View Single Post

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:46 AM       
My sister went through a period that she tried to be a vegetarian. She never bothered anyone else about it (though there is still a "meat is murder" sticker on her closet in the parental home, but it's not like she stuck them on someone else's property). She couldn't stick to it, maybe partially because it was in a period when my dad was trying against his nature to do all the cooking, and he just didn't give her enough alternatives to meat, and now I'm pretty sure she's back on meat, though I think she's still not a big meat-eater.

Point is, even though she never said more about it to other people other than "I'm a vegetarian", she's taken ridiculous amounts of shit from people for it. It's like just saying it pisses people off. People always have to either question it, treat it like some moronic superstition, or most of all: try to push the person into admitting that they're not a perfect vegetarian (or vegan). It's like they're just looking for that one person who'll actually lecture them about meat, even though they may have never met one.

It reminds me of how people immediately get hostile in the presence of a Christian or someone otherwise religious.