View Single Post
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:07 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
King of what? Unreal Tournament only pushed 32,000 copies in its first week, and Crysis didn't do much better.
Yeah, but Crysis sold 0 copes on consoles and UT only sold marginally better on PS3 despite being one of only about 10 games available for the system. Those aren't really good examples though because UT3 is basically the same game PC gamers have had 3 times already (99, 2k3, 2k4) and Crysis has limited itself to the hardcore market by having retarded system requirements.
I say PC gaming is king because if you pick a genre (excluding stupid party games, sports or fighting games) PC is likely to provide the defining experience, the only caveat being that you need to constantly upgrade to keep on top of the latest games' requirements. A lot of people consider this a major fault with the platform but I consider it to be one of its biggest strengths. I heard somewhere that the PS3's expected life-cycle is last around 8 years. In one year I can guarantee PC gaming technology will completely eclipse anything the PS3 could hope to achieve.

I'm not saying consoles are worthless. They're fine at what they do but PC gaming will always be on another level to the slow moving console market.

Before you say that I'm just talking about technology, which I'm sure we can all agree does not unnecessarily make a great game I will direct your attention to the other thing which sets PC gaming apart from consoles; community driven content. For the £25 I paid for HL several years ago I've probably gotten hundreds of hours of gaming goodness at no extra cost thanks to the community's excess of time, ideas and modding sillz. Having seen the Crysis SDK in action I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing good quality mods and maps almost immediately.

PC gaming has it's problems but as far as "gaming", not "casual gaming" or "party gaming" is concerned it's as good as it gets.