I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stand Up Comedians (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69699757)

T-Rex May 16th, 2008 10:55 AM

Stand Up Comedians

Do you like any comedians that people around you just don't get? My favourite comedian is by far Louis CK but everyone I know thinks he is just way too crude. He's shooting a movie with Ricky Gervais called "This Side Of The Truth". With two great comics like that, I'll be heart broke if it sucks.

My list of good comics:

Louis CK
Katt Williams
Demetri Martin
Ross Noble
Bruce Bruce
Tom Papa
Jamie Foxx
Jack Dee
Bernie Mac
Ricky Gervais
"Earthquake"
Lavelle Crawford
Daniel Tosh

I'd like to listen to new stuff though, any suggestions?

Edit: Update.

I-Mockery's List Of Comedians That Are Pretty Okay

Rowan Atkinson
Bobcat Goldthwait
Gilbert Godfrey
Emo Phillips
Lenny Bruce
Sean Cullen
Ricky Gervais
Patton Oswalt
Andy Daly
Paul F tompkims
Greg Geraldo
Eddie Izzard
Steven Wright
Carol Burnett
Bill Bailey
Jimmy Carr
Amazing J
Jon Reep
Larry the cable guy
Jeff Dunham
Neil Hamburger
John Leguizamo
Louis CK
Katt Williams
Demetri Martin
Ross Noble
Bruce Bruce
Tom Papa
Jamie Foxx
Jack Dee
Bernie Mac
Ricky Gervais
"Earthquake"
Lavelle Crawford
Daniel Tosh
Janine Garafalo
Doug Stanhope
Mel Silverback
Harland Williams
Larry Miller
Andy Andrist
Brett Erickson
Glenn Wool
Brendon Walsh
Tom Rhodes
Bonnie McFarlane
Sean Rouse
Maria Bamford

George Carlin
Sam Kinison
Bill Hicks
David Cross
Todd Barry
Jerry Seinfeld
Rodney Dangerfield
Mitch Hedberg
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Jim Norton
Richard Pryor

Kybo Ren May 16th, 2008 09:23 PM

Old Greats:
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
George Carlin

Newer Goods:
David Cross
Jim Norton (funny but really dirty)

Good Enough WHEN they're seen:
Dave Chappelle (could of been #1 ever, if he didn't go awol. please come back)
Dave Attell
Bob Saget (probally just nostalgia, the standup wasn't that good)

Pieces Of Shit for the unintelligent:
Carlos Mencia
Penis Leary
Dane Cook

All I can think of right now.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 16th, 2008 10:20 PM

You're forgetting Doug Stanhope in the POS category.

If you can find Dave Cha-p's half-hour standup it's worth watching.

Demetri Martin's Person is really good. "Really, all the colors in the rainbow? Pretty greedy"

darkvare May 16th, 2008 10:42 PM

i only know ricky gervais and thats thanks to gta iv

Pentegarn May 16th, 2008 11:23 PM

I recommend Mitch Hedberg.

WhiteRat May 17th, 2008 12:46 AM

Rodney Dangerfield is my favorite comedian. His schtick is nothing but one liners but god damn is his routine hilarious. Simple but effective.

Esuohlim May 17th, 2008 02:12 AM

I'm not into stand up as much as I used to be, but I still think George Carlin is #1! I also like Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, David Cross, Todd Barry, Jerry Seinfeld, and occasionally BIll Cosby.

And Doug Stanhope doesn't suck at all, faggot that's four posts above this. >:

sspadowsky May 17th, 2008 04:24 AM

10k Volt Ghost: may you suffer every conceivable misfortune this planet can visit upon you, and may you endure every plague in the bible 100 million times. Doug Stanhope is a genius, and if you don't get him, it's because there is something wrong with you.

Suffer. Forever and ever.

Also, other comics you should hear, in addition to Stanhope:

Andy Andrist
Brett Erickson
Glenn Wool
Brendon Walsh
Tom Rhodes
Bonnie McFarlane
Sean Rouse
Maria Bamford

Listen to them. Do it now.

NOW.

Mockery May 17th, 2008 05:38 AM

Two of my favorites are...

Larry Miller
- Easily the best story-telling stand-up comedian I've ever seen. Highly underrated. One of his specials still airs on HBO from time to time, so be sure to watch it if you get the chance. He also has a book out and if you get the audio book it's a real treat to hear him read it... just like you were at one of his shows.

Harland Williams - I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life as I did at both of his shows. To say he's 100% unique is an understatement, and he reeeeally knows how to fuck with audience members (especially ones who try to give him shit).

Phoenix Gamma May 17th, 2008 10:08 AM

Lewis Black and Demitri Martin are the only ones I actively follow.

Oh, and Jimmy Carr. Watching him tear audience members to shreds is hilarious, and his one-liners (which is all he really does) are all awesome. One special I saw was pretty much just 30 minutes of him spitting out random jokes in rapid succession, and the audience loved it.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 17th, 2008 02:17 PM

You can send me every curse from every religion in the world all you want. But in the end when I'm dying a slow death....it still won't make Doug Stanhope remotely funny. I get him, I just wish I could get him to somewhere remote where I won't have to hear him again. He's a sad, sad man.

Anyway Mel Silverback is really good too.

MetalMilitia May 17th, 2008 03:28 PM

Last stand-up I saw was Bill Bailey during his latest tour (Tinsel Worm). It was fantastic.

Kybo Ren May 17th, 2008 03:43 PM

Lewis Black is awesome- but I like his non-standup comedy better.(no not unaccompanied minors)
I feel terrible for forgetting Rodney Dangerfield. That man was greatness in everything he does/did
Doug Stanhope- the name is familiar, but I don't know what he's done
Bill Cosby was funny 20some years ago, His stuff dosn't stand up to time like Carlin's
My female roommate swears by Janine Garafalo, saw an impromptu show and got to meet her. She's funny and all, but I've got a penis.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 17th, 2008 04:22 PM

I actually like Janine Garafalo now. I didn't care much for her but I came to really appreciate her in wet Hot American Summer, then watched one of her standups. Good stuff.

John Leguizamo's "Freak" is my favorite though. It runs almost 2 hrs long but it's also auti-biographal stand-up

executioneer May 17th, 2008 05:15 PM

neil hamburger

sspadowsky May 17th, 2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 556333)
You can send me every curse from every religion in the world all you want. But in the end when I'm dying a slow death....it still won't make Doug Stanhope remotely funny. I get him, I just wish I could get him to somewhere remote where I won't have to hear him again. He's a sad, sad man.

Anyway Mel Silverback is really good too.

No hard feelings. Some people just won't like him. So we'll just have to agree to disagree about how wrong you are.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 17th, 2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspadowsky (Post 556365)
No hard feelings. Some people just won't like him. So we'll just have to agree to disagree about how wrong you are.

I was conceding victory until I read the last three words. Got me good.

I just think he ran the Man show into the ground. Everytime I've seen him he just seems like a drunk with a mic. I do like Artie Lange though. My validity seems to be shot in the foot.

Mockery May 18th, 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 556337)
John Leguizamo's "Freak" is my favorite though. It runs almost 2 hrs long but it's also auti-biographal stand-up

Is that the one where he talks about the lady who unraveled her vagina, grabbed the flaps and then flew off into the night? If so, then yeah... that was a pretty crazy show...

sspadowsky May 18th, 2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost (Post 556387)
I was conceding victory until I read the last three words. Got me good.

I just think he ran the Man show into the ground. Everytime I've seen him he just seems like a drunk with a mic. I do like Artie Lange though. My validity seems to be shot in the foot.

Doug will be the first to admit that the Man Show sucked. They had some great material, but the censors and producers fucked with everything so much that, as he said, "we were lucky if we ended up with the same premise, let alone the same bit." Besides that, Stanhope and Rogan's material is way too dark for that show, and they both had nothing but contempt for the retarded frat-boys that made up so much of the show's audience.

And he is a drunk with a mic, and he'd be the first to admit that, too. But if you listen to some of the social issues he mocks, he's spot-on, and funny as hell while he's doing it. Check out "No Refunds," if you get the chance.

All those guys I listed above are similar in terms of how far they push the envelope, and how creative they are with the angles they choose. And they're all human train wrecks, too. That's the best part about them. None of it is a schtick. Every night, there's a good chance things may derail, and it's always more fun that way.

Angryhydralisk May 18th, 2008 01:29 AM

I can't help but say Jeff Dunham is not only funny, but also fascinating and disturbingly talented at throwing his voice back and forth at the speed he does it.

And for some reason I enjoy asian comedians and hick comedians...though to be realistic Henry Cho was probably funnier on designing women than on his stand-up.

ElPila666 May 18th, 2008 02:45 AM

Larry the cable guy is my favourite redneck comedian, as about female comidians i go for MadTV ladies like Alex Borstein, oh man i can't wait to she realease Ms Swan The Movie, and then a sequel, Ms Swan Meets Mr Bean, most of MadTV girl crew makes me laugh there are some hot bitches too i don't know all their names, well even the Hope Is Emo chick makes me horny once in a while, Crista right? oh if you read this i want to say that a love you baby.

King Hadas May 18th, 2008 04:48 AM

I really enjoyed Jon Reep's comedy central presents.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 18th, 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockery (Post 556402)
Is that the one where he talks about the lady who unraveled her vagina, grabbed the flaps and then flew off into the night? If so, then yeah... that was a pretty crazy show...

That's the one. Then he goes on a rant in spanish explaining it to his dad, the only word I understood though was Mothra.

Stanley, I'll give Stanhope another chance when he's on.

Schimid May 18th, 2008 05:07 PM

The Amazing Johnathan has always been one of my favorites, I'm really surprised by his relative obscurity :O

executioneer May 18th, 2008 05:09 PM

<3 amazing jonathan