View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM       
I would invariably get scolded by some crankypants who would be all THE RECIPES BELONG IN THE FOOD THREAD JEEZ

Oreo balls

1 package regular oreos (don't bother with the fancy color filling, it won't show up anyway)
1 block regular (not diet) cream cheese, room temperature
melting chocolate of your choice (I use ghirardelli chips, my mom uses the special candymaking chocolate)
mixer
food processor
double-boiling setup for melting chocolate

- grind up the oreos to a fine powder in the food processor. It might take slightly less than a whole package (as in, go ahead and help yourself to four or six, it won't matter)

-with the mixer on low, combine the powder with the cream cheese until it makes a consistently thick, dark paste.

- roll the paste into balls the size of shooter marbles and lay them out on a piece of waxed or parchment paper.

- melt your chocolate in the double-boil setup (so that it doesn't burn) and dip the balls however you see fit. As you finish dipping them, put them on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. When each batch is dipped, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes until the chocolate sets. Don't keep it in there for too long or the chocolate will crack.

- I let mine come back to room temperature on cooling racks, then drizzle them with contrasting chocolate (orange for Halloween, blue for winter, or whatever). You can dip them in color chocolate or whatever you want.

They'll keep at room temp, but you can refrigerate them. They don't usually last long enough for it to matter.