View Single Post
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM       
I for one wouldn't like to see Quesada hired by DC to work with Batman or Superman. But what really irks me is that although we know and love these comic book heroes like Captain America and Spidey, there comes a time in a hero's life where he or she must go down from their mighty throne, and be remembered in their death like the heroes of old (Beowulf is an example, read the Poem, I'm not referring to the movie). Trouble is, the corporate Necromancers that lurk in the editorial desks think that they can sacrifice quality to keep a character like Aunt May alive. Maybe Superman should have stayed dead, but then we wouldn't have had Superman: Birthright or Red Son.

Really good comics, like The Sandman are now finished in their story arcs, but they finished when they were supposed to. Morpheus didn't end up in crappy plotlines like Quesada cooked up. He died with honour.

I know a lot of Manga can be just as bad as American comics, but there are some really good Mangas like Yotsuba&! and Apollo's Song (this last one is a really sad, but really powerful Manga by the same guy who created Astro Boy. And it's only one volume, forsaking the commercialness of the Astro Boy franchise he had in the 50s and 60s).

Maybe it is time we see our heroes die for good. If the old ones never die, though the elderly need to be respected while they live, there comes a time, like Aunt May, when they have to/should go because their time is up, new heroes cannot rise up and challenge new evildoers.

Harry Potter 7 was special as an event because it meant no more Harry Potter. People cared because it was the last time they would ever see a new Potter, after that, they would have to let go and reflect on a hero that changed their lives. I'm taking a "printed word booky-book" approach to this, which is usually non-applicable to comics, but comics should be as good as the best that the most talented authors in the book world can offer, not this commercial "One More Day!" trash that as I called it before, is just Corporate Necromancy.