View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:55 PM       
"Really you have little right to criticize my simply yacking on about econ 101"

Sure I do. Or maybe I don't, but I will anyway, so lump it.

"I find it really wierd that you can actually argue that business would hire more people if their already going by minimum wage just because they have to."

I can only assume you're talking to someone else here, since I never said anything of the sort. And since you asked, nope, never worked a minimum wage job. My entry level job was seven dollars an hour many yaers ago, and on that it was very difficult to choose between rent and food and I wasn't supporting anyone. Hence, my compassion for those who work for less.

Business will always try to squeeze maximal work out of it employees. The local McDonalds, Subway, Dunkin Donuts are not (at least where I work) known for efficiency through large numbers of staff. I don't think anyone out there is hiring more people than they need to get the job done right now just as a method of improving customer service. Hence I'm not worrie about a huge drop in employment if tey had to pay more, just a drop in their overall profits, which are distributed up in shocking disproportion.

It all depends on what a society wants. Will they work creativly to give a dignified life to anyone willing to work for it, or do they value more the possibility of obscence wealth?

And stop using the word 'They' so often. Left undefined so often it makes you sound paranoid.

Hey, here's thought? How about a maximum wage?