Thread: Atheism
View Single Post
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Retro Kat
Having a beleif system gives no freedom and gives you certain restraints. Although, I'll give it to the writers of the bible, they did create the greatest fiction novel of all time. http://www.eclipse.co.uk/thoughts/index.htm
While I still think Vince is an ass for automatically attacking everyone he disagrees with by telling them they're idiots in sentences that don't make any sense read forwards nor backwards, I have to say I agree to some of the non-hostile parts of his post.

Christianity does offer free will. While there are some loopholes and unclear action-reaction structures out there (Judas betrays Jesus because Jesus accuses him of being a backstabber because Jesus knows that Judas will betray him because he accuses him...), free will is very central to the faith.

In atheism, hovewer, one must look at the world from a purely scientific point of view, and every atom and every man's actions and directions must be observed as the only potential and logical physical/chemical outcome of any situation in question. One must acknowledge the universe as a closed space in which every movement and reaction is predecided, and if one could observe chaos from a distance, one could see the pattern and predict every single action from the beginning of time to the end.

This is of course debatable, but MY definition of atheism rules out free will.