View Single Post

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:47 PM        Yes, and yes....
I agree actually that the U.S. does make considerable efforts to avoid unnecessary damage, in spite what it may seem to some of you. Given the nature and sophisticaion of our weapons systems, they could easily wreak heaps more havoc than they do.

So on that point, I do agree with Max that to some degree that's not much to be proud of. But it depends on your point of view. From a non-military standpoint, it's true that perhaps there isn't much honor in saying our bombs are "nicer" than most peoples bombs. But from a soldiers standpoint, there is some honor in the fact that FOR THE MOST PART, every attempt is made to keep from abusing the lethality of those weapons.

It's probably a seperate issue entirely but I suppose we could have a discussion as to WHY military tactics employed by the U.S. these days is what it is. In my opinion, since Vietnam, military tactics are dictated far less by strategy than by politics.

The Allied Force air campaign was a perfect example. Since Vietnam, we've been deathly afraid of military casualties. Politicians and military leaders alike learned that the American public would not long stand for protracted campaigns that cost lots of American lives. Every war we've fought since has been planned around a minimal risk strategy.

In Bosnia, we were flying at 30,000 feet to avoid the extensive air defense network to protect our fliers. However, flying at such heights made accurate and effective bombing of individual targets like tanks, tracked vehicles, etc virtually impossible. Particularly when they were well placed by Milosovic.

In my opinion, the "shock and awe" strategy is another direct reflection of the attitude. The administration knows that public opinion will not support war for long. Therefore, war must be fought quickly, decisively, and in such a way that ensures minimal risk for U.S. forces.

In their mind, the public would much rather see 500 cruise missiles an hour fired at a long, far away country, than see their friends, neighbors, and co-workers come home in body bags.

Unfortunately war is ugly business and sometimes you just can't have it all. You can't effectively fight a risky battle, and do it right (ie. not indiscriminate bombing)without placing your own forces at risk.

But I dunno, that's just me.

EDIT: Stupid spelling. Grammar sucks.