View Single Post
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
Sometimes, I also talk to people via instant messaging.

Seth: I haven't seen The Ring, but I get the general idea: people see weird video and get a warning that they will die soon, prophesy comes true
Seth: the thing is, that movie was released just early enough
Seth: that they didn't have to have a character put it on YouTube and thus turn it into a Doomsday scenario movie
http://www.xkcd.com/396/
Quote:
Okay. Go up and look at those pictures. Take the white macro text and pretend that it's written in normal, orthographic spelling and follows normal punctuation and capitalization standards.

When I did that, it was funny to me because I have the frame of context that held it against the established lolcats norms. That is, I derive humor from seeing normal text where my mind has been conditioned to see facetious attacks on the English language. Now, WITHOUT that a priori, it wouldn't be funny at all. We know this because within the history of photography, there is a long chapter that spans over a century involving pictures of cats being captioned by a wide spread of personality types including grandmothers, volunteer Girl Scout leaders, and marketing strategists for companies in the motivational poster industry.

I will be quick to note that the only historically significant instance when this was ever funny involves a lithographic illustration for a children's song popular in the 1890s*. Even in this case, the humor derives from an anachronistic association with the precise verbiage employed and not comic mastery. The English language had to evolve for at least fifty years to sufficiently associate the word "pussy" with the female pudendum and thus provide sufficient unintended irony.

- Summer Glau
I had ZBF convinced I was Randall Munroe for almost two years.
Quote:
Has anyone made a macro of W.C. Fields with the text, "SERIOUS HOBO PROBLEMS...? :-("?

Or perhaps something similar with one of the antiquated images of our prodigal daughter Renee buried deep in the PYPH thread (Pub, some help?)?
While hunting for pictures of Jamesman the other day, I considered what remains of my Renee folder for such activities, but discovered the opinion that I didn't hate the world sufficiently at that point to follow through.