk;lshf;hasdlhgadhgklaslgjskldhgashk dl

Dole Jul 29th, 2004 11:05 AM

I guess you are more of a noise merchant generally Mitchell. I am quite conservative in my drum sound tastes I guess.
I like my drums like I like my women - without effects pedals and delay over the top.

iron mitchell Jul 29th, 2004 11:11 AM

re:

yeah. though i've lately been really playing around a lot with quiet sounds and room acoustics. i have also fallen back in love with my didgeridoo.
but generally, i do prefer my drums like i prefer my women (and men)... raunchy, loud, and fuzzy...

bigtimecow Jul 29th, 2004 05:05 PM

get a popcorn snare. crazy shit.

Pyorrhea Jul 30th, 2004 01:50 AM

well... if the piccollo solution doesnt work... just get the lars ulrich sig snare and sound like youre from the 80s.

Dr. V Jul 30th, 2004 02:47 AM

Cool, that all helps a lot.