Thread: Alpha Protocol
View Single Post
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM        Alpha Protocol
I know a couple other people on the board have played this game, and I just wanted to say that it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews have been saying. There are certainly a number of technical issues, but overall I enjoyed the game.

The dialogue system reminded me a lot of the one in Mass Effect, where you just picked the general idea of your response, and your character works everything out himself. It's just harder to get a read on what your guy is going to say on account of only being able to choose the tone.

Shooting is kind of a hassle because your crosshairs are just a circle, and it never really gets smaller, no matter how good you are with a gun. You can line up critical hits if you let your aim linger for a bit, but there's always a fair degree of inaccuracy about it.

The stealth system is even more hit-and-miss. There's varying amounts of light in different areas, but detection is based off line of sight and noise (which you can't accurately gauge). Avoiding detection often boils down to using special stealth skills, like turning completely invisible for a time, to quickly race past enemies.

I enjoyed it, but it definitely has the feel of a game that was designed for a previous-gen system. I could kind of understand the combat being a little off since you're supposed to be a secret agent, but the stealth being so lame is pretty weak. Thank goodness you can half-ass the stealth and still make it through no problem.

Anybody else try it?