Thread: Nature
View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM       
when to plant what all depends on where you are. I start pea seedlings indoors in late April, and I transplant them outside as soon as they outgrow the seed starter. I string bird netting between two stakes and let them climb it.

Everything else, here, goes in around Mother's Day because that's when the big risk of frost is over. Everything I have growing now went in the ground the weekend before Mother's Day and everything's growing like crazy. I just harvested 6 yellow squash and zucchini the size of those souvenir baseball bats.
I have hundreds of tomatoes that aren't ripe yet. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with all of them because they're not all sauce tomatoes.

My mom grows a lemon tree in a small pot in a hot, humid room and she gets 2 or 3 full size lemons off it every year.

My great-grandmother used to mix something she called "panther piss" up and dump it on her plants, and her backyard was like this amazing jungle where everything was supersized. I wish I'd asked her how to make it while she was alive. I know they used to call whiskey "panther piss" and that you can buy real panther pee to keep deer away, but I think this was something my great-grandmother invented in her kitchen.