View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Do you not see any difference between "teaching" and the sort of "wearing your Christianity as a badge of righteous authority" that Goat is talking about?
But if a Christian tries to teach, if they teach teach on college campuses, if they post signs which say "praise Jesus," or if they again do anything that doesn't seem to entail doing nothing, then they are "berating" you.
I have NEVER seen so-called Christians preaching on a college campus that weren't screaming or calling names. I've seen the Gideons handing out Bibles, and I'm Ok with that. Generally speaking, I'd see a sign posted about an outreach meeting at some local youth center or even a conference room is it's a RSO. Again, I have no problem with that.

If you can't see the line between pushing your beliefs and offering to discuss them, then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the parts of Christianity and most Christians that I find nice. But I think you do, and you're just being contentious cuz Goat uttered those two words that send you into kneejerk mode: "most Christians".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
If a Christian says this, either directly to you, on a billboard, or on television, you take offense. You're smarter than them, and how dare they judge you.
Wow, you know me so well! Yes, I get just so darn mad when I see a Jesus billboard or bumper sticker.

I don't think I'm smarter than a person of faith, and the fact that you say that bothers me more than anything else said in this thread.

I was raised to believe in Jesus. Others were raised to believe in the things their family believed. Just because I will no longer say that I am certain that the things I was taught are correct and that the things others were taught is wrong, does not make me smarter. I fully admit I do not know the truth. If reality is what the Christians say, then they are smarter than me, cuz they're going to heaven and I'm not (unless those once-saved-always-saved Christians are right). If reality is what the Bhuddists say, then both of us are fucked, and I don't think either of us could say we were smarter for it, but maybe we'll get it right on the next go-round.

I think it's kinda funny that you say that I think I'm smart for saying that I don't know stuff. I will admit that the "Militant Agnostic: I don't know and you don't either" bumper sticker my old neighbor had amused me. But I don't begrudge my new neighbor for buying me a book written by a minister who used to be an atheist either.