View Single Post
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 12:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxpower
So I want someone to explain to me..
What IS the ring for anyways? One of my friends says its so Sauron can get back into his body ( the body being that of the Nasghul Leader). Is that right?
But I never got WHY he made the ring in the first place. And how it can increase his power somehow. But he doesn't make another. Or dies without it.
I didn't get that fully.
I've never read the Silmarillion, nor do I particularly want to, as long chronicles of history and who begat who do not interest me. I want the meat and potatos, someone else can pour over all the insignificant details.

However, I've talked to friends who have read nearly EVERYTHING so this is partial speculation on my part and partial remembering what they've told me.

Initially Sauron created the ring to have dominion over all the other rings he created, so that he could basically enslave the other races to his will. But he's been around for eons now, and I figure that the only thing tying him to the world is the One Ring that he stored a good portion of his power in long long ago. He is weak without it because he cannot tap into that stored power, and when it gets destroyed, he's fucked, because there's nothing to anchor him to the world anymore. As when Bilbo gave up the ring, all those years caught up with him, I believe that when the ring was destroyed, all those ages caught up with Sauron and he no longer had anything keeping him around past his expiration date.

If memory serves, the Nazgul leader was a powerful king of men from up in the North from a place called Angmar. He's a totally different dude from Sauron, so no, Sauron would not take over his body. I don't recall the books ever making any mention of Sauron taking a physical form, except for the reference to Gandalf fighting the Necromancer (which was during The Hobbit, I think?).

Hopefully that will help, and I'm sure Willie or Carnivore will come in and correct me where I was wrong or talking completely out of my ass.