View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM       
Pickle check! It's been 3 days.

When I opened the jar, I was surprised and a little alarmed to see that much of the red pigment was gone from the liquid. Then I thought, well, no shit Kitsa, it's in the pickle skins. I guess it just absorbed faster than I thought it would.

The pickle is definitely red. The darker the original, the more turdlike the revision. I fished out a medium-dark one so you could see. There are really bright ones and really dark ones. I was impressed with the deep red color.

Let's bisect it and see how deep the pigment runs.

Surprisingly deep, really, given that it's only been three days. I had the idea originally that the pickles would be red all the way through and it could probably happen, but there's so little pigment left in the pickle brine I'm not sure exactly how. Maybe it's super-concentrated and seeps through gradually, dunno. Will have to keep an eye on it.

I also sliced it and did a taste test. It was surprising...if you could imagine an exact hybrid between sweet pickle and cherry kool-aid, this would be it. It wasn't completely unpleasant, anyway. If it were a dill pickle to start out, it probably would have been disgusting. But it was already sweet and a little tangy, so the cherry flavor wasn't completely out of place.

I'm not sure what the point is of soaking it for two whole weeks, as the flavor was fairly intense and the color took so quickly. I think I'm going to check it again in a few days and see what the rate of progress is.