View Single Post
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM       
"There is no reason we couldn't set up a system where immigrants could be thoroughly vetted within about 60 days upon entry into this country."

What does vetted mean? Also, I think the reason it takes so long is because, first off, there's probably tons of people trying to immigrate and there's a line(there actually is a line, and a list that shows where you are in the line to gain a visa). Also, they are doing criminal/background checks and those sometimes take a while, especially, I'm assuming, if it's from another country and there's a huge line of people. The wait is a bit ridiculous, though.

"If we want to get all uptight about it, put one of those tracking anklets on em, like they use for people under house arest, or maybe even stick em in one of our closed down military bases so we can run them through a citizenship boot camp. "

I like both of those ideas, and with your suggestion of "Vetting" them maybe we could put one of those animal tracking devices on them when we get their immunizations done.

"we have a bad tendancy toward persecuting anyone we can whenever we can gin up an appropriate seeming excuse to do so. OUR rights are God-given,"

Persecuting and trying to protect our "god-given rights" while maintaining our current life-style are two completely different things. However, I do agree that many people are probably harboring irrational feelings on this subject.

Simply changing the immigration policy isn't so simple. There's many factors to consider, including the ramifications a few million new people will add to the stress of the country, economically and culturally. I'd be interested in hearing what types of effects propsed solutions would have, if people even think like that.