View Single Post
Ants Who Ruin Your Dinner
Codiekitty is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM       
I hate this game.

I don't think it's a stretch to say the camera is the worst I've yet dealt with.

The colossi fights are easy, drawn out, and tedious. The catfish where you plod around in this giant lake, trying to align yourself to get scooped up by its tail while avoiding those electrified barbs but the wanderer swims so slow and the camera and depth perception throw you off so much it takes forever to actually do this, and when you DO get on it, stab out the spines, and get to the head it submerges and you have to let go and do it aaaaaaall over again. The salamander I had to flip over ten times to kill the first time, though in a replay to get screenshots I discovered a way to cut it down to five, which takes it from "ridiculous" to "really unnecessary". The kappa where a glitch or oversight has the Dormin telling you to abandon what you're doing when you climb up its back, which gets you where you need to be. The dragon I figured out how to ground in two seconds, then took me another half hour of fluff to actually kill it. The final which I had to climb no less than five times because whenever I tried to jump from its left bicep to its right hand, the sloppy camera and controls would somehow put me on its tricep with my only option being to let go and climb up it again, climbing which amounts to "hold R1 and tap Triangle". Also, you're given the answers to fifteen of the sixteen colossi, either by the Dormin or the sword.

I guess I can see how the world could have been beautiful had more attention been put into the world and making it look less like a computer generated it and getting the grid patterns off everything, instead of seeing how high they could crank the fog and bloom.

It's riddled with cliches. The only reason the first lion is afraid of fire is because some law book out there says "beasts are afraid of fire". It's inflammable, which throws out "it can get hurt by fire" and it lives in a small temple with four giant candelabras, which throws out "it doesn't understand fire". The "big reveal" at the end can be seen coming a mile away because it's been used in just about every cartoon ever made. Hell, the game's bloody name is a cliche.

Also, I've determined that the only explanation for the plot and world is that the wanderer is Dracula incarnate. Or more likely, somebody was too caught up in trying to rip off Vagrant Story that they overlooked WHY what happened in Vagrant Story happened.