I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sports & Health (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2011 NCAA Football Thread (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69706177)

Pentegarn Mar 9th, 2011 07:28 AM

2011 NCAA Football Thread
 
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co....html?r=sports

Apparently, Tressel knew about the tatoo thing since April.

His defense as I read it elsewhere was he was informed of this at the time by a lawyer via letter and thought is was supposed to be part of a later deposition so he kept quiet.

All that being said, he did get a sizable fine and a 2 game suspension. The writer of the previous article is whining though saying he should be fired and that other coaches would have been.

How often do coaches get fired though over things like this? Not very, and there are violations all the time. They didn't fire Dick Rod from MU for his practice violations. (he had to suck for multiple seasons to get fired) I can't help but notice Gene Chizik is still employed after the Cam Newton thing. To say other coaches would be fired is an absurd anti OSU agenda driven statement. And where was this 'journalist' when Pete Caroll ran like a coward to the NFL mere days before the NCAA dropped the hammer on USC? I don't recall seeing any take from Dick Weiss, or anyone else in the sports media for that matter, on what was clearly a coach fleeing from what he caused. At least Tressel stayed and faced the NCAA, he didn't suddenly take a job at San Fransisco.

Babs Mar 10th, 2011 02:42 AM

This saddens me

WhiteRat Mar 10th, 2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 714740)
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co....html?r=sports

Apparently, Tressel knew about the tatoo thing since April.

His defense as I read it elsewhere was he was informed of this at the time by a lawyer via letter and thought is was supposed to be part of a later deposition so he kept quiet.

All that being said, he did get a sizable fine and a 2 game suspension. The writer of the previous article is whining though saying he should be fired and that other coaches would have been.

How often do coaches get fired though over things like this? Not very, and there are violations all the time. They didn't fire Dick Rod from MU for his practice violations. (he had to suck for multiple seasons to get fired) I can't help but notice Gene Chizik is still employed after the Cam Newton thing. To say other coaches would be fired is an absurd anti OSU agenda driven statement. And where was this 'journalist' when Pete Caroll ran like a coward to the NFL mere days before the NCAA dropped the hammer on USC? I don't recall seeing any take from Dick Weiss, or anyone else in the sports media for that matter, on what was clearly a coach fleeing from what he caused. At least Tressel stayed and faced the NCAA, he didn't suddenly take a job at San Fransisco.

It was explicitly noted, hell it was even underlined, in Tressell's contract that he must notify his superiors if any wrongdoing has been committed, blah blah, etc. He broke the terms of his contract with his employer and that is cause for termination.

As for as Chizik is concerned, he did nothing wrong. The issue with Newton and his pimp father regarded his recruitment by Mississippi State, not Auburn. Auburn's house of cards will come tumbling down in due time (for other nefarious reasons) but as far as we know Chizik's hands were clean of the Newton mess.

Carroll's situation can't be used as precedent here either as his issues were all speculation. In all likelihood he probably knew about the Bush fiasco but the only evidence they had that implicated anyone on the USC staff was some dirt onthe RB coach I believe (who was fired after). I could be wrong on specifics but i'm pretty sure it went down this way.

Tressell's case is much different because we have actual emails that prove his wrongdoing. Add that to the contract terms I mentioned prior and you have actual evidence that implicates him, not mere speculation.

For what it's worth, i've generally rooted for OSU football as I HATE Michigan and they are the only B10 team that consistently competes in the Top 10 but the sweater vest was busted red handed this time. The NCAA does not take kindly to being lied to and I hope they come down even harder on Tressell for it.

Tressell is no different than many other dirty coaches and his actions have proved that, not an anti-osu bias.

Pentegarn Mar 10th, 2011 10:35 PM

Put it another way, had this been an SEC coach it would have been a no story, plain and simple

WhiteRat Mar 10th, 2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 714862)
Put it another way, had this been an SEC coach it would have been a no story, plain and simple

That's true to an extent. Most if not all college programs have some sort of dirt built up but corruption and cheating in the SEC is not only known, it's kind of expected at this point. I'm not saying that the NCAA looks the other way (just ask Bama about that) it's just that the average fan and the sports media knows the type of games that the SEC plays. Tressell on the other hand, has built himself up as some sort of some great do gooder (his book is a joke now) that wins the right way and runs a clean ship. Obviously when smoke pours from OSU everyone wants to come watch. That's a product of Tressell's doing in the end, not the medias or any sort of anti-OSU bias.

Pentegarn Mar 11th, 2011 12:40 PM

Sounds like your endorsing media inconsistency

Personally I prefer to call media inconsistency out. They will continue to report in this cherry pick style that shelters the semi pro league known as the SEC as long as everyone lets them get away with it.

But it isn't just the media, the NCAA gets their panties in a wad because student athletes sell some stuff to a tatoo parlor, yet when Cam Newton gets paid to play (and don't kid yourself there, he was paid to play no matter how the SEC and his father choose to spin it) the NCAA says it is no problem at all, we have no plans to pursue this. Which pretty much put the NCAA stamp of approval on the SEC paying athletes through precedent. Had Prior and co played for LSU, Florida, et all, the NCAA would have 'no plans to pursue this' too. But the Big 10 is not as glamorous so they don't get to have as many perks. If the NCAA wants to enforce the purity of collegiate athletics, perhaps they should lead by example. Failing that, they should go the rest of the way, declare themselves a true business and start following the laws other businesses have to. Like being a monopoly, paying taxes, and all the other stuff they seem to get away with in the current fucked up system they have somehow managed to grow.

WhiteRat Mar 11th, 2011 04:01 PM

The media is biased, that's nothing new. But, that doesn't change the fact that Jim Tressell is a dirty coach. The emails and his lies have proved that much. That is the important issue at hand here.

Show me the hard evidence that Gene Chizik and his staff paid Cam Newton or his father for Newton play at Auburn. You can't, you're pulling crap out of the air to try prove a point.

If you want to go that way I can also say that OSU got off easy. 2 game suspension and 8% salary reduction for lying to your bosses, blatantly violating the terms of your contract, and attempting to sweep up major violations under the rug? I can sit here as a fan of a football program that has been mediocre to awful for the last 40 years and say that had this happen to Minnesota, there would much more hell to pay. It's funny to hear OSU fans and their "us against the world" outlook when it seems that everyone outside of Columbus feels the opposite. Explain to me how suspending 5 players for the NEXT season but allowing them to play in a BCS bowl game isn't complete bullshit? Oh I now, it's because Tressell was so desperate for that illusive SEC win that he was willing to throw integrity and his own self-built image out the window by letting those guys play. I guess I really can't blame him though as OSU gets demolished had the players been suspended. It's a load cf crap and the NCAA is once again turning a blind eye to one of the big dogs.

You can bitch and moan all you want about Cam Newton and the SEC and how everyone is trying to gang up on OSU but it doesn't change the fact that JIM TRESSELL IS A HYPOCRITE AND A DIRTY COACH. He's had a trail of suspicion going back to his YSU days. If you want anyone to complain about in this whole situation it's your dirty coach who tried to cover-up major ncaa violations.

WhiteRat Mar 11th, 2011 05:57 PM

Speaking of Auburn, 4 players were booted off the team today for being naughty naughty boys:

Quote:

Starting safety Mike McNeil and reserve wide recievers Shaun Kitchens and Antonio Goodwin and tight end Dakota Mosley have been detained.

According to police, a gun was recovered when the foursome was stopped.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...rmed-robbery/1

Pentegarn Mar 12th, 2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 714911)
Explain to me how suspending 5 players for the NEXT season but allowing them to play in a BCS bowl game isn't complete bullshit? Oh I now, it's because Tressell was so desperate for that illusive SEC win that he was willing to throw integrity and his own self-built image out the window by letting those guys play. I guess I really can't blame him though as OSU gets demolished had the players been suspended. It's a load cf crap and the NCAA is once again turning a blind eye to one of the big dogs.

Convenient that you forget those in charge of the BCS had more to do with that decision than anyone else and they insisted that those 5 OSU players be allowed to play because it would hurt network ratings if they were removed from the bowl game.

Follow the money, you'll see what really goes on and how the NCAA is really ran. You see a dirty coach, I see a pragmatic man who decided that if the SEC can get away with it in the open, then why should he not try to get some stuff over on the sly to level the field. The reason the SEC's actions are constantly swept under the rug is they make the NCAA a load of cash.

Follow the money and you see why Gee didn't bother with a larger punishment against Tressel. This is why if the NCAA drops the hammer on OSU they are being hypocrites and favoring the SEC. They created this mess when they got in bed with the BCS and now they have to balance the spinning plates they created.

And as for the pulling stuff out of thin air, Auburn knew about Cam Newton's past, and if they did not they are very bad at research. Yet they pushed their chips to the table and kept him playing anyway. The reason? Because there was a ton of money to be made and a national championship to be won. Follow the money.

You say Tressel is dirty but he's not unique, for example Pete Carrol fled to the NFL when he saw the writing on the wall. Speaking of fleeing what is Urban Meyer fleeing from? Because I don't for a second buy his reason for his abrupt departure. If I can see that sitting here, you bet the NCAA can too. But you can also bet there's more than a good chance they will not be pursuing it further (just like with Auburn). Not if you follow the money.

MailCall Mar 13th, 2011 09:13 PM

2011 NCAA Bracket Nonsense
 
The link doesn't work for me. It is an error message saying I am not a member. I've been away a long time, but I am now back but on parole.

Pentegarn Mar 13th, 2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailCall (Post 715035)
The link doesn't work for me. It is an error message saying I am not a member. I've been away a long time, but I am now back but on parole.

Wrong thread bro bro

MailCall Mar 13th, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715036)
Wrong thread bro bro

Huh? Is this the Senior Open Challenge thread?

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 714939)
Convenient that you forget those in charge of the BCS had more to do with that decision than anyone else and they insisted that those 5 OSU players be allowed to play because it would hurt network ratings if they were removed from the bowl game.

Follow the money, you'll see what really goes on and how the NCAA is really ran. You see a dirty coach, I see a pragmatic man who decided that if the SEC can get away with it in the open, then why should he not try to get some stuff over on the sly to level the field. The reason the SEC's actions are constantly swept under the rug is they make the NCAA a load of cash.

Follow the money and you see why Gee didn't bother with a larger punishment against Tressel. This is why if the NCAA drops the hammer on OSU they are being hypocrites and favoring the SEC. They created this mess when they got in bed with the BCS and now they have to balance the spinning plates they created.

And as for the pulling stuff out of thin air, Auburn knew about Cam Newton's past, and if they did not they are very bad at research. Yet they pushed their chips to the table and kept him playing anyway. The reason? Because there was a ton of money to be made and a national championship to be won. Follow the money.

You say Tressel is dirty but he's not unique, for example Pete Carrol fled to the NFL when he saw the writing on the wall. Speaking of fleeing what is Urban Meyer fleeing from? Because I don't for a second buy his reason for his abrupt departure. If I can see that sitting here, you bet the NCAA can too. But you can also bet there's more than a good chance they will not be pursuing it further (just like with Auburn). Not if you follow the money.

You can stop ranting about the NCAA. I'm not dumb, i'm a rabid college football fan that is well aware of how the NCAA and college football works.

You can put as much lipstick on the pig as you want, but Tressell is a hypocrite and a dirty coach. He's now joined the ranks with the rest of the crooked SEC coaches that Buckeye fans so gloriously championed him to be above. Just take off the blinders and read this article, which I feel is the best opinion on the issue:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...siextra_030911

MailCall Mar 14th, 2011 08:25 PM

Tressell...Antichrist?
 
I agree that Tressell holds the same regard as other coaches with similar transgressions. But see this: Ohio State is and continues to be under the fingernail scrutiny of every media outlet--especially ESPN--in the country. And to think that SEC prejudice in football doesn't exist is blindness. I believe that OSU endeavors to protect JT with the same vigor that it endears Griffin's two Heismans. The OSU sports program as a whole has suffered its share of deserved or otherwise hammering in the past, and as the AD and boosters see in the media, whatever measures that can lead to a lessening of impact would be welcomed. This would be true at any school. So, yes, Tressell has his skeletons hidden behind his scarlet vest and occasional thin glasses. But don't be so quick in including him in what is already a crowded pool.

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:12 PM

He's a Gopher fan, this is his revenge wet dream for the constant and repeated pounding OSU gives them over the decades. :lol

When you school's best accomplishment is loaning your stadium to the Vikings for a week Schadenfreude is really all you have :lol

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715111)
He's a Gopher fan, this is his revenge wet dream for the constant and repeated pounding OSU gives them over the decades. :lol

When you school's best accomplishment is loaning your stadium to the Vikings for a week Schadenfreude is really all you have :lol

So now you're resorting to making this personal for some reason? Dude, chill out and relax. Just because someone has a dissenting opinion that doesn't mean you have to make it personal to try to somehow discredit it. And for the record, like I mentioned in my first post, i've generally rooted for Ohio State as they are the only team in the Big 10 as of late that is consistently a national title contender. There is no ill will there, but keep pretending that everyone is out to get Ohio State. I don't want to see OSU fall as that would make it easier for Wisconsin to take the top spit in their division. But I want to see Tressell get punished for lying to his bosses and the NCAA.

For what it's worth, there are only 2 other school in the Big Ten that have more national championships than Minnesota.

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:33 PM

Personal? They were jokes. You saw the :lol s didn't you? This is still i-mockery isn't it?

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:34 PM

Also if you don't think a 250k fine isn't a big punishment, is it ok if I borrow 250k from you? :lol

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715114)
Personal? They were jokes. You saw the :lol s didn't you? This is still i-mockery isn't it?

oops I forgot about that!

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715115)
Also if you don't think a 250k fine isn't a big punishment, is it ok if I borrow 250k from you? :lol

Of course you can't. I don't have 250k. But 250k is 8% of Jim Tessell's salary, so you might want to ask him.

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 715116)
oops I forgot about that!

It's easy to forget that in here, we don't usually get the chance to talk smack at each other cause it is usually a Big 10 love in going on :lol

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:39 PM

Also, when do we have to start calling the Big 10 the Big 12?

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715118)
It's easy to forget that in here, we don't usually get the chance to talk smack at each other cause it is usually a Big 10 love in going on :lol

See that's the problem as the only schools that really get talked about here are OSU, Mich St and Minn, two schools which I don't hate. We need a Badger fan or even an Indiana fan so that Minn won't be the worst team around here.

Pentegarn Mar 14th, 2011 09:45 PM

Badgers do OK though, they seem to have OSU's number...

come to think of it, we don't need a Sconnie fan in here pissing further in my cornflakes :lol

WhiteRat Mar 14th, 2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 715121)
Badgers do OK though, they seem to have OSU's number...

come to think of it, we don't need a Sconnie fan in here pissing further in my cornflakes :lol

I want a rival here to talk shit to.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.