View Single Post
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
On the whole "blind man with a stick"- IIRC, George Patton died rather uncerimoniously when a drunk driver plowed him. I certainly don't think that takes away from his "badass" image.
I see your point, but this is fiction we're talking about here, where everything happens by the author's design. I would expect a more satisfying end for a character who is supposed to be such a badass.

Quote:
Quote:
because the books aren't canon
They are official. They are cannon except when the movies contradict them (which has happened a lot in the last 2). The only ones that aren't referenced are the anthologies.
They may be "official", but George Lucas shows them no regard whatsoever with the way he contradicts the shit out of them in the movies. So how much weight should we really be giving them? Although, to be fair, Lucas has shown an equal amount of disregard as far as the contradictions with the old MOVIES goes, so hell, maybe we should give them the same weight as the films.

Quote:
[
Quote:
In fact, most of them are shite.
Doesn't mean they aren't official. Hell, your standards disqualifies the vast majority of Star Trek movies and tv from any arguments.
I don't really see why you mention this. Yes, I agree, most of the Star Trek stuff sucks. But what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's really cool that Dengar helped him out after he escaped the Sarlaac.
In Tales of the Bounty Hunter (an anthology BTW), Fett gets himself out. Dengar showed up and got him medical attention to repay him for the mercy Fett showed him.
Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't that pretty much EXACTLY WHAT I SAID? That's the exact story I was referring to. (Also, that book sucked, not a single good story in the bunch...the IG-88 one was particularly laughable)

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, and then there's the fact that a naked Princess Leia was thrown into Boba Fett's quarters in Jabba's Palace, so Boba Fett, being a hardcore proponant of JUSTICE, covered her with a blanket and gave her his bunk, while he slept on the floor. What a great guy!
What does that have to do with justice? Chivalry ya, but we aren't talking about that. You wanted him to rape her? That would be a crime.
Yeah, and it would have been more realistic. I can't swallow all that "I love justice" bullshit. He certainly doesn't act that way in the movies, even if you look at the original trilogy. Working for the most evil son of a bitch in the galaxy, fraternizing with KNOWN criminals, gangsters even. Boba Fett is scum, not some heroic lawman.

Quote:
Quote:
I love how the special edition of ROTJ pretty much negates all of that shit about Boba Fett being this really moralistic guy by having him macking on the scummy dancing chicks.
So, flirting with a girl at a bar makes you an immoral heathen? shit, guess I'm going to hell.
No, but it certainly reinforces the scummy persona that was already there. The books tried to paint him as this noble lawman whose ONLY concern was his obsession with justice. I got the impression that he felt he was above "cheap sex" in the books. The ROTJ:SE portrays him as a guy who likes to party with CRIMINALS and PIRATES and get himself some pussy on his time off.

Quote:
Quote:
* The love story between Anakin and Padme is fucking ludicrous ("you just slaughtered a bunch of women and children??? that's so hot! wanna fuck???")
They had both been raised in emotionally crippling enviorments. How well adjusted do you think they should be?
Please. It's still absolutely ludicrous. "No, Annie, we can't be together, it just won't work. No! Absolutely not! I'm serious! We can't even be seen together! What's that? You killed a bunch of women and children? Well, maybe we can get together after all. "

Quote:
Quote:
* Darth Maul may have looked cool, but as a character, he sucked. And an old man (Count Dooku/Darth Tyrannus) showed him up, even if that old man IS Christopher Lee.
And a very powerful Jedi master, not an apprentice like Maul.
They both have the same title, "Darth", which I believe denotes their rank. Maul may have been relatively inexperienced, but I believe he was still a master. In the same sense that while Darth Vader was a master, he was still Palpatine's apprentice simply by virtue of his being Palpy's bitch.

Quote:
Quote:
Whatever happened to all those alien races that seem to be quite prevalent in Episodes I and II? Even on Tattooine, we see a lot of new and different aliens that we never see again. On Tattooine. I realize that this is a problem when you create a series of movies out of order, but it makes suspending my disbelief awfully difficult. I can accept that SOMETHING horrible probably happens to Naboo in Episode 3, otherwise it's pretty insane that we never hear of it or the Gungans again.
Palapatine was notoriuosly anti-nonhuman.
Riiiight, so he magically exterminated entire SPECIES of aliens who were widely spread throughout the galaxy? Wow, talk about thorough.