View Single Post
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
Guys, how come the intro movies to Silent Hill games always make them look about 10 times more awesome than they actually are?

Example:
Silent Hill 1 intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eds1ivwq1oc

This leads us to believe that the game will be a MEANINGFUL, TEARY EYED EMOTIONAL EXTRAVAGANZA with lots of good music and some horrifying gameplay segments linking us from cutscene to cutscene. The only time the game actually is like this is the cutscene where Lisa Garland "dies." (ok, spoilers, fuck you, if you haven't played the game or seen the movie yet you're slower than I am)

Also, some of those cutscenes aren't even in the game. What?

Anyway, what you spend most of the game doing is this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWTGrz3XT4

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad game; Alchemilla General scared me so badly that I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to go into an actual hospital ever again, but why the misleading videos?

Why do you guys love getting my hopes up for an incredibly cinematic experience and then TRASHING them? :<

Hopefully one of our resident Silent Hill faggots will provide me with an answer to this mystery. I seriously feel like I'm playing joke versions of these games; that's really the only explanation other than "everyone who likes it is retarded" that I can think of.

Also, unfortunately since Silent Hill 2 saw being scary as something only a dirty conformist survival horror game would do, it lacked anything remotely like it and was just a big, foggy, badly acted keyhunt. This led me to dismiss it as shit.

Oh, did I mention the acting in these games is HORRIBLE? It is.

This also sort of called me to question why I enjoy Resident Evil without complaint, since it's pretty much the exact same thing with a camera I can predict and less fucking fog everywhere; keyhunting, simplistic puzzle solving, RETARDED acting and dialogue writing, tank controls and a difficult to use but never game breaking combat system, and the every so often pissypants moment. I answer myself: because I'm EXPECTING this sort of shit and have braced myself for it. Resident Evil was never tauted as an incredible cinematic masterpiece or "bastion of perfected psychological horror" by its fanboys; It's often described as playing your own B zombie movie. There are probably other reaons I like Resident Evil, like how it just feels a lot more CLASSIC than Silent Hill; you, your gun, a bunch of zombies and locked doors, and some giant sharks and sentient plants thrown in for good measure.

But the biggest reason, for me, is Silent Hill's ridiculous let down factor. Serious, I can't think of any game that's put on this high of a pedestal for things that have all been done before and better, and then hawked as something absurdly different than it actually is.

Now, I usually don't call Silent Hill out on this sort of stuff because I know the LOL YOU JUST DON'T GET IT, DUMBASS card is going to be inevitably pulled, but you know what? Fuck you, and your wannabe Shining.

What the fuck, guys, seriously?

Did you play these games when they came out???

To get a point across that's like me saying "Hey guys, I can't believe it's the year 2018 already. I played this game that came out back in 2008 called Mario Strikers. It's so terrible, it's nothing compared to all these new games that are out now which is what I'm basing it against. Huh, yeah. I know it's a different genre from what I normally play and it came out a decade ago."

That's basically what I just heard.

Hell, when Silent Hill 1 came out I wouldn't play it by myself, it at least took 2 other people.

In regards to the intros to the games it was cutting edge at the time.