View Single Post
The Mighty One
FistfulOAwesome is probably a spambot
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM       
Garou: Mark of the Wolves is quickly becoming a favorite of me and my brother's. The characters are all extremely well designed (i.e. they look like fighters (most of them, anyway) and are fun to play), the system works very well (sort-of like SF but with 4 buttons rather than 6), and the entire presentation is gorgeous. It almost feels like blasphemy to say that it might actually be better than SFIII (which currently holds my position for best fighter, but maybe not for much longer).

I just finished playing NSMB again. Sadly, my feelings haven't changed. It's still a disappointment for a Mario game. 16 years we wait, and all we get is a passable platformer. Mario shouldn't be passable, or adequate. He should be Glorious. I really hope Nintendo steps it up to their A game for NSMBW, because I honestly felt that the 2D sections of Galaxy felt more like 2D Mario than NSMB did.

I also finished Metroid Prime 3 again. I seriously underrated that game. While it is the worst of the Metroid Prime games (bosses, story, levels, item usage all step down in quality from the previous games), it's still damn good. The Grapple Lasso is featured prominently and is fun to use (though I wish it had more importance that it did. If they make a 4th 3D Metroid game maybe they'll find more use for it), there are still some nuggets of genius bosses and levels, and the soundtrack is Kenji Yamamoto's usual Atmospheric brilliance. The controls are absolutely fantastic. The Wii has no excuse not to have fantastic FPS's when MP3 so clearly shows how an FPS should play on the console. They work so well that I'm going to buy the Trilogy so I don't have to feel weird playing Prime 1 and 2 later. Get the Trilogy when it comes out so you can play these 3 great games.

SFII: Remix still gets plenty of play. The designer of the game (David Sirlin (sirlin.net) did a fantastic job rebalancing the cast. They all play much better than they did in Super Turbo. He did so great that I felt no need to keep SFIV (sold it on eBay) since it paled in comparison. The ST and new art are great too.