Thread: Halloween II
View Single Post
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM       
I never got past Rob Zombie's origins for the new Mike Myers. Part of the scariness was that he was just a normal kid who went berserk. The typical kid, who had never done anything weird until he suddenly dons a mask and stabs his sister to death, and then goes quiet for a few years until he goes apeshit again, and freaks out his psychologist to the point where that man is nearly driven insane.

But in the Zombieverse, it's just another case of Walmartitis. The only shocking thing about Mike turning killer is that he doesn't torture animals already. It's just a matter of time because the kid is stuck in a twisted, idealized version of the '70s that Zombie probably got from repeated viewings of Dazed & Confused. Then Zombie feels the need to explore the kid's psychosis through some of the most boring sequences ever. No mystery, no suspense, nothing new.

So I won't bother with Halloween II. I would want to, but Zombie simply doesn't know what makes the original work and how it could never be made in today's cinema with an unnatural focus on the minutia of procedure. The Shape's mystery is what really makes him an enduring character, and Zombie just wants to put him under a microscope and it destroys it completely.