View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
But enough with the sarcasm. When Jesus said to teach, he didn't say to berate. He didn't say convert. He didn't say to grandstand and make a nice cozy living off of televangelism.
Really? What does the word "baptize" mean to you? I again think that you are confusing what Christ told us to do, and how to behave, regarding our own expression of faith and love for God. Being "ascetic" and being a mute are two different things.

Would you say Jesus was a hypocrite, and that he didn't follow his own teachings? Did he lead an ascetic life, and did it entail never preaching, never debating, and yes, never berating? It would seem like this whole discussion would be difficult had he not. Even in this scripture he is making a comparison, he is judging how to be and how not to be, no?

Quote:
I mean for fuck's sake, Robertson claimed that HIS prayers steered a hurricane! How is the passage I quoted out of context or irrelevant?
You don't need to quote the Bible to dismiss Pat Robertson. We are all pretty much in agreement that he is an idiot and a lunatic. What he does is wrong, but the solution to this isn't the so-called "ascetic" life you speak of. Speaking is one thing, saying stuff that's crazy is another.

Quote:
Do you not see any difference between "teaching" and the sort of "wearing your Christianity as a badge of righteous authority" that Goat is talking about?
But if a Christian tries to teach, if they teach teach on college campuses, if they post signs which say "praise Jesus," or if they again do anything that doesn't seem to entail doing nothing, then they are "berating" you.

It's all about judgement. If a Christian tells you that your life is wrong, they are trying to teach you. They truly believe that they have heard the "Good News," and thatto not share it with you would be a disservice to you. If a Christian says this, either directly to you, on a billboard, or on television, you take offense. You're smarter than them, and how dare they judge you. Let's be honest, you don't want Christians trying to "educate" anybody. That's fine, but please don't pretend that you make this grand distinction between Pat Robertson and everybody else. I've seen no evidence of such on these boards.